The Alien King/Male Counterpart to the Xenomorph; Suggestions and Ideas

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Jul 17, 2019, 03:27:23 AM

Author
The Alien King/Male Counterpart to the Xenomorph; Suggestions and Ideas (Read 47,948 times)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 31, 2020, 01:30:50 AM
I think because of the renewed focus on the films, it's nigh impossible, if not entirely so. "Patience is everything." Though as David says.

I highly doubt it'll ever see the light of the silver screen-I mean more like, well, for example its implementation in the Alien vs Predator Tabletop Game. To that end, as I've mentioned before, ALIEN: The Roleplaying Game has several scenarios based around stories with the 'King' Alien in it (Charon Base from Aliens: Rogue and Arceon from Vincent Ward's draft). I'm happy with it sticking with EU or more text/comic based lore, if it ever appears again at all. If nothing else, it's not (pardon the pun) an 'Alien' concept, in that I've seen threads discussing it before. And it's made a couple of appearances to date, either fully fleshed out or as a concept-I'd say it's inevitable before it comes back.

I just hope it's actually good and doesn't shit on the existing dynamic, which is admittedly hard; But I think with some tweaking and thought it could work.

The Old One

The Old One

I think it's ultimately a one and done.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 31, 2020, 03:40:20 AM
I think it's ultimately a one and done.

Meh, fair enough. I DID have a thought though-and it regards the Aliens from Alien: Isolation. Commonly called 'Drones', but unique in the sense they're f**k off big compared to normal Aliens/Xenomorphs, being Praetorian sized and smaller only than the Queen. To that end, just a thought I had, but maybe at that point the Alien's done growing-it's sort of reached an 'apex' for its caste/breed, and can't really become a Queen already (ie it's big, but no crest development meaning it's not a Praetorian or Young Queen/Princess).

Maybe it can be like, the 'Alpha Alien' as mentioned in the AVP novel with Grid? Who was considered larger, stronger, but not of a Royal Caste? Like, they're more disposable and basically just walking sperm banks in terms of reproductive capabilities-these huge, oversized Drones, who can maybe make a Royal Egg/Egg-Morph a bit, but then they die (much like real life Alates die after mating) but they can also be useful in other facilities, such as hunting and guarding (like certain species of Parasitic Wasp males guard the nest and some even go capture prey, albeit they lack a stinger so they cripple it instead) which keeps it from wholly being 'Ants in Space'

Basically, here's what I'm saying; Chestburster---->Drone--->Warrior--->Praetorian---->Queen for most Aliens exposed to the Jelly, who can reproduce and eggmorph more freely but are less stealthy and mobile, compared to Chestburster---->Drone--->Warrior--->Alate, which is like a bigger, stronger Big Chap and is more independent, but ultimately has a shorter lifespan and, if it exerts enough of its genetic material, it dies because of its size being hard to maintain when it more or less eviscerates itself to make a nest on its own.

This I think combines the species' reproductive cycle with that of multiple other animals, brings back some of the 'Ultimate Survivor' aspect of Vincent Ward's Alien, but doesn't make a 'King' that's better than the Queen, and is far more disposable.

(Also, yes, I know there was a Queen on Sevastopol-but likely not initially, and maybe she had been eggmorphed into existence or something similar. More suggesting just as a concept/rule of thumb when you see these humongous, oversized abberant Warriors who act differently than the normal more 'sexless' Drones and Warriors)

The Old One

The Old One

I always wondered if retaining the Carapace on a number of individuals showed a certain amount of higher intelligence than the rest.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 31, 2020, 04:16:31 AM
I always wondered if retaining the Carapace on a number of individuals showed a certain amount of higher intelligence than the rest.

Maybe; It seems to vary. Six was a Warrior with the ridged head, but she was very intelligent; by contrast, barring Grid, most of the smooth headed Aliens aren't very intelligent in AVP, as they run into gunfire. Warriors are fairly smart, but they're more self sacrificial compared to castes that are larger/rarer.

For example, in ants, Workers and Soldiers die in droves in wars or battles or what have you; By contrast, Queens and Princesses rarely fight, except in Slave Making Species because of their value. Drones also exhibit this, as barring competition in nuptial flights/lek mating, or female calling where they search out a reproductive female's pheromones, they do even LESS (there are a few exceptions, with Camponotus males in the Nearctic and Palearctic helping to share food, groom their siblings, and form a 'circle' with their more 'royal' brothers and sisters when they overwinter in the nest). Overall, despite varying degrees of self sustainment or defensive capabilities, Queens are mostly egg factories and Drones are just sperm sacks. But they're integral to the Hive's survival and/or at least also very rare, so they can't be gotten rid of too easily

Even still, with Aliens, it's different; EVERY organism, barring maybe Facehuggers (which are much like real life ant drones in the way they breed and die) can hunt, fight, and harvest, with the 'castes' as a whole being very fluid in duties much like real ants don't always have discrepancies between Soldiers and Workers (unlike Termites with more rigid and developed caste systems) with one major exception; Reproductive Castes. Except in species that are Gamergates, a female worker is ALWAYS sterile, and can never become a Queen or Princess. By contrast, we've heard of and seen aliens turning into Queens gradually; but at the same time, it's a transitional process and requires what could best be described as 'sequential hermaphroditism' and the adaptation of latent sexual traits within the species (namely the infamous crest, and later on a second set of arms, digitigrade heels, and the ovipositor and throne).

The 'females' reproduce parthenogenetically...most likely...and their 'male portions' either become nonexistant or serve only in the capacity of self fertilization, more like how Angler females are still 'female' but have parasitic males as gonads. By proxy, you have Drones/Warriors that can eggmorph, but it isn't parasitization like in female wasps as there's no 'embryo' involved (Chet nonwithstanding) being injected as a means of food; Instead, it's more like 'traumatic insemination', a male reproductive tactic where a host or organism is injected and is in of itself FERTILIZED, rather than injecting a fertilized embryo or egg. Admittedly, there is still a 'yolk' or something of the sort that helps develop the host into an Ovomorph rather than turn them into the Ovomorph, but it's still not the same as regurgitating the eggs or quite like a parasitoid wasp's female eggs, due to the nature of the pathogen, which is like injected alongside a sort of 'sperm' or gamete to fertilize the egg and help it grow.
-
Alternatively, and a bit more divisive I'm sure, would be traumatic insemination upon a Queen, or even a Praetorian, to help develop/grow an ovipositor and kickstart the first clutch of eggs, or even help develop a line of Royal/Queen Eggs for future use. It HAS been mentioned, albeit in the EU, of this kind of behavior, but it's obviously not very popular as it familiarizes the Aliens a bit too much (although with the revelation they've been made, namely from a parasitic wasp mixed with the Black Good and the more 'natural' Neomorph, then it at least makes sense there had been, somewhere along the way, a more naturalized method of reproduction combined with a less resource intensive but slower method of parthogenesis).

All in all, it's more of the dictuum and what's 'male' or 'female' by Alien standards; The Praetorians and Queens are 'female' much like the Anglerfish combined with a Eusocial Insect Queen, whereas the 'Alate' in this case is like an ergatomorphic male (in design) but of a similar size to the Praetorian, and if it replicates at all, it is through traumatic insemination to eggmorph which can be fatal; otherwise, it is useful as a hunter or guard (like in some species of Crabronid or Spheciid Wasp males, mostly Mud Daubers, who DO construct intricate nests and hives for their brood much like the Aliens do) but on a larger scale, with some independent thought (as a parallel to Drones of female calling species who must fend for themselves as they search out the source of a Queen's pheromones) to boot, which helps when the Aliens are a mix of different insects (mostly hymenopterans) rather than just one.

The Old One

The Old One

Far as I'm concerned, I go by H.R Giger's view, until something says otherwise. No genders, only one sex so to speak, and one goal. Beyond us, beyond anything of life we understand, thematically masculine and feminine. But otherwise, nothing shows signs of anything but a completely hermaphroditic species, making it perfect for all intents and purposes.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 26, 2020, 12:32:21 PM
Far as I'm concerned, I go by H.R Giger's view, until something says otherwise. No genders, only one sex so to speak, and one goal. Beyond us, beyond anything of life we understand, thematically masculine and feminine. But otherwise, nothing shows signs of anything but a completely hermaphroditic species, making it perfect for all intents and purposes.

I can live with that-I just see things a little differently, perhaps because sometimes his art depicts more 'masculine' and 'feminine' beasts in his art; Some are literal penis monsters, others having a more seductive angle to them. But then again the Xenomorph combines ALL these aspects so it makes sense it's basically 'both'.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes fortunately, not all of H.R Giger's art concerns the Alien itself, he's not so one note although he's mainly known for the biomechanics.

FenGiddel

I wouldn't be so sure the Alien is "masculine".

Immortan Jonesy

Big Chap is an androgen beast.

The Old One

The Old One

It is.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

I'd argue the Alien itself (Big Chap) is more androgynous, sure-More that some traits it displays and overt imagery (sexually aggressive sadism, the huge phallic head it has) make it more one than the other. Honestly, the idea I had was more how we have a 'Queen' who represents one side of the coin of sexuality and Gigeresque imagery-why not have a flipside, especially if the Aliens themselves are androgynous/fully hermaphroditic (ie both male and female, which I can honestly buy)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

I'm bringing this thread back to life just because I thought of something.

Workers make Drones/Sentries/What have you into Royal Castes, right? (Praetorians--->Queens). Could something like that work to make a 'King' or something else? Fusing a bunch of Aliens into one big entity, or causing a Praetorian to follow a different evolutionary path?

razeak

Putting the head mask on the actor adds a rather masculine ummmm.....aspect.

SM

QuoteWorkers make Drones/Sentries/What have you into Royal Castes, right?

Do they?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed