Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL!

Started by Lemonade, Jun 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Author
Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL! (Read 195,138 times)

Corporal Hicks

He's talking about this quote from the HitFix interview:

Quote"Taking the Predator, which has lost some of that mystery, and trying to re-engage it with that or re-immerse it in the feeling we had with Close Encounters of discovery. Something is happening, we don't know what. There's an incursion, there's been a breach, something has come to Earth and there's a mystery to be solved. I think that's kind of important for a Predator movie. It's not just "hey, another one! Honey, there's a Predator in the barn again. Could you just...he's at the pigs again...could you?" There's that sense of we've seen it, we've seen it. How do you make it feel like a scary new alien invasion movie again?"

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Whats you're take on that, Hicks?

Corporal Hicks

I think Black is talking in broad terms there, not that the Predators are going to be mounting an all out invasion of Earth. Just a single Predator getting to Earth could be classed as an invasion of our home and I think that's what he means.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 17, 2016, 08:26:59 PM
I think Black is talking in broad terms there, not that the Predators are going to be mounting an all out invasion of Earth. Just a single Predator getting to Earth could be classed as an invasion of our home and I think that's what he means.

[Nods] Right... and I agree with that.

overthere

overthere

In that context, invasion clearly refers to one Predator. One person/being can invade something, for example, someone can invade your privacy.

LordCassusSnow

Hmm, if the predator tech in this movie is supposed to be more advanced, maybe its the preds field testing new hunting technology on us? Kinda like Neca's Ambush Predator? Ive also had dudes from the military tell me how, with modern weapons, a group specifically tasked with hunting the alien hunters down would succeed. Predator Turnabout also lends some truth to that fact as well as Predator Incursion. Our tech is catching up, its definitely time our predators step up as well.

The Alien Predator

Predators are too few to cause an invasion.

It'll be more like a Predator *puts on sunglasses* Incursion....

;D

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 17, 2016, 07:18:30 PM
He's talking about this quote from the HitFix interview:

Quote"Taking the Predator, which has lost some of that mystery, and trying to re-engage it with that or re-immerse it in the feeling we had with Close Encounters of discovery. Something is happening, we don't know what. There's an incursion, there's been a breach, something has come to Earth and there's a mystery to be solved. I think that's kind of important for a Predator movie. It's not just "hey, another one! Honey, there's a Predator in the barn again. Could you just...he's at the pigs again...could you?" There's that sense of we've seen it, we've seen it. How do you make it feel like a scary new alien invasion movie again?"

What predator movie wasnt about this?

All Pred movies including the AvP follow this style. Pred 2 where there was a unit hunting it STILL was able to show the hunter as an unknown.

Im not liking the sound of this statement.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 18, 2016, 04:02:14 AM
Predators are too few to cause an invasion.

It'll be more like a Predator *puts on sunglasses* Incursion....

;D

Go back to your corner, TAP! Go now!  :laugh:

http://screencrush.com/shane-black-nice-guys-clipography/

Quote"Hey Billy"
From Predator (1987)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNZYOQ_tt8

Oh God. So I'm very familiar with this clip.

[laughs]

This is a bad take. They used it because you had to shout [to be heard over the helicopter's engine] and it doesn't work when you shout. These are actually two jokes that I wrote for the film; well, I didn't write them, I put them in. But I think it's sort of odd and fun to have them in there. I'm only surprised the director went along with it.

You've got to look for something to make your character distinctive. And unfortunately they wanted me to write for the other characters as well, and I said "Hey man, I'm just an actor."

Well, that was another question I had, because I love the story on the Predator making-of documentary where they're like, "We'll hire Shane as an actor, and when he's on set we'll get him to rewrite the script!" And then you're like, "Yeah, I didn't do that." But you don't explain how you got out of it, so that's what I want to know. How did you get out of rewriting that script?

There was no contract, there was an "understanding." And the truth is I looked at the script and I thought, "We don't need more wisecracks." David Peoples, who's a wonderful writer, did a whole draft of them going to brothels together and being clowns and having setups and payoffs in the jungle of them pranking each other. It completely took away from the originality and simplicity of the very strong concept that was there. So I didn't think it needed help. And I was happy to tell them that I didn't think so, especially since I didn't really feel like doing any writing [laughs].

It's kind of ironic, though, that all these years later, you are working on a new Predator. What was it this time around that got you interested in the material?

I think there's a real strength in the first one: The mythology of seeing it through fresh eyes as though it's new. At the time it was a "What the f---, why didn't I think of that?" kind of idea. And then it became sort of standard. Over the years, Fox rendered it household by putting out a new movie every couple years with the same sort of $50 million budget. But never the sense that you would get your tickets in advance. It was like, "Oh Predator's out again. I guess I can see one more of those."

We want to establish it the same way you would establish the typical Tom Cruise movie, or the new [Planet of the] Apes movie, where people are aware of it as a potential event. We really tried this time to reinvigorate it — and the challenge was to make it as fresh as interesting and mysterious in its way as that first one was, and really pay homage to the suspense of the original. It's not just going to be Friday the 13th with Predators roaming around, popping out for scares. We want to do it with a spirit of adventure and mystery. And I hope we can get the sort of event status going that really makes people aware that this is a kind of thing that we put more money into and paid extra attention to. It's not just another knockoff.

overthere

overthere

Sounds good. HuDa's going to ask Shane a few questions today?

Shane's focusing on the mystery part, so I wonder just how much of spine-ripping, Predator brutality are we going to see, and keep it a mystery? I want to see a lot of people get killed in cool ways by the Predator.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Hopefully he'll get to ask some.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/0/0/e00914f772d90943/nwp272_shane_black.mp3?c_id=11725438&expiration=1463573063&hwt=96039f5c25bf9b3b47bd426872e24933

Shane Black apparently talks about Predator in this. No idea when though. Starting to listen to now.

overthere

overthere

I didn't know Shane Black was such a cool guy. He seems eccentric but in a good way. He's aware of the criticism of his work and even addressed Iron Man 3 criticism in a funny way. I didn't know anything about him, but after reading and listening to these interviews, now I like the guy.

I skimmed through the whole thing and didn't hear any mention of The Predator. When exactly does he mention it?

He mentions it around 00:28:30 and the host asks him to remind him about the follow up question later. I don't think they ever got to it again.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

34 minutes and he asks his follow-up. He's been asked about taking on an existing property and what he wants to bring to it. He's talking about the event film concept again. He's also mentioned he wants to return to the tension and mystery that he loved from the first and that the first wasn't about creature effects.

He also talks fan pandering re: Iron-Man and Predator around 39 minutes. Ie: He wont.

overthere

overthere

I like what he said.

"Start real but then something's off. Something's wrong, something's here that shouldn't be"
"There's been an alien incursion, we know about it, people have known about it for years, and you start to peel the mystery away, you know, what is this thing?"

I like the sound of that.

And the whole "Hey Billy" redneck joke :D

I'm more and more excited about the movie every time Shane mentions it.

Mike

Mike

Why did ShaneBlack say the reasoning for not writing the script was because he's an actor. He wrote the Lethal Weapon movies

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed