Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 119,042 times)

Gash

Gash

Hey, it's a sci-fi movie by Ridley Scott. I get the sense that this news might be smoke and mirrors because the hype/speculation is so high already, but even if not it's still likely to be a stunning film.

Perhaps I'm not that bothered because I never felt any loyalty to the 'franchise', only a great admiration for the 1979 classic. If Ridley feels that that franchise has killed the spirit of the original anyway he might well just want to revisit the genre and the universe he set in place without being shackled to any of the 'supposed' continuity of the sequels. If by stating as much now he is freeing up his creativity then so much the better.

In fact, if you read between the lines, it might well be that this was a necessary step in order to get Fox from making all sorts of continuity demands. The DNA tone that he talks about hints that maybe this is set in the same universe as the original but not the sequels, so it might be for those fans who recognise those elements, ie Alien(79) purists. Well one can hope.

Anyway, the hints are still there that there is a strong element of horror in this sc-fi, and Ridley Scott doing horror sci-fi is still the most exciting film news in years - whether a Space Jockey or alien appears or not.

Besides it was going to be difficult to put humans with aliens in a film set before Alien anyway. I definately still get the vibe that this film will tie up with Alien, but not in the predictable ways of an alien vs human plot.

If I'm wrong so be it, I've always considered Outland to be a closer sequel to Alien than Aliens anyway, so whatever Scott has to offer will be cool with me.

SiL

SiL

While we're just starting on the "Boo Fox!" stage -- would someone care to point out where it was ever said this was Fox's decision? Talk that this might go in another direction entirely has been floating around for months.

I'm all for shit-talking them as much as the next guy, but I also like doing it for shit they're actually responsible for.

shinigami

Damn... This sucks...

scarhunter92

Scott... I'm SO disappoint. >:(
Now FOX will most likely stick another amateur up our asses to do an Alien/AvP movie. :(

samoht

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Jan 15, 2011, 11:16:27 AM
Scott... I'm SO disappoint. >:(
Now FOX will most likely stick another amateur up our asses to do an Alien/AvP movie. :(

Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Keyes

What a kick in the guts.

For 2 years I'd been very much looking forward to a new Alien film directed by Scott... I mean to get THAT far after so many years seemed like a dream! While I'm grateful we got Predators in the last year, the Alien series has always been my thing. I've longed for a new stand-alone movie for years, and after 2 years of rumours and talk building up to what seemed like an imminent start date, and then for it to be now announced as something else is.... well, hugely disappointing to me.

When Damon Lindelof came onboard, and there was speculation that the discussions he'll have for the film may lead into something else, I didn't seriously believe that would happen. Who signs up for an Alien film only to make it something else? Absoloutely typical this would happen to the series I love. Thanks for that. Can't wait to see how he'll change Star Trek 2 into a ballet on the moon....

SiL

SiL

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Jan 15, 2011, 11:16:27 AM
Even though they vetoed the idea already just because they wanted Scott and only Scott? ???

Does no-one actually remember anything that happened in the last 18 months?

Johnny Handsome

I can't understand the people who are actually happy about this news.

I don't think they know what they are in for, in a few years they will announce it again, with a noob director, a teen cast and it's probably going to be a straight up remake, and they will go "Remember when Ridley Scott was attached to this? And Giger? And a tremendous actress?

Mark my words.

samoht

Consider them marked.

O.W.L.F.

to be honest....i am so glad that they turned it to something original....I was never a big fan of this whole prequel idea....on the other hand, we have a great Scott sci-fi action/horror epic on the horizon

this means that we still have a chance to have a Sigourney Weaver on board for the nextl Alien movie....I mean this franchise was always about Ripleys character.....and i think it should st this way....

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 15, 2011, 11:50:52 AM
I can't understand the people who are actually happy about this news.

I don't think they know what they are in for, in a few years they will announce it again, with a noob director, a teen cast and it's probably going to be a straight up remake,
Right. They waited over thirty years, said "f**k off" to a newcomer director that Ridley Scott signed off on, then waited for Ridley Scott to be available before even thinking about the thing further ... but within the near future they're going to just do a remake anyway with a collection of nobodies and underwear models.

Is Fox just entirely populated by mustache-twirling villains to you people, or what?

Johnny Handsome

QuoteRight. They waited over thirty years, said "f**k off" to a newcomer director that Ridley Scott signed off on, then waited for Ridley Scott to be available before even thinking about the thing further ... but within the near future they're going to just do a remake anyway with a collection of nobodies and underwear models.

Is Fox just entirely populated by mustache-twirling villains to you people, or what?

I don't blame FOX for this in the slightest.

And they didnt wait 30 years, they made a whole series of movies in between that you know... and they didn't give a shit for Ridley in the mean time..or Giger. They gave the sequel to a noob, that noob just happened to be James Cameron, and they did it again with Alien 3.

They will do it again, and in a Hollywood that is flooded with screaming Teen's that like gay Vampires and Ladyboys, they will make the movie with that in mind. 'Cause that is economically viable. And so is the Alien franchise.

Expect a low-budget Reboot/Re-Imagening/Remake in the near future without Ridley is all i'm saying.

Keg

Keg

Wow this thread is bursting with idiocy!

Corporal Hicks

Comeon, Johnny, you know better than that. Aliens was given to Cameron based on the talent he'd shown in his script and with the success of Terminator.

I'm disappointed in that we wont be getting a new Alien film anytime soon but am extremely relieved because I don't want something so completely different from Alien. Even if it is by Riddles. I want Alien. We all know how much the first Alien relied on having all those key people to make it great. Scott and Giger both had their own crazy ideas that I was worried might surface for this.

I'm hopeful that we'll get a new Alien film. Maybe in between A3 and A4. Something isolated. Or a decent reboot of AvP. Who knows.

Fox sent me the press release and it's just what's online. No mention of Alien's future.

Spoiler
RIDLEY SCOTT'S PROMETHEUS IS BOUND FOR
RELEASE ON MARCH 9, 2012
Legendary filmmaker returns to science fiction filmmaking for first time since Blade Runner

Los Angeles (January 14, 2011) __ Twentieth Century Fox announced today that Ridley Scott will direct PROMETHEUS, an original science fiction epic, for worldwide release on March 9, 2012.  The initial draft of the script was written by Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) from Scott's idea. Damon Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek) and Scott have since been working together on the current version which has expanded the story into new directions.

Story details are being closely guarded so as not to spoil surprises for moviegoers, but Scott explained the outlines of the film and its genesis as follows: "While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place.  The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative.  I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart."

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots," said Lindelof. "I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it.  Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true."

Of the five major roles to be cast, Noomi Rapace is the first actor signed to star in the film. The young Swedish actress landed the role of scientist Elizabeth Shaw after Scott saw her portrayal of fictional Lisbeth Salander in the film The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, for which she was lauded by Time magazine as a 2010 Performance of the Year. Rapace starred in all three entries of the breakout global franchise based on Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy of books (The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest are the other two entries), which have collectively grossed more than $212 million worldwide.
The other major roles will be cast shortly.

About Fox Filmed Entertainment
One of the world's largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, Fox Filmed Entertainment produces, acquires and distributes motion pictures throughout the world.  These motion pictures are produced or acquired by the following units of FFE:  Twentieth Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox International Productions and Twentieth Century Fox Animation

[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed