Stupidity of the Ego: In defence of Prometheus and Covenant

Started by Ingwar, Aug 26, 2019, 08:15:30 PM

Author
Stupidity of the Ego: In defence of Prometheus and Covenant (Read 16,493 times)

Huggs

It's not all turdy. Just the @$$ end of it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Mar 09, 2020, 11:49:56 PM
QuoteI can understand that, and it's fair enough, but it doesn't make it a turd film.

I can't understand it.  David rules.

It's a very, very long way from a turd.

Not turd. "Turdy flame"   ;D

The Old One

The Old One

I'd genuinely rank it above everything after the original Alien Trilogy apart from The Cold Forge and Phalanx.

SiL

QuoteI can understand that, and it's fair enough, but it doesn't make it a turd film.

I can't understand it.  David rules..
I really like Prometheus David, but Covenant David plays like a bad Bond villain for me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Mar 10, 2020, 02:51:15 AM

I really like Prometheus David, but Covenant David plays like a bad Bond villain for me.

SM

He's at least an average Bond villain.

Huggs

But bond villains don't win.

And David is enjoying so much win.

Voodoo Magic

I'm pretty certain David would have lost in the third film.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Mar 10, 2020, 03:05:56 AM
Eh, he's a Dr No at best.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Mar 10, 2020, 04:15:59 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 10, 2020, 03:05:56 AM
Eh, he's a Dr No at best.

He's more of a Baron Samedi. Which is actually higher up in terms of awesomeness. Dr. No didn't have a real Dragon or actual hands, so he kinda sucks.

SiL

Yeah, he kind'a sucks -- that's my point!

Although nice 6 degrees of separation; Live and Let Die's main villain was Kananga, played by none other than Yaphet Koto.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Mar 10, 2020, 04:48:07 AM
Yeah, he kind'a sucks -- that's my point!

Although nice 6 degrees of separation; Live and Let Die's main villain was Kananga, played by none other than Yaphet Koto.

I know. But Kananga lost all credibility with me when he tried to snuff Jane Seymour. Bad guy or not, you don't feed a woman like that to sharks.

As for David though, let me rephrase. Dr. No sucks. David kinda sucks. Although he sucked slightly less in Prometheus. The suckage increased in Covenant though, so I guess you could say he just got better at it. Sucking, that is.

SiL

Covenant David is as lame as Dr No as far as I'm concerned. Prometheus David was better.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 09, 2020, 11:43:16 PM
And it was neat to see it walking bipedal again. But yes, it was definitely lacking the proper Alien gravitas that you'd expect Ridley to do best.

Completely agree there. When the Alien comes into the terraforming bay at the end was genuinely creepy as shit. I actually think the Alien does look genuinely good, even if it is CG.

Personally I quite like him. He could have toned down the obvious at times, but I do like the thematic elements behind his villainy.

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 10, 2020, 12:55:01 AM
I'd genuinely rank it above everything after the original Alien Trilogy apart from The Cold Forge and Phalanx.

I'd throw in Isolation there, but also agreed.

David Weyland

Draws masses from Lecter, maybe too much; the drawings, Clarice(Shaw)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed