Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,258 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Night of the Creeps (1986)
Love this film. Its a perfect mix of genre's and Tom Atkins is a storm as always. Didnt realise how much James Gunn actually took for Slither lol

Huggs

Huggs

Ghosts of the Abyss

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Been to the cinema twice today, for two very different war films.

They Shall Not Grow Old

The moment this switches from vintage black and white to the newly colourised and sharpened footage is just amazing. But perhaps the most incredible thing was the fact all the veterans who provide the voice over generally had a positive opinion of the war. That I really didn't expect. A fascinating insight into the day-to-day lives of the men who fought. Definitely recommend giving it a look.

Overlord

I've always wanted to see a Nazi undead supersoldier film done with a big budget, and this didn't disappoint. What surprised me most was how well-done some of the actual war stuff was; for instance, the opening D-Day drop is incredibly intense, to the point where I found it even held up alongside the similar sequence in Band of Brothers. There are some more darkly comedic touches once we get to the secret Nazi lab, but to the end it does a really good job of balancing the more outlandish elements with the serious stuff. Great fun.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 10, 2018, 12:34:11 AM
Overlord

I've always wanted to see a Nazi undead supersoldier film done with a big budget, and this didn't disappoint. What surprised me most was how well-done some of the actual war stuff was; for instance, the opening D-Day drop is incredibly intense, to the point where I found it even held up alongside the similar sequence in Band of Brothers. There are some more darkly comedic touches once we get to the secret Nazi lab, but to the end it does a really good job of balancing the more outlandish elements with the serious stuff. Great fun.

I know the tone is probably wildly different, but how does it hold up to 10 Cloverfield Lane (the best of these Bad Robot mystery box films IMO)?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

the opening D-Day drop is incredibly intense, to the point where I found it even held up alongside the similar sequence in Band of Brothers.

Wow, that's high praise, especially coming from you. I'll see it Sunday if I can. I'm traveling a bit further than usual tomorrow to see Suspiria.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 10, 2018, 01:53:27 AM
the opening D-Day drop is incredibly intense, to the point where I found it even held up alongside the similar sequence in Band of Brothers.

Wow, that's high praise, especially coming from you. I'll see it Sunday if I can. I'm traveling a bit further than usual tomorrow to see Suspiria.

May already mentioned it but Overlord may be a rip-off of an unmade Frankenstein's Army reboot.
Check it out https://www.schokkendnieuws.nl/interviews/5200-coincidence

Fun fact (well not so fun): Years ago a trailer was made for Worst Case Scenario. The movie ended up in development hell because the studio didn't think there was an audience for nazi zombie stuff. Later on with a new similar project, the studio said there were already too similar movies.
Then Overlord got made.
The movie business is as dumb as it's weird.

Huggs

Huggs

Halloween is Grinch Night - Bluray

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) - Bluray

Wolf Creek: Uncut - DVD

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Thing (1982)
Stone Cold Classic

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 10, 2018, 01:44:05 AMI know the tone is probably wildly different, but how does it hold up to 10 Cloverfield Lane (the best of these Bad Robot mystery box films IMO)?

Lane is a better film, but I found this to be far more fun. Make no mistake, Overlord is entirely predictable (the jump scares were all obviously signposted, and I called every single plot twist in advance, one before I'd even entered the cinema :laugh:) but I walked out with a much bigger grin on my face than I had after watching 10CL.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 10, 2018, 01:53:27 AMWow, that's high praise, especially coming from you.

Don't get me wrong, as a complete product BoB is far superior. But in terms of simply delivering a combat sequence that gives you some idea of how awe-inspiring, chaotic and terrifying it must have been to be in the middle of something like that, the paradrop scene in Overlord is no less exhilarating. It probably helped that it was the loudest sequence I can ever recall seeing in a cinema - it was almost unbearable at times. At first I thought they'd cranked the volume up a tad too high, but when the rest of the film was more subdued I realised it was a conscious decision to have it that loud, because that's probably what it was really like.

It's a bit unfortunate that nothing else in the film quite lives up to the opening ten minutes. There's still plenty to enjoy, but they obviously put a lot of effort into the D-Day sequence and it stands out as the highlight.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Just attended a double feature of Best F(r)iends Volume 1 & 2.  I actually really enjoyed them, especially the second one.

Greg Sestero was in attendance and we got to have drinks with him afterward because a friend was running the screening.  He's a nice dude who's more than happy to tell weird stories about Tommy Wiseau.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Suspiria (2018)

Excellent stuff. Totally worth traveling a bit to see on a big screen. It's genuinely unsettling throughout, with some truly horrific imagery on display.

Overlord

Entertaining as hell war/horror film. It maybe could have done with a bit more of the latter, but still well done as it is.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Bohemian Rhapsody
Wow, this was a great film. Rami Malek had Freddie down. It was eerie. Sure there were historical inaccuracies but when you consider what they had to condense to fit the 2 hour runtime it didnt matter.

Overlord
A fantastic Horror/War movie. I do agree with the above that a bit more Horror would have been great, but otherwise this had that balance down and Wyatt Russell really came across as his dad in the Third Act.

Jeepers Creepers 3
Sure that a great film, but did well for the budget it had. It did have some good sequences mind. Someone just needs to take the franchise from him now

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 12, 2018, 12:37:03 PMWyatt Russell really came across as his dad in the Third Act.

I didn't realise he was related! Now that you've said it, I totally see it.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 12, 2018, 12:38:30 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 12, 2018, 12:37:03 PMWyatt Russell really came across as his dad in the Third Act.

I didn't realise he was related! Now that you've said it, I totally see it.

Yeah its another one of those i found out who his parents were a few days before i saw the film lol

MudButt

MudButt

Wyatt Russell and John David Washington (star of Spike Lee's BlacKKKlansmen and on HBO's Ballers with The Rock) were two who shocked me when I found out who their parents were.

John David Washington is Denzel's son.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed