Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 686,154 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: samoht on Jul 08, 2010, 03:27:44 AM
Exactly. So, why doesn't everyone start criticizing that?

Because it wasn't done on-screen. And it wasn't done for shock-value.

SM

SM

Yeah it wasn't cheap and nasty.

QuoteOh I know why, coz AVP:R is easy to pick on.

Yep.  Shitty films often are.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The problem isn't with a child or preggy dying. It's about how it's done on-screen. I had no problem with either but if the Brothers wanted a better effect on the audience, they should have put more thought into it.

samoht

samoht

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 08, 2010, 03:30:58 AM
Quote from: samoht on Jul 08, 2010, 03:27:44 AM
Exactly. So, why doesn't everyone start criticizing that?

Because it wasn't done on-screen. And it wasn't done for shock-value.

IMO the shock value was good.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Simply adding something for the sake of adding something is never a good thing. Especially in a terrible movie.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Yes I think shock value has it's place, but not in a movie that has already been laughably marauding around the screen in it's B-Movie underwear for an hour.   :'(  It's like putting some emotional rape scene in a stupid comedy movie and expecting the audience to suddenly be all dramatic.  Fail.  It's just sick.. needs to be conveyed in the proper emotional context. 

XenoVC

XenoVC

Basher917

Basher917

well guys it seems like the avp series can't get any worse than it already is

in 2012:

A Micheal Bay film
                                                   Alien vs. Predator
                                              revange of wolf octopus
                                                       dierected by:
                                                       Micheal bay

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 08, 2010, 03:57:46 AM
The problem isn't with a child or preggy dying. It's about how it's done on-screen. I had no problem with either but if the Brothers wanted a better effect on the audience, they should have put more thought into it.

There is also the context in which she is "impregnated" by the alien; which just makes this already poorly executed scene even worse.

They played it way over the top though. It would have been much better, IMO, if they just showed a pregnant woman who had already been killed via bursting, and show a nursery rooms sans babies and covered in blood. If you really want to show the bursting, just do it quick. Lingering on it just makes it less shocking by the second.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

How was the context no good? She was in a vulnerable position, and the Predalien saw an opportunity to breed more hosts. Unless you're commenting on the impregnation method on the whole.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I agree with Eidotemit here, if they would have maybe just flashed at the birth real quick like, same with the women screaming and etc (I'm talking flashes here)... I think it would have played out much better.  Would have been scary, disturbing, and retained a sense of mystery without going "here, look at this!"

To me the movie didn't hold much dramatic value, and it wanted you to care about the characters only as much as you do in, say, slasher films.  So I got into 'blood and guts' mode only to see something that honestly personally offends me while also being so strangely outside of Alien canon that I'm confused as well as angry, not just more movie violence, and it's not going to work on the emotional appeal level.

The first thing I thought of was not how savage or creepy the aliens were, but how large of Jackasses the brothers were.  That's not what they were going for, I think. 

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 08, 2010, 04:08:06 PM
To me the movie didn't hold much dramatic value, and it wanted you to care about the characters only as much as you do in, say, slasher films.

That's another terrible thing in this film. The Alien and Predator movies have always been about likable, realistic, memorable characters that you care about. This movie had none of that. Granted, neither did AvP.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 09, 2010, 03:06:10 AM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 08, 2010, 04:08:06 PM
To me the movie didn't hold much dramatic value, and it wanted you to care about the characters only as much as you do in, say, slasher films.

That's another terrible thing in this film. The Alien and Predator movies have always been about likable, realistic, memorable characters that you care about. This movie had none of that. Granted, neither did AvP.
You had to expect this from AvP-R though, they never tried to hide it.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 08, 2010, 02:29:40 PM
How was the context no good? She was in a vulnerable position, and the Predalien saw an opportunity to breed more hosts. Unless you're commenting on the impregnation method on the whole.

Possibly the way the scene was done methinks.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Basher917 on Jul 08, 2010, 12:35:23 PM
well guys it seems like the avp series can't get any worse than it already is

in 2012:

A Micheal Bay film
                                                   Alien vs. Predator
                                              revange of wolf octopus
                                                       dierected by:
                                                       Micheal bay

HE WILL CONQUER US AAAALLLLL

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed