Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 77,934 times)

SM

SM

QuoteKey word "too often," not "always".

Some more key words.

QuoteFor once I would like the story to focus on something else other than the "Evil W-Y".

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Jan 26, 2019, 04:10:16 AM
QuoteKey word "too often," not "always".

Some more key words.

QuoteFor once I would like the story to focus on something else other than the "Evil W-Y".

Don't get smartass with me, I am really, really not in the mood today. You know what I meant so lets leave it at that.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 26, 2019, 03:40:09 AM
It might help if we ever saw some powerful executives in the mining and terraforming divisions of Weyland-Yutani express some sort of resentment or disdain for their corporate siblings in the weapons division.  That could serve to offset the perception that the entire company is rotten to the core.

Perhaps but I don't think the entire bio-weapons division should be corrupt either. The three films work in my opinion because it is fairly realistic and its ambiguous,  In the comics, games and what not. The company and other different companies as well just became cartoon villians, they also spend a lot of money on ventures that cost them dearly and they never learn. I would have thought smart businesses would know when to cut their losses and call it a day.

In fairness, in the comics, it usually other companies that are shown a lot I believe. But still, in the expanded universe media, W-Y has been shown to be comic book villians. AVP2010, A:CM for example I guess its not just W-Y I am tired of, but any company or organizations that goes down that route. I don't know about anyone else but I just feel It has just been done to death.
Just look at Doctor Groves, he would be more suited in austin powers or something, judging by his world domination audio log.

Alien Isolation was ambigious which I liked, Taylor and Samuals turned out to be fairly decent, though once again the androids took the orders to the extreme and started outright killing people, but that only happened after they determined humans to be a threat to the specimens. Other than that, it seems W-Y was fairly hands off, they bought it and just left orders to an A:I.

Humourously, W-Y is on the receiving end of this in Cold Forge by their old rival.

AVP is not the best film but I like how Weyland turns out to be ok guy, though there are some red herrings.

SM

SM

QuoteDon't get smartass with me, I am really, really not in the mood today. You know what I meant so lets leave it at that.

So avoid dumb hyperbole.

I'm not responsible for your moods.

The Cruentus

No, but you are responsible for your actions.

Corporal Hicks

That works both ways gents. Let's take a step back and calm down.

Local Trouble

Could this series take place prior to the formation of the ECA?  It implies that the colonization ships are entirely unregulated deathtraps that only desperate people would ever travel on.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 26, 2019, 11:06:46 AM
AVP 2010:
Just look at Doctor Groves, he would be more suited in something like "Austin Powers" judging by his world-domination audio log.

Alien Isolation, ambiguous.

The Cold Forge, corporate espionage.

AVP 2010's guilty of "Weyland Corp is evil!" In more ways that one. Using W-Y employees with no second thought for testing, Doctor Groves' supervillain personality and Bishop Weyland apparently being the head of the company since the beginning; body hopping and changing his first name but not his face? Weyland-Yutani outright owning the Colonial Marine core. Thankfully all of that belongs to the AVP/AVPR/The Predator timeline.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Well if we are mentioning games... AVP2 had a better approach to the company than the ones after it, they are of course interested mainly in results, but aren't killing their own employees for the lols, they need those people alive to achieve their goals, who are informed of what they will be encountering on their job, they use animals as hosts for aliens. They do keep a eye on the actions on those in charge of their facility, who are the ones that are actually doing bad things. Since due to where the facilities are located and to the amount of power given to the ones in charge, they can get a way with doing things that are against the company's interests and putting the lives of others in danger. Their corruption is the main source of the problems and we don't know how much WY is aware of.

But on Resistance, the main problem for me is when its set, they could have put such a story after 2179 and come up with a fine explanation where WY got the aliens, but they still want to milk the Ripley name so we are stuck on this. Knowing that WY already has some aliens somewhere makes the events on ALIENS and ALIEN 3 not much of a big deal.

The Old One

The Old One

Yep, and the question has yet to be answered.
Why not use animals?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Even from WY's point of view that would be better, they would be able to study the aliens's ability to take traits from their hosts as part of their growth through several examples, being to able evaluate both the physical and possible mental differences between each type of host they come from. A kind of research they did on AVP2. They could even use non-Earth animals.  Considering WY have more control on colonies than on Earth, simply using other planets' indigenous life forms would probably be much cheaper and easier than kidnapping a shitload of humans from Earth. Specially if the base is build on a planet with animals already on it, space expeditions cost money, having a ship use so much expensive fuel to bring hosts when there are alternatives...

They are more interested on being evil than being efficient, its nothing new really, even if it wasn't WY... they could have just used animals on Resurrection, there wouldn't be the risk of hiring pirates to do the dirty work. The writers think that is needed otherwise WY is not villain enough and we woudn't root for the main characters otherwise, and they don't mind if it ends up not being so rational.

Local Trouble

Dark Horse figured out a way to do this cleaner decades ago.

The Old One

The Old One

I just hope there's an explanation as to why humans are necessary in the narrative. When primates were used in The Cold Forge instead.

SM

SM

Maybe 'they' learn lessons from decades earlier, or the two are entirely unrelated.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 27, 2019, 12:03:18 AM
Dark Horse figured out a way to do this cleaner decades ago.

And they exposed hundreds on a space station in Berserker.

And Spears used colonists, and they used lepers in Purge, and marines in Rogue, etc.

Local Trouble

Are you implying that the comics are inconsistent?

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on Jan 27, 2019, 12:48:22 AM
Maybe 'they' learn lessons from decades earlier, or the two are entirely unrelated.

What? It's still stupid regardless, and not in terms of people or organisations in universe learning from their actions- way.

But in a- it's so unbelievably stupid and short sighted- way, not to use animal testing first before moving on to human trial, if that's necessary- that it's genuinely hard to believe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed