Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 287,685 times)

SM

SM

From memory Female War was something of an improvement on Earth War.

predxeno

predxeno

How so? ???

SM

SM

They didn't have to shoehorn in relationship between Ripley and Biliie and Wilks that existed in the original comic, but is incongruous in the re-write.  The Ripley thing is kinda meh, but probably about the only thing they could've done given the brief.  I remember the stuff towards the end being a lot better than the comic too (though I found the extra long timer on the nukes a bit lacking).  It's still lacking in some respects, but the dodgy writing in Earth War was amplified by the awful artwork.  Female War didn't have that aspect to drag it down.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The novelization definitely handles the Wilks/Billie retcon better than the comic does. If I remember right, the Perry novels came out before the re-done comics, as well.

RakaiThwei

Apparently this is one of the covers for what maybe the Alien vs Predator reboot comics drawn by Mike Mignola.

.....Yeah, I don't like this cover.

-Rakai'Thwei

predxeno

predxeno

^The Ultimate Irony.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I don't mind it, it's very Mignola.

It's not as good as his work on Aliens: salvation, though.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Mike Mignola is pimptacular.

RakaiThwei

Mignola's drawn better Predators. I may not like his art style, but I know he's drawn some better Predators in the past.

This one here is... kind of underwhelming.

-Rakai'Thwei

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I actually can't remember seeing any Mignola art of a Predator.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 14, 2013, 03:09:52 AM
I actually can't remember seeing any Mignola art of a Predator.

Really? Cause I know he did a cover for the original Alien vs Predator comics. It featured a Predator and Alien fighting in a bamboo yard and the Predator was spearing the Alien through the torso. He also did work for Batman vs Predator. Like down below.

Compare the Predators he's drawn below to the new one. Judge for yourself.

If you ask me, Mignola's drawn Aliens and Predators better before.. A LOT BETTER.

-Rakai'Thwei

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Oh shit, for some reason I didn't realize that AvP cover was Mignola.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Mignola has done better Predators and Aliens, which is a shame considering that he's doing a cover for the reboot comics and looking at the way he's drawn the Alien and Predator, but also looking back at the work he has done for the characters is an underwhelming realization that he has done better work on them back then than he does now. This new cover is just... well.. I don't like it and I just feel that the characters depicted in this new cover could have been done a lot better.

-Rakai'Thwei

SpreadEagleBeagle

I like Mignola's stuff. But his style really doesn't work here. Usually I prefer artistic interpretation, but ALIEN comics are the exception - I prefer the art to be as generic and/or naturalistic as possible.

Ultramorph

I've been following threads here on AVP Galaxy for over a year, but I decided to register so I can comment on these new comic series. The Mignola AVP cover that popped up yesterday got me even more excited, since I don't mind the stylized nature, and am pretty much excited to hear anything new about this project. I thought I'd share this link to an article from Bloody Disgusting, where Scott Allie talks a bit more about the Prometheus comic.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3268879/exclusive-interview-dark-horse-editor-in-chief-scott-allie-recaps-2013-reveals-publishing-plans-for-2014/

The specific quotes that really caught my attention was this:

"Where we're taking the story springs from the various films, from Mike's initial ideas on the properties, and it's guided by the work being done now on Prometheus 2. I've been happy that the things that the group of writers have gotten the most excited about have all managed to work out—have made it through the rounds of approvals we have to deal with, and that when we did have to alter our thinking on an idea, this group was able to rally and come up with something that we all felt was even better than the first draft, as it were. Scripts and covers are pouring in now, and the first interior pages, and I'm just dying to cut to next fall when we have everything in our hands, see how it all worked out."

I know Ridley Scott has stated that he doesn't care for AVP or the idea of a shared universe, but it's interesting that we may see some concepts from the in-progress Prometheus sequel showing up in the new comics. The only disappointing thing is that we have to wait until the summer, it would seem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed