VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"?

Started by Voodoo Magic, Feb 12, 2019, 05:13:36 PM

Author
VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"? (Read 22,007 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 23, 2019, 04:19:00 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
The City Hunter never struck me as a band blood.

As for his being killed by Greyback in the novel - I read that as the chief giving him an honourable death when he was mortally wounded and shamed by defeat.

Yep. That makes sense.

I personally never lean on novelizations for clarifications because it's often an author extrapolating and expanding upon what is not found in the script. I find it even worse when some details in the book don't even match up to the movie at all! But I digress. From what I could tell, even though this scene is left ambiguous in the earlier drafts I've read, the honorable death explanation does indeed make a great, great deal of sense.   :)

As for his being killed by Greyback in the novel - I read that as the chief giving him an honourable death when he was mortally wounded and shamed by defeat.

That strikes me as a Samurai-esque culture type thing. How like when Samurai are defeated in battle, they commit ritual suicide. If unable, they are assisted.

I can't believe the Samurai ritual suicide was sometimes self-disembowelment!  I mean, what a horrible way to go!  :-[

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 24, 2019, 01:52:55 AM

Yep. That makes sense.

I personally never lean on novelizations for clarifications because it's often an author extrapolating and expanding upon what is not found in the script. I find it even worse when some details in the book don't even match up to the movie at all! But I digress. From what I could tell, even though this scene is left ambiguous in the earlier drafts I've read, the honorable death explanation does indeed make a great, great deal of sense.   :)

That strikes me as a Samurai-esque culture type thing. How like when Samurai are defeated in battle, they commit ritual suicide. If unable, they are assisted.

I can't believe the Samurai ritual suicide was sometimes self-disembowelment!  I mean, what a horrible way to go!  :-[

Think of the self discipline that takes. They are admirable in the sense they have strong sense of honor and principles.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 24, 2019, 02:26:54 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 24, 2019, 01:52:55 AM

Yep. That makes sense.

Think of the self discipline that takes. They are admirable in the sense they have strong sense of honor and principles.

Truly!

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Most of these namby pamby latte drinking hipsters would be too troubled with a hangnail, let alone a tango blade to the abdomen.

https://youtu.be/IctBSH5a9Sw

3 times because Shane Black references.

;D

Samhain13

Slack-jawed is a good way to call the predators with broken mandibles.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 24, 2019, 03:31:20 AM

Stealing that.  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 24, 2019, 03:31:20 AM

HuDaFuK

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 24, 2019, 02:26:54 AMThink of the self discipline that takes. They are admirable in the sense they have strong sense of honor and principles.

I've no idea if it still applies today, but historically the Japanese had a very strange (by Western standards) view on suicide. Suicide in and of itself was considered a thing of honour, and the more awful it was, the more honourable it was deemed to be.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

the films don't strictly follow the whole EU conceit (including the honour thing), so applying that is largely useless, but if you do, remember that CH came back to the tribe ship & they seemed to be pretty respectful of it when carrying it away

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2019, 11:50:06 AM
the films don't strictly follow the whole EU conceit (including the honour thing), so applying that is largely useless, but if you do, remember that CH came back to the tribe ship & they seemed to be pretty respectful of it when carrying it away

That's fair.

To me, they needed four Predators to honorably carry the City Hunter out. Just using two, one Predator was forced to grab the CH by the crook of its knee, while the other leg seemed to have the sound effect of dragging on the ship floor. But perhaps, playing devil's advocate, maybe I'm just looking at it too much with human eyes.

Of course, they could have just poured that blue organic disolving liquid on the City Hunter, the stuff the Wolf used in AvPR!  ;D

Xenomrph

The first 'Batman vs Predator' ends in the same way, with the defeated Predator getting executed by his clan-mates.

Now I kind of wonder if the comic writers were intentionally referencing the unused 'Predator 2' ending, or if they came up with it independently.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 24, 2019, 01:48:36 PM

The first 'Batman vs Predator' ends in the same way, with the defeated Predator getting executed by his clan-mates.

Now I kind of wonder if the comic writers were intentionally referencing the unused 'Predator 2' ending, or if they came up with it independently.

I still haven't read that comic. It's on my list though. Any good?

426Buddy

426Buddy

The first Batman vs Predator series is a classic. It really is a fantastic predator comic.

The original cover art was magnificent.

Voodoo Magic

It was a long time ago but I remember liking it too. However, how much of a Batman fan you are, might sway your opinion.

426Buddy

Actually I always felt the first series works equally well as both a Predator and Batman story. Of course fans of both may enjoy it even more. But even if you are just a predator fan the series is very faithful to the predator franchise and it definitley doesnt skimp on the gore.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed