Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 121,639 times)

reecebomb

reecebomb

It's not The worst,  but it's easily in the top 10 worst of the year. 

Highland

Highland

I don't think it's a bad film outside of my personal thoughts. I definitely wouldn't put it in a worst list. I didn't even mind the Mummy and I loved King Arthur so I'm probably not the best gauge mind you.

Paranoid Android

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

The reason most people are putting it on their lists is because they are mad at what happened in the movie, kind of like the Last Jedi.  It's hard to please every fan and everyone has a right to their opinion, I just don't agree it belongs on the worst list because other movies suck on so many more levels.  I agree with it being a disappointment for people but its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

PsyKore

PsyKore

No, it is the worst, and Paranoid Android has all the YouTube videos to prove it. :laugh:

SM

SM

I'd be looking forward to '10 Worst Youtube Review Channels' if 'Everything Wrong With...' didn't take all 10 spots.

Paranoid Android

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen Covenant apologists throw around ad-hominems whenever they've seen a post or a review they disagreed with, I'd be the one owning Fox right now instead of Disney.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 26, 2017, 11:14:21 PM
If I had a nickel for every time I've seen Covenant apologists throw around ad-hominems whenever they've seen a post or a review they disagreed with, I'd be the one owning Fox right now instead of Disney.

No need for name-calling, mate. :laugh:

Scorpio

Scorpio

If I had a nickel for every time somebody complained about Hicks and Newt dying in Alien 3, screw Fox, I'd be owning Disney right now.

Corporal Hicks

How about neither side results to same thing and you'll have a happy administrator. Come-on ladies and gents, we're supposed to be adults here. There's no need for attacking each other and if it does happen, then please report the posts.

skhellter

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

In what way did it clarify Prometheus? It pretty much threw that film out from the get go.

SpreadEagleBeagle

My biggest issue with A:C (and PROM) is the non-Alien movie structure. I'm not talking about the story structure etc., I'm talking about how the prequels aren't bound to the here-and-now real-time principle, i.e. I'm referring to flashbacks and the memories of certain characters. In the original Alien movies everything enveloped in front of our eyes and thus we, the audience, had to put the pieces together. I shrouded everything off the screen in mystery. We didn't get to see what caused the Derelict to crash, or get to see some emotional memory of Ripley and her daughter Amanda etc. Everything proceeded chronologically within a set time frame.

A:C (and PROM) on the other hand is peppered with these offshoots (especially referring to the extended cut), which makes it all feel less immersive and "real", but most of all less mysterious and enigmatic.

If I would have edited A:C I would have cut the intro scene with Weyland and David, and I would have cut the bombardment scene of the Engineer capital as well. The content of both scenes could have been told in a different way and with different story devices.

For example, the mausoleum of charred disfigured humanoid figures would've been much more eerie if we didn't get to see what happened to them. Did David really kill them all or did he land on a planet already devoid of organic (meat) life, except for the remnants of black goo organisms? If he didn't kill them, then how long ago did this holocaust happen to the engineers on the planet?

I have other gripes with A:C (for example the totally off-character scenes where the cast go all Rambo Hollywood movie - yes I'm talking about the ridiculously stupid flying barge/crane fight - the most idiotic Alien move action scene and sequence EVER - it's almost AVP:R stupid!).

Scorpio

Scorpio

I have to disagree with that, Ripley going into the hive alone with a pulse rifle/flamethrower is Rambo, not Daniels swinging underneath a spaceship.

Flashback scenes are good, because the prequels have a different structure, they explore themes and characters to a greater depth.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 03, 2018, 09:47:09 PM
If I would have edited A:C I would have cut the intro scene with Weyland and David,

Holy shit, no. This is easily one of the best parts of the movie, and it ties into the film's ending really well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed