Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 598,332 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Aliens is excellent.

I believe Aliens success and pervasiveness throughout popular culture, overshadows objective evaluation though.

Alien's anti-capitalist but Aliens' is ambiguous. The Company isn't evil/apathetic, Carter Burke is.

TC

TC

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 06, 2019, 03:05:21 PM
Aliens appeals to more demographics, especially the younger viewers who crave action and instant gratification.

That's why I loved it as a kid, but not so much now.

Huggsy, hmmm... I see. And how long has it been since the change of mind? No - wait! Don't tell me, since November, right? Around the time of Stan Lee's death?

Yep, they got to you alright. They got to you, and forced you to renounce all that is holy in the world. Them bastards!

And who is them? Why, Bill Maher of course and them others...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgInmHHO0m4

TC

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Now someone else is calling him "Huggsy".

My scheme is working exactly as planned.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 08, 2019, 02:06:38 PM
Now someone else is calling him "Huggsy".

My scheme is working exactly as planned.

Your oddly furless hands don't frighten me.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 07, 2019, 09:10:52 AMAlien's anti-capitalist but Aliens' is ambiguous. The Company isn't evil/apathetic, Carter Burke is.
Burke is the company and all it stands for - he's basically their avatar, and he's far worse than Ash in the first film because he's a human who decides to do what he does rather than being a preprogrammed android fulfilling a secret mission.

Not to take anything away from Ash but I always found that scary about Burke - he chooses to put profit over lives.

This also reminds me why I strongly dislike the half-assed 'Bishop put the egg on the Sulaco' theory as he's meant to be the anti-Ash, in Aliens' story Burke fulfills that sinister corporate role instead.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Aliens was my shit in HS.  I was obsessed with the world and lore of the movie.  But over time I have found that the characters and story border on caricature.  I don't know if it is because I've seen it one million times or the fact that it is basically the modern equivalent of an ancient epic where the formula has been ripped off so many times that I see it everywhere and it actually tarnishes the movie a little.

Over time I've come to appreciate Alien as the best in the franchises with both Aliens and Alien 3 being an equal somewhat farther down 2nd. 

Sometimes I wish the lore had followed the original movie more closely.

Aliens now feels like something that should've been like sequel number 4 or 5 to me.

I still prefer all of the original trilogy to Prometheus or Covenant and am not fond of the new direction the series is going.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 09, 2019, 05:07:15 AMAliens now feels like something that should've been like sequel number 4 or 5 to me.

It could be if you include Out of the Shadows and Isolation in your canon.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 09, 2019, 05:07:15 AM
Aliens was my shit in HS.  I was obsessed with the world and lore of the movie.  But over time I have found that the characters and story border on caricature.  I don't know if it is because I've seen it one million times or the fact that it is basically the modern equivalent of an ancient epic where the formula has been ripped off so many times that I see it everywhere and it actually tarnishes the movie a little.

Over time I've come to appreciate Alien as the best in the franchises with both Aliens and Alien 3 being an equal somewhat farther down 2nd. 

Sometimes I wish the lore had followed the original movie more closely.

Aliens now feels like something that should've been like sequel number 4 or 5 to me.

I still prefer all of the original trilogy to Prometheus or Covenant and am not fond of the new direction the series is going.

Agreed. I was obsessed with it back then too. It was just a badass action movie featuring my favorite creature. Probably saw it 500 or 600 times when I was a kid. But over time it just seemed too cliche and the original film severely began to grow on me.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Alien: Resurrection of course.

We needed a Frenchman to show these Limeys and Yanks how to do a real Alien movie. That's why Europe rules.

Spoiler
Just joking, although I genuinely like A:R
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 09, 2019, 08:34:19 AM
Agreed. I was obsessed with it back then too. It was just a badass action movie featuring my favorite creature. Probably saw it 500 or 600 times when I was a kid. But over time it just seemed too cliche and the original film severely began to grow on me.

But you told me you only can count to ten. Twenty with your shoes off. So how'd you count to 600?

The Old One

The Old One

Recess you!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 09, 2019, 04:42:49 PM

We needed a Frenchman to show these Limeys and Yanks how to do a real Alien movie. That's why Europe rules.

Spoiler
[close]

I don't care for Alien Res as an alien movie BUT as a standalone it is watchable.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 09, 2019, 06:45:44 PM
Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 09, 2019, 04:42:49 PM

Spoiler
[close]

I don't care for Alien Res as an alien movie BUT as a standalone it is watchable.

Res as a sequel is what Hot Shots Part Deux is to Rambo: First Blood

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

That is about as apt description of how I feel about it as has ever been sent through the digi-space. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Mar 09, 2019, 09:14:06 PM
Res as a sequel is what Hot Shots Part Deux is to Rambo: First Blood

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed