Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 686,152 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

1. What's the difference? If he can swat the Aliens like insects, then they might as well be insects because they aren't fighting back.

2. If I choke you and cut off the oxygen to your head, you will do everything within your power to break the hold. That means kicking me, biting me, punching me, whatever. The Aliens did none of that.

3. I'll admit that AvP had more of an Alien bias, but Anderson did at least give the Predators some credit. The Brothers gave the Aliens none.

4. Indeed.

5. Lift two Predators? Are you referring to Grid knocking off Gill?

6. The Aliens may be massacred on mass for the sake of killing the 'bad guy', but that doesn't mean that if they go toe-to-toe with a Predator they should always lose. Even if there's only one Predator, he should sustain some injuries. Like in Predator, you know Dutch will survive because he's the hero, but he almost beaten to a pulp before finally killing the Predator.

dachande89

dachande89

The only thing I can say about the wolf holding two aliens by their throats in each hand is that it was trying to make it like the picture of Gilgamesh holding a lion in each hand by their throats. But thats no excuse for the Aliens not using their tails or claws to fight back.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 13, 2009, 03:30:10 AM
1. What's the difference? If he can swat the Aliens like insects, then they might as well be insects because they aren't fighting back.
'Like' insects, not 'are', exactly. Well, they do go for broke against the US Military and win. So, I surmise that even the Aliens are reluctant to mix it up with Predators - who knows? Maybe they smell the same genetic stuff in Wolf as in the Predalien and are confused?
Aliens have no issues or cowardice when it comes to humans.
Not being rude, but use some imagination. Sure, I acknowledge it was probably due to shortcomings by director or writer, even bias, but the fact that they attack humans without issue and then act withdrawan when fighting a predator gives me ideas like those above, I'm into creative writing and plot-hole theory, so I can't help it.  ;D

2. If I choke you and cut off the oxygen to your head, you will do everything within your power to break the hold. That means kicking me, biting me, punching me, whatever. The Aliens did none of that.
And I can put you to sleep or render your muscles relaxed when I use pressure points learned in the martial arts.

3. I'll admit that AvP had more of an Alien bias, but Anderson did at least give the Predators some credit. The Brothers gave the Aliens none.
They did against the human characters and the Predalien did give Wolf a good wallop.

4. Indeed.
Yep.

5. Lift two Predators? Are you referring to Grid knocking off Gill?
Grid knocking off Gill was lifting one Predator, in a stationary position. Not likely an alien could, or should, pick up two Predators in each hand - save for the Predalien perhaps.

6. The Aliens may be massacred on mass for the sake of killing the 'bad guy', but that doesn't mean that if they go toe-to-toe with a Predator they should always lose. Even if there's only one Predator, he should sustain some injuries. Like in Predator, you know Dutch will survive because he's the hero, but he almost beaten to a pulp before finally killing the Predator.
I do admit Wolf needed a few more scrapes than just being knocked from a walkway in the plant. I'm wit you there.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

1. Imagination can only go so far until things just become flat-out retarded and contradict what we've seen in previous movies.

2. Wolf used martial arts?

3. The humans are weak, period. And the Predalien had more Predator in it than anyone could ever have imagined, so there's your explanation.

5. Still not sure what point you're trying to make here, but I do agree. An Alien should not be able to lift up two Predators at once.

SiL

SiL

QuoteAnd I can put you to sleep or render your muscles relaxed when I use pressure points learned in the martial arts.
That's nice and all, but the Aliens still had fully functioning tails that they never bothered using.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

They could've spat acid too. Far as I know, saliva is not cut off when applying force to a pressure point.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 13, 2009, 05:04:55 AM
They could've spat acid too. Far as I know, saliva is not cut off when applying force to a pressure point.

That's reaching a bit, but you used imagination!! :D
1. Depends on the individual and how much they want to invest.  ;)
2. Why not? He uses a whip. Not the first parallel to humans.   ???
3. Can't argue there, humans were the 'fodder' in this film.  8)
5. Thats the point. I was saying that that scene in particular would not work reversed. So, you hit the nail on the head.  :)

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: dachande89 on May 13, 2009, 03:33:33 AM
The only thing I can say about the wolf holding two aliens by their throats in each hand is that it was trying to make it like the picture of Gilgamesh holding a lion in each hand by their throats. But thats no excuse for the Aliens not using their tails or claws to fight back.

Rule of cool.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 13, 2009, 06:26:02 AM
2. Why not? He uses a whip. Not the first parallel to humans.   ???

Your point? Knowing how to use a weapon doesn't make you a martial arts master. Martial arts is hand-to-hand combat, not using a weapon. Or at least something like a whip. If it is, Indy Jones is the freaking Chuck Norris of whips.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 14, 2009, 01:27:26 AM
Your point? Knowing how to use a weapon doesn't make you a martial arts master. Martial arts is hand-to-hand combat, not using a weapon. Or at least something like a whip. If it is, Indy Jones is the freaking Chuck Norris of whips.

No. No. No. For heaven's sake  ??? : The Predators could have their own hand to hand martial arts, just as humans do. The whip was an example of similarities already apparent between Predators and humans.
They have whips, so why wouldn't there be other parallels to humans, like martial arts?  :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's possible, but we haven't seen anything that suggests it. So I'm gonna go on a limb here and say they don't.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 14, 2009, 02:00:22 AM
It's possible, but we haven't seen anything that suggests it. So I'm gonna go on a limb here and say they don't.

If its at least possible, its credible as an explanation.
In my mind, its completely plausible that the Predators have developed a martial art and use it to exploit pressure points the same way humans do.
Its not an aspect the director's even contemplated, not at all, and I am drawing my own interpretations and conclusions, but I always look past what is presented on screen if I think there is merit for it and this discussion about the Aliens 'doing nothing' in Wolf's grasp sparked the pressure point idea.

SiL

SiL

The problem is the mystery pressure point isn't supported by anything, even the Alien's actions. Their tails are still moving plenty fine.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2009, 04:03:21 AM
The problem is the mystery pressure point isn't supported by anything, even the Alien's actions. Their tails are still moving plenty fine.

Well, no it wouldn't be supported by anything would it? This is all conjecture.
I am responding with an idea to people complaining that the Aliens don't seem to fight back when he holds them, I just took the pressure point approach as I know in real life exploiting a person's pressure points can hamper their movement. Thats all I am basing this on.
I'm just taking it further than the directors' approach of, "its cool" and trying to legitimise a reason for it occuring within the movie narrative.
Personally, I couldn't care less as to why the Aliens don't struggle, but this idea we are discussing just makes it more interesting.

SiL

SiL

But then it's pointless coming up with a reason for why it is the way it is, if the reasoning doesn't make any more sense than a lack thereof.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed