Prey in SFX Magazine August 2022

Started by Darkness, Jul 08, 2022, 07:06:28 PM

Author
Prey in SFX Magazine August 2022 (Read 21,086 times)

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 13, 2022, 01:57:16 PMOr it could be something we just haven't seen in action yet.
Rather this, I think.

The projectile of the speargun-like weapon is most likely the arrow which embedded into a tree, in the first trailer.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Master on Jul 13, 2022, 01:32:33 PMI  don't like smaller head.

I fail to see that, I must admit.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Same, I really dig the proportions

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Xerxész on Jul 13, 2022, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Jul 13, 2022, 01:57:16 PMOr it could be something we just haven't seen in action yet.
Rather this, I think.

The projectile of the speargun-like weapon is most likely the arrow which embedded into a tree, in the first trailer.

The one towards the end of the trailer during the French settler scenes? I think that might be his combi-stick or someone else's spear. It looks way too big to be a projectile from that weapon, especially given that it looks like it's pinning a guy's head to the tree and going right through it.

Doomofman

Doomofman

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 13, 2022, 02:34:21 PM
Quote from: Xerxész on Jul 13, 2022, 02:10:29 PM
Rather this, I think.

The one towards the end of the trailer during the French settler scenes? I think that might be his combi-stick or someone else's spear. It looks way too big to be a projectile from that weapon, especially given that it looks like it's pinning a guy's head to the tree and going right through it.
I agree, I think that's the spear and it's just some clever editing. I think whatever is fired at the pair in the field is what's fired from the gun thing

SuperiorIronman

I'm thinking what we're looking at isn't a sword but a sort of pistol. Fairly convinced it is. The holster is too short and while Predator weapons are collapsible and don't have to conform to what they're actually stored in (been a thing with Wristblades for forever), I'm fairly certain that's a pistol.

I don't think it's a speargun though. The spear in the trailer I'm also fairly certain is the spear on his belt. We've seen them throw spears before in both the solo and crossover films as well as games. So I think it's more likely that's what he's hit by. It also doesn't look like it's on his belt in the same place when he's leaping through the trees.

Honestly it's probably a dedicated plasma pistol. Tractchenberg is probably playing coy. There is no shoulder cannon, but Feral absolutely still has a plasmacaster, it's just in pistol form. That's not out of the question, Hunting Grounds has a dedicated pistol and while Wolf's doesn't resemble it, Wolf's wasn't a pistol to begin with. It was an improvised weapon.

As an aside I don't like the smaller dreads. Practically I think that makes sense for a smaller head for Dane's suit. But I think the texturing was the better update for them. I'm torn on it given I can see the usage but I don't think it looks as good. Also in the still you can see the seam in the suit. Not like they're going to focus on it but for the screenshot or really any post-production you'd have hoped they'd cover that. Not a deal breaker but had they lowered the backpack to his actual back rather than sling it over his shoulder we wouldn't be seeing it as easy. Not a deal breaker like I said, it's not that noticeable and if I can accept the various goofs with stormtroopers I should here.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 13, 2022, 01:37:19 PMI'm really, really liking some of the stuff I'm reading in this article!

For one, they pretty much straight-up confirm that they will be viewing this Predator through the lens of tribal legend/cryptid!

"Every tribe has monster stories. For Comanches, it's called Pia Mupitsi [Big Cannibal Owl]. It's this big tall creature that kills people. It's the scary story that you tell children if you want them to behave before the Mupitsi is gonna come and get you. So the fact that we could use Mupitsi in this film, it's amazing."

And then taking a quick look on Wikipedia:

"Children were also told about Big Maneater Owl (Pia Mupitsi), who lived in a cave on the south side of the Wichita Mountains and ate bad children at night."

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

;D  ;D  ;D

Also Dan Trachtenberg 100% confirming that this isn't the first time Predators have been to Earth period, just that this is Feral's first hunt here:

""I want to specifically say this, because I think there's been some confusion how people have understood: in my mind, this is not a prequel movie, this isn't, 'Let's tell the origin of the Predator.' This is really something that's set prior to the original Predator movie. And the Predator creature in this one, this is its first time travelling to Earth. Who's to say if any Predator at any point has ever been to Earth prior? But for us, this Predator is discovering this planet and looking for who was on top. We use that code to examine the larger themes of the movie."

I also really like that angle, that Feral is going to be hunting various different things here - as we've seen in the trailers with the bear and the wolf - essentially looking for the toughest prey. Then he gets to the Comanche and he's like "ok, here we go...."

So yep, reading this article definitely makes me even more hyped than I already was to see this! ;D

f**k yes to all of this.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 13, 2022, 01:37:19 PMFor one, they pretty much straight-up confirm that they will be viewing this Predator through the lens of tribal legend/cryptid!

"Every tribe has monster stories. For Comanches, it's called Pia Mupitsi [Big Cannibal Owl]. It's this big tall creature that kills people. It's the scary story that you tell children if you want them to behave before the Mupitsi is gonna come and get you. So the fact that we could use Mupitsi in this film, it's amazing."

That is especially exciting to me! I was really hoping that kind of folklore would make its way into this movie. Seemed like a huge missed opportunity if it didn't! So glad it's actually happening.

brokentusk420

:laugh: those dreads look so dumb! They are never gonna learn to stop screwing around with what was already perfect in the first two movies. Unless you are blind and in denial every predator design has been a complete disaster. The only one that want was Wolf and it barely is passable. His mandible are still garbage. Mark my words this will be no different and people will still praise this crap.

SuperiorIronman

Whatever fires at the guy Naru pulls away is a red bolt. In Predator 2 the spear gun lights up blue when fired but the projectile is visible as a dart. Going back in time here where the cloak is now orangish red, I think this might be an extension of that. The bolt is now red instead of the typical blue. And not unprecedented either. City Hunter's bolts both from the wrist launcher and plasmacaster are a sort of yellow.

In this case while it could be a spear gun, I'm still willing to say that it's some sort of plasma pistol given precedent. We've seen different colored plasma bolts and the P2 spear only lit up when fired. Not to say anything back in time couldn't have, it's just I think the plasma pistol is more likely. Cause then that also raises the question, where's the ammo stored? We could assume in the backpack, but then why wouldn't the gun be some sort of belt fed gun if it has to be reloaded, yeah Predator weapons are big but I can't imagine it has a ton all on its own. Though I'm kind of into the idea of the Predator having to load a spear gun like a revolver.

BlueMarsalis79

I have a funny feeling this will end up being my favourite Predator film.

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 13, 2022, 02:34:21 PMThe one towards the end of the trailer during the French settler scenes? I think that might be his combi-stick or someone else's spear. It looks way too big to be a projectile from that weapon, especially given that it looks like it's pinning a guy's head to the tree and going right through it.

Quote from: Doomofman on Jul 13, 2022, 02:36:10 PMI agree, I think that's the spear and it's just some clever editing. I think whatever is fired at the pair in the field is what's fired from the gun thing

I checked the trailer again, and you are right. It is the spear in the tree; the shape of the spear's grip does match with the new picture.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Jul 13, 2022, 02:56:37 PM:laugh: those dreads look so dumb! They are never gonna learn to stop screwing around with what was already perfect in the first two movies. Unless you are blind and in denial every predator design has been a complete disaster. The only one that want was Wolf and it barely is passable. His mandible are still garbage. Mark my words this will be no different and people will still praise this crap.

What "people" are you talking about ?

Feral_PRED

I really want the folklore aspect to be explored, there's a lot of potential for a spiritual journey here.

The dreads don't really bother me that much. It really makes the pred appear slimer.

The thing that will make it or break it for me is the face.

Bring me another trailer and I'll be happy.  ;D

brokentusk420

brokentusk420

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 13, 2022, 03:08:14 PM
Quote from: brokentusk420 on Jul 13, 2022, 02:56:37 PM:laugh: those dreads look so dumb! They are never gonna learn to stop screwing around with what was already perfect in the first two movies. Unless you are blind and in denial every predator design has been a complete disaster. The only one that want was Wolf and it barely is passable. His mandible are still garbage. Mark my words this will be no different and people will still praise this crap.

What "people" are you talking about ?

The dumb ones who will show up and praise garbage just because it's a franchise movie. Same ones who show up in mass to praise contrived garbage movies like the JW trilogy. We will never get better movie like the originals until people stop paying to see them. Studios don't have incentive to make objectively good movies. Just ones they feel will be a good return investment. Look no further than the JW trilogy or the latest SW trilogy. Absolute garbage, still made a bunch of money thus a success in the studios eyes. Dumb people, and there are a lot of them, are the problem.

Quote from: Feral_PRED on Jul 13, 2022, 03:18:10 PMI really want the folklore aspect to be explored, there's a lot of potential for a spiritual journey here.

The dreads don't really bother me that much. It really makes the pred appear slimer.

The thing that will make it or break it for me is the face.

Bring me another trailer and I'll be happy.  ;D

I admire your optimism but if one thing is off, I'd bet my last dollar that face is gonna be so jacked up and barely resemble anything of quality. It will not have the right mandible structure or teeth. It will look like some over done fan fiction fan art crap. Complete with horns and other unessecary facial structures. Everytime they try to reinvent the wheel it doesn't work. The emissary predators were a f**king laughable. So was fugitive. They barely look like a predator. More like something from the dregs of deviant art.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed