David the creator

Started by Dropship, Jun 25, 2018, 03:04:14 PM

Author
David the creator (Read 38,614 times)

SM

SM

When you're Charlie Holiday, you get to open your presents every day.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2018, 05:20:53 AM
When you're Charlie Holiday, you get to open your presents every day.

Even Heimdall couldn't stop Charlie Holiday.  ;)

SM

SM

Worth drinking to, I'd imagine.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 02, 2018, 05:06:28 AM
David being the creator is just the latest nail in the coffin. Even if the prequels stop right now, I'm concerned that all they will have accomplished is to say the Jockeys are just big bald guys, and the xenomorphs were created by an android with daddy issues. After two movies, I'm still wondering what the overall plan was here? How have they improved the franchise? What positive ideas have they contributed?

We still know squat diddly about the engineers, who should be the most interesting part of these movies, yet look at covenant. Zilch, Nada, Nunca, Zip. Just hollow hills and empty rooms. It's so unsatisfying. We're learning very little. And if that's the plan, then frankly, the space jockeys and xenomorphs were more impressive and frightening as large and ancient alien creatures that we knew nothing about.

Financial and political stuff aside, I always saw this overall storyline as a fight between Intelligence/technology and unbridled/furious nature. No amount of technology, advanced weaponry, or careful planning is really enough to save everyone from it. That and these are monster movies. It's supposed to be a scary experience about things that want to eat you. All of these philosophical and theological concepts Ridley has been injecting into this franchise is like trying to get motorcycle mileage out of a full-size truck. You're asking too much of the wrong machine. The design was perfect for its task already.

If they make another prequel, yes I'll watch it. But I'll find myself quoting Holiday/Holloway. "This is just another tomb".   Amen brother.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 02, 2018, 04:46:16 AM
The best part is SM is laughing at something I didn't say, but couldn't know that because he's got me on ignore.

:D
I've got issues with the prequels, and I feel that on the whole they've been a detriment to the overall franchise, but I'll step up to bat for them in one regard: thematic and philosophical stuff is cool and good, and has been present in all the Alien movies (yes, all of them), but that kind of thematic stuff is more effective when it's more subtle and not quite as on-the-nose as it has been with the Alien prequels.

The themes that are tossed around in the prequels (man's search for god, the dangers of too much knowledge, the relationship between creators and their creations, the nature of beliefs, man's place in the universe, etc) are legitimately interesting and worth exploring, but the manner in which they've been handled has undermined some of the preexisting themes and ideas that were present in the older movies.

Given the back-and-forth during Prometheus' production on whether it would be an Alien movie at all, I think it's clear that Ridley Scott is more interested in telling his horror-space-opera story, and using the Alien name is an effective way to guarantee an audience. I've said it before, I think disconnecting it from the Alien series would have allowed Scott to take bigger and more interesting risks without being hamstrung by Alien franchise baggage, but new sci-fi stories are a shaky gamble in Hollywood, whereas using the Alien name as a crutch is a pretty safe bet.

One could also argue that given the quotes in the past where Ridley has flat out said that the Alien is dead, played out, and not scary, that the prequels are his attempts to euthanize the franchise by "ruining" it. Given Covenant's underperformance at the box office, it seems to be working.
But like I said before, Ridley says a lot of things.

I don't personally think he's actively trying to ruin Alien, but he's using it as a means to tell the space-story he really wants to tell, and if Alien is a casualty in the process, then so be it.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 02, 2018, 05:49:24 AM
I've got issues with the prequels, and I feel that on the whole they've been a detriment to the overall franchise, but I'll step up to bat for them in one regard: thematic and philosophical stuff is cool and good, and has been present in all the Alien movies (yes, all of them), but that kind of thematic stuff is more effective when it's more subtle and not quite as on-the-nose as it has been with the Alien prequels.

The themes that are tossed around in the prequels (man's search for god, the dangers of too much knowledge, the relationship between creators and their creations, the nature of beliefs, man's place in the universe, etc) are legitimately interesting and worth exploring, but the manner in which they've been handled has undermined some of the preexisting themes and ideas that were present in the older movies.

Given the back-and-forth during Prometheus' production on whether it would be an Alien movie at all, I think it's clear that Ridley Scott is more interested in telling his horror-space-opera story, and using the Alien name is an effective way to guarantee an audience. I've said it before, I think disconnecting it from the Alien series would have allowed Scott to take bigger and more interesting risks without being hamstrung by Alien franchise baggage, but new sci-fi stories are a shaky gamble in Hollywood, whereas using the Alien name as a crutch is a pretty safe bet.

One could also argue that given the quotes in the past where Ridley has flat out said that the Alien is dead, played out, and not scary, that the prequels are his attempts to euthanize the franchise by "ruining" it. Given Covenant's underperformance at the box office, it seems to be working.
But like I said before, Ridley says a lot of things.

I don't personally think he's actively trying to ruin Alien, but he's using it as a means to tell the space-story he really wants to tell, and if Alien is a casualty in the process, then so be it.

Well said.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2018, 04:41:26 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2018, 01:52:12 AM
At least we got to "And even if I'm wrong I'll just imagine I'm right anyway" faster this time.

:laugh:

Can we refrain from antagonising each other, please? It'd mean the world to me and my blood pressure.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 01, 2018, 08:44:44 AM
Ridley Scott says a lot of things, and what he says changes from movie to movie.

Tis true. Scott also said he doesn't think AI's could actually create something. That said, tt was 100% Scott's intention when making Covenant that David be their creator. How that pans out given the reaction to the film...we'll see...perhaps.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 30, 2018, 10:49:14 AM
Just because he created something doesn't mean he was the sole, original creator. Also, sure David says how he did it, but he's also an unreliable source of information.

David gets the author of the Ozymandias quote wrong - that detail wasn't put in the movie by accident.

I hadn't actually considered David being unreliable as an open avenue. Certainly makes some sense and is a possible way out of him being the creator if that's where they decide to go with it.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jun 30, 2018, 06:12:10 AM
If there is a "true Alien" (or a pure Alien, so to speak), it's probably not the xenomorph. The murals in LV-223 are the only references of these creatures since the Deacon was created through a random and convoluted chain of events.

https://i.imgur.com/N5PjRmx.jpg

The murals definitely indicate that the Engineers had some knowledge of or reverence of something Alien-like. I really wish we could have heard more of the thinking or considerations behind that mural. Shame the Steves never really seem to talk about their work.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Makes sense to me, they could very easily switch directions story-wise if they decide to make the Aliens an ancient cosmic horror again.

David was malfunctioning and a few deaths were involved. He was an older model and that could never happen now with our behavioral inhibitors... are you sure you dont want some cornbread?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You just keep the hell away from me, 426Buddy!

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I guess he didn't like the corn bread either.

426Buddy

426Buddy

The cornbread is perfectly safe, I assure you.

The Old One

The Old One

Take a look, something to eat.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 02, 2018, 07:21:45 PM
Take a look, something to eat.

The trick, is not minding that it's cornbread.

SiL

SiL

At least we got to "And even if I'm wrong I'll just imagine I'm right anyway" faster this time.

The best part is SM is laughing at something I didn't say, but couldn't know that because he's got me on ignore.

Straw man arguments are the best kind of arguments. ;D
It really is. The film isn't ambiguous. It's clear he's explaining how he made the Alien. But you don't care; you'll still imagine a scenario where you're right and David somehow isn't the creator.

And for SM's edification: you said that even if David isn't lying or mistaken in how he created the Alien, that doesn't mean somebody else at some other point didn't somehow follow the same steps to get to exactly the same creature earlier.

Which, yeah, is "I don't care what the film says I'm going to just believe what I want".

426Buddy

426Buddy

Or that since the film showcases that David doesnt know who actually created Ozymandias, then maybe hes wrong about who originally created the Xeno even if he doesnt know it. The film goes through some trouble to point out that David is malfunctioning and cant be trusted in any way. Heck we'll never know what actually happened between him and shaw because David is contantly lying or maybe isnt even sure anymore just judging by his drawings.

Even though Scott wanted David to be the actual creator, he has an opening to change his mind... Like he alwaye seems to do minute to minute.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jul 02, 2018, 11:19:27 PM

Straw man arguments are the best kind of arguments. ;D
It really is. The film isn't ambiguous. It's clear he's explaining how he made the Alien. But you don't care; you'll still imagine a scenario where you're right and David somehow isn't the creator.

And for SM's edification: you said that even if David isn't lying or mistaken in how he created the Alien, that doesn't mean somebody else at some other point didn't somehow follow the same steps to get to exactly the same creature earlier.

Which, yeah, is "I don't care what the film says I'm going to just believe what I want".
David saying he created something doesn't mean he actually did it just because he said it. That's the point of the Ozymandias bit - David is faulty and has issues with getting things right when it comes to creators. You're fixating on the fact that David said something and not looking at the broader context of what David says and does. He's a faulty, unreliable sociopath with a god complex, why on earth should I believe anything he says?

Also, given the Space Jockey and Derelict's apparent age in 'Alien', it's really easy to conclude that David is wrong even if he doesn't realize it. That's not me making up some scenario, that's me actually using what's presented on screen and interpreting it.

Like it's not rocket science - Corporal Hicks and the poster after him (and someone else later on) understood the idea. They may not agree with it, but they had the common decency to acknowledge that it's a viable interpretation and not immediately jump to snide comments. :)

Edit— case in point, the post right above mine that was made as I was writing this one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed