Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 773,822 times)

SM

SM

Yeah.  It would've been cool to look at some of this film stuff which Newt's Tale and River of Pain curiously avoided - but ultimately it doesn't need to be a story that's told; we just need to know it's possible.

Vermillion

Vermillion

The prequels screwed the huggers up. 

Oh well.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 19, 2019, 11:01:41 PMThe prequels screwed the huggers up.

Worse than AvP did?

The Old One

The Old One

#Whinge.

New implantation understanding > old assumption.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 19, 2019, 11:46:22 PM
Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 19, 2019, 11:01:41 PMThe prequels screwed the huggers up.

Worse than AvP did?
Yes.

At least in AvP the implanted were actually facehugged, knocked out for awhile and couldn't work out what had happened. As opposed to Lope being implanted in a picosecond from a hugger with a tenuous grasp at best.

SM

SM

It was clamped onto his head - that's not tenuous.

QuoteAt least in AvP the implanted were actually facehugged, knocked out for awhile and couldn't work out what had happened.

Verheiden and one of the science dudes weren't knocked out.  And there's no indication the whole gestation was anywhere near as fast in Covenant.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2019, 05:36:10 AM

QuoteAt least in AvP the implanted were actually facehugged, knocked out for awhile and couldn't work out what had happened.

Verheiden and one of the science dudes weren't knocked out.  And there's no indication the whole gestation was anywhere near as fast in Covenant.

Will have to re-watch, just going from my recollection while at work. I was thinking more of Rousseau than Verheiden.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Aren't Rousseau and co. impregnated within the time it takes the pyramid to shift? So less than 10 minutes, including the few minutes they spent staring at the eggs to build up the tension before they're attacked.

SM

SM

Yeah there's about a minute from the doors closing in the sacrificial chamber till they get hugged.  Rousseau bursts about 90 seconds or so from the walls moving again, so 7.5 minutes from hugging to bursting.  Or thereabouts.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe we can just reconcile them all by lumping them into Ripley's anthology of nightmares alongside Alien 3.  Her unconscious mind sure is confusing.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Jul 19, 2019, 10:34:22 PM
QuoteIt does cause some issues however, like that Marachuk should have then already been implanted with a chestburster as well as the other poor sod who was also killed during the removal surgery, it should have been too late.

It was too late.

QuoteAlso then those two huggers should not have been alive to attack Ripley and Newt.

There's no indication they successfully implanted someone.

With other huggings you have to compare like for like situations.  There's an argument that the huggers were long dormant on LV-426 so implantation took longer; which has merit.

The simpler explanation is the hugger stays on for as long as possible to protect the embryo.  Lopes one couldn't.

But it wasn't too late, because the huggers didn't implant them. otherwise the huggers would not be alive to attack Ripley and Newt.

And that is precisely my point, given what we now know about Lope and Cold Forge. Those two colonists should have been implanted almost immediately. This is why retconning doesn't always work well.

I thought about that too, but there has been other sources that has huggers takes awhile to implant their hosts.

Yes, I am aware of that too, the WYR makes it clear that while implantation probably happens in the first few hours, the hugger wil remain attach for possibly much longer to make sure the "embryo" is secure.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 19, 2019, 10:42:43 PM
It's also entirely possible that the colonists weren't completely inept and were able to capture two facehuggers alive before they could attach themselves to anyone.  We just don't know.

That is a sound theory but Bishop states that they were taken off before embryo implantation.

Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2019, 05:36:10 AM

Verheiden was still conscious but no one else was as far as I remember,  I am guessing you are talking about the guy who was twitching on the floor after Rousseau woke up.

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 20, 2019, 08:14:11 AM
Will have to re-watch, just going from my recollection while at work. I was thinking more of Rousseau than Verheiden.

No, she was defintely knocked out as one scene is literally about her waking up, looking at her facehugged teammates and then literally bursting only seconds after waking up.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 20, 2019, 09:34:59 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 19, 2019, 10:42:43 PM
It's also entirely possible that the colonists weren't completely inept and were able to capture two facehuggers alive before they could attach themselves to anyone.  We just don't know.

That is a sound theory but Bishop states that they were taken off before embryo implantation.

He only said two were alive and the rest were dead, then read the log about Marachuk.  He didn't say anything about the status of the particular facehugger they removed from him though.  For all we know, it was one of the dead ones.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

But then River of Pain drives it home as one character asks where they got the live facehuggers from.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

SM said it was possible though.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

And while he is very knowledgable, it is speculation really (unless he knows something we don't about them) and sure maybe it is possible, but the implication and what we are meant to believe is that those two live facehuggers came from removing them before they could implant their hosts. At least that is the impression I got from that movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed