Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 320,578 times)

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 05, 2022, 12:02:34 AM
Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 03, 2022, 08:26:07 PMYeah, that makes sense.  They knew about the predator and that was most likely first contact.
I wish that was the case, but it was so vague and short of a scene to know, that it seems all like guess work here. That's a question I wish we can ask to one of the producers or Dan himself.

Pretty sure they've asked Dan in the recent AvPG interview that just went up.

But yeah; it was the same kind of red explosion we see Naru walking away from after her and Taabe escape from capture. That red light we see when Naru is fighting the cougar is the same, and how we are able to figure out that the trappers have experienced time with Feral before. The trappers had likely lost some men to him during Naru's time tracking Feral.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Oct 08, 2022, 06:23:29 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 05, 2022, 12:02:34 AM
Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 03, 2022, 08:26:07 PMYeah, that makes sense.  They knew about the predator and that was most likely first contact.
I wish that was the case, but it was so vague and short of a scene to know, that it seems all like guess work here. That's a question I wish we can ask to one of the producers or Dan himself.

Pretty sure they've asked Dan in the recent AvPG interview that just went up.

But yeah; it was the same kind of red explosion we see Naru walking away from after her and Taabe escape from capture. That red light we see when Naru is fighting the cougar is the same, and how we are able to figure out that the trappers have experienced time with Feral before. The trappers had likely lost some men to him during Naru's time tracking Feral.
As of this point of the post, I'm still listening in on the interview (which is super great btw) and the reason why I had a hard time believing it is due to the idea of Feral running away from human beings doesn't make sense to me. Plus, doesn't it eliminate the idea of Feral going up the food chain to find out the most dangerous prey to hunt, since humans are sitting up at the top and already did hunt humans that much early on?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yes it does, but that's a writing problem mostly.

ralfy

ralfy

Awful movie, with a Mary Sue character, lack of characterization for protagonists in general (unlike in the first, where one can sympathize with not only Dutch but with the rest of his crew), and a stupid predator.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: ralfy on Oct 27, 2022, 02:45:48 AMAwful movie, with a Mary Sue character, lack of characterization for protagonists in general (unlike in the first, where one can sympathize with not only Dutch but with the rest of his crew), and a stupid predator.
is this bait?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Oct 27, 2022, 03:21:07 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Oct 27, 2022, 02:45:48 AMAwful movie, with a Mary Sue character, lack of characterization for protagonists in general (unlike in the first, where one can sympathize with not only Dutch but with the rest of his crew), and a stupid predator.
is this bait?
Probably not, unfortunately. Seen a lot of talk like this at Facebook.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I've seen the facebook comments and they are often made by old people or very insecure men, 80% of which haven't watched the movie

Incase this is serious (I hope it isn't)

A Mary Sue is a perfect character who is perfect at everything and that everyone loves, Naru is disliked by the hunters in her Tribe, mocked and looked down upon by her family and her skills are flawed and she constantly f**ks up through the movie, so she can't be a Mary Sue.

Naru has way more characterization in this than Dutch had in the first movie (Dutch was the least developed character in that movie when you take in count how much screen time he had). Naru at the start is shown as cocky, confident and unskilled in the areas she wants to be skilled at the most, constantly failing to properly do the things she sets out to do, halfway through she starts adapting and improving, but still failing due to her own cockiness or lack or preparation, for instance, she constantly does things without thinking of the what will happen next, like attacking the bear or engaging in a fight with her own tribesmates. It's only AFTER she loses something dear to her that she properly plans out her actions and truly succeeds.

Feral isn't stupid, specially when compared to JH, CH, Fugitive and Wolf. He never does something downright stupid, but instead reckless because he is sure he will get away with it, he rushes at the Wolf and Bear because he knows he can kill them, he avoid using his own gear because he wants to have fun fighting them, the only times he gets surprised for rushing in is when the Trappers ambush him, and even then he quickly takes control of the situation and kills all of them.

SiL

SiL

How does Feral know he can kill the bear, exactly?

He's never met one. It's larger than he is. He's only seen it running at someone and shrug off a hit from an arrow.

He didn't "know" shit, but was willing to take the risk. The only reason people don't think it was a dumb idea is he survived; if he'd died, everyone would say "No shit, you moron."

That all said, Ralfy will not argue the film that exists in the world, he will argue the film that exists in his head, and it's not worth your time.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Likely cuz he has seen AND killed bigger at his planet? We have been way bigger in trophy walls belonging to Young Bloods (CH himself for example.), and the skull on his mask seems to be from a creature around the same size.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2022, 04:43:56 AMHow does Feral know he can kill the bear, exactly?

He's never met one. It's larger than he is. He's only seen it running at someone and shrug off a hit from an arrow.

He didn't "know" shit, but was willing to take the risk. The only reason people don't think it was a dumb idea is he survived; if he'd died, everyone would say "No shit, you moron."

That all said, Ralfy will not argue the film that exists in the world, he will argue the film that exists in his head, and it's not worth your time.

Feral had some cockiness and he was overly self confident, sure (we see overconfidence with the other preds too). But the bear being bigger doesn't matter so much imo
Feral was the more skilled hunter and he knew it. Humans behave the same way; especially in human-human conflicts where a smaller but more skilled fighter takes out a larger foe they had no familiarity with. Plus to be fair, feral was strong enough to lift the dead bear over his head, so he was definitely strong enough to tussle with a bear.

SiL

SiL

Feral didn't hunt the bear, though. He ran in and started punching it.

If it had played out like the trailer no argument, but it didn't.

And, again - that he turned out to be stronger than the bear is luck on his part. He didn't know that before he started fighting it.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2022, 05:12:00 AMFeral didn't hunt the bear, though. He ran in and started punching it.

If it had played out like the trailer no argument, but it didn't.

And, again - that he turned out to be stronger than the bear is luck on his part. He didn't know that before he started fighting it.
No, he wasn't hunting the bear, he was hunting naru. He went in punching the bear because he knew he'd win as the more skilled hunter between them, and he was having fun with it. Challenging himself.

The movie shows feral perk up when he hears her dog bark. Then it shows feral tracking her (i.e., inspecting the same discarded cigar). He was hunting naru. He just happened to catch up to her when she was being attacked by the bear... or maybe he watched her getting attacked to see what she'd do then intervened. Doesn't really matter. He knew he'd win and went for it. I don't see the problem there.

SiL

SiL

He wasn't hunting Naru. The whole point of the movie is Feral doesn't consider her a threat until it's too late.

He's never met a bear before. How did he know he'd beat it, he didn't know what it was capable of. Why didn't he shoot it from a distance like a Hunter, instead of trying to throw hands?

Like I said, easy to say he wasn't dumb when he won, but if he'd lost everyone would think it was stupid for a Predator who's on his first hunt on earth to try to grapple with a bear.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Friendly reminder to keep things light gents.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2022, 06:39:01 AMHe wasn't hunting Naru. The whole point of the movie is Feral doesn't consider her a threat until it's too late.

He's never met a bear before. How did he know he'd beat it, he didn't know what it was capable of. Why didn't he shoot it from a distance like a Hunter, instead of trying to throw hands?

Like I said, easy to say he wasn't dumb when he won, but if he'd lost everyone would think it was stupid for a Predator who's on his first hunt on earth to try to grapple with a bear.
He probably didn't shoot it from a distance for the same reason city hunter thought it was tactical/smart to smash through the roof of a train and take on dozens of passengers he'd never encountered before who were armed with guns and knives, then proceed to slaughter them by hand and blade. If city hunter had lost in that moment, everyone would have thought that was stupid too, so I'm still not seeing the point there. The scene served a purpose, narratively, and it accomplished exactly what it was supposed to accomplish: it introduced naru to the creature and alerted the audience to just how big and powerful feral really was. But as for his behavior? I don't see how this was any different behaviorally from any past predators deciding which of their prey to take on with CQC like Hawkins, Dillon, Dutch, at least some of the Colombians/Jamaicans, Peter Keyes's team (when he dropped in with his spear initially), hans, etc.

And yes he was hunting naru. Hence the scenes I mentioned before. Otherwise why show us that he was following her same path? Why show us feral taking interest in her dog barking? Now... *after* catching up with naru, and seeing her nearly die by the bear, ya maybe he did decide "nah she's not worthy prey." But initially, he only knew she was human and he did have previous encounters with humans so he tracked her down. If nothing else just following her seemed to bring him to more interesting prey (including the bear), so I could even see why he'd continue to track her even if he had decided she wasn't worthy prey initially. But nonetheless, he absolutely started following her immediately after cleaning that wolf skull, and he continued following her right up until their final show down...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed