The Walking Dead

Started by Undeadite, Aug 12, 2009, 04:35:41 AM

Author
The Walking Dead (Read 649,099 times)

Undeadite

Undeadite

For those of you not familiar with the comic, The Walking Dead is a running narrative about a group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse. Much like Romero's Dead saga, almost all of the conflict arises not from the zombies, but from the humans themselves and how they feed off of each other. It acts as an in depth examination on the laws of human nature, and how the trials of death can change us as people. Well, apparently this awesome comic series is being turned into a television series.

http://www.joblo.com/darabont-walking-dead

The series is being created by Frank Darabont (Director of Stephen King's The Mist, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile), and will be made for AMC. AMC has had quite a success rate with their original series, with hits such as Breaking Bad and Mad Men. With any luck this new show will be given the same amount of attention and dedication as their other hits. And, due to the subject matter, this could easily be the horror serial that many fans have been waiting for (or at least something less melodramatic than True Blood but more adult than the Buffy esque Reanimator series coming later this year).

I just recently started reading the comics, and havent been able to put it down. Writer Robert Kirkman is a master story teller, with a knack for killing off important characters at the drop of a hat. I am 15 issues into the series, and I have wanted to cry for the central characters on more than one occasion. At first I was a little taken aback by the whole thing, because it starts off similarly to 28 Days Later with the main character (a small town cop named Rick) waking up from a coma and finding the world around him collapsed. But as the story plays out, and he finds his family with a rag tag band of survivors and his ex partner, it becomes like an addiction.

Now I know that there is an oversaturation in the zombie market, but seeing that both Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd (producer for both T2 and Aliens) are involved, this may actually have some merit.

Huol

Huol

f**k yes!

Undeadite

Undeadite

My thoughts exactly!  :D

Rikomaru

Rikomaru

What I really like about the Walking dead is that  the writer want the comic to be like a Romero film like he said in the first issues. And he really made it. Great story and characters. And no damn Rage zombies ! Man I'm fed up with these kind of zombies who sprint faster than a Olympic champion.Like the old fashioned the best.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huol on Aug 12, 2009, 04:36:24 AM
f**k yes!
Said it better than I could. The Walking Dead is amazing. I just wonder if they can pull off the gore and "mature" subject matter if it's going to be on AMC.

Undeadite

Undeadite

I dont think we will have to worry about it being edited too much. Most of the sex in the comcs is only hinted at, there isnt too much swearing that isnt allowed on late night tv, and the gore isnt too much of a problem with the ratings board. There is enough presidence on tv already to believe the gore wont be toned down much if at all, considering there are shows like Nip Tuck, the countless CSI and forensic shows, and even ABC's Breaking Bad has had more than a few cases of extreme carnage and goo. Im actually glad it isnt on HBO or Showtime. If this is a success, it could pave the way for real horror content on basic cable.

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

I was gonna post this =D

This is GREAT news, but I'm also a little concerned about it being on AMC. I dont want any censorship or downgrade of gore. Something like this should be on HBO or Showtime. I really like the comic series so far and am totaly happy this is being made in some form. Frank is a great director and could certainly make a good zombie film, imo.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17047

For the zombie-makeup effects, I hope they get Tom Savini.

Speaking of zombie shows and series...anyone remember "Babylon Fields" that was going to be on CBS back in 2007? I guess they never aired the pilot = /

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955219/

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/10/babylon_fieldscbss_buried_zomb.php

Undeadite

Undeadite

Tom Savini would be a godsend! As far as I know he doesnt have anything major cooking in the near future. Im sure if they wanted to, they could get him. As for Babylon Fields, I never saw it but heard nothing but crap about it.

Huol

Huol

As far as I know Savini retired from the horror stuff.

But I agree. If they got Savini involved I may need a new pair of underwear.

Fenrir

Fenrir

Quotef**k yes!

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I knew they would do a show! Yay!

Friendly Wise

Friendly Wise

It's real nice to hear this, in my eyes, there has really been a shortage of good horror flicks/shows. I'm so tired of these vampire want a be "Twilight" shows it's not even funny. I'm glad to see they are finally paying some homeage to a classic genere such as this.

Quote from: Rikomaru on Aug 12, 2009, 04:55:36 AM
And no damn Rage zombies ! Man I'm fed up with these kind of zombies who sprint faster than a Olympic champion.Like the old fashioned the best.

I can understand why a majority of the traditionlist would opt out for the George Romero "Walkers", instead of the agile, fast moving zombies. But lets be real, the agile, fast moving zombies provide a bit of realism and dramatic flair for a scenario of human survivors. With the agile fast moving zombies, it can take only a small group to kill you. Plus, the option of walking/running past them just went out the window. But with the walker zombies, numbers or stealth are really required. Either way, I respect both the runners and walkers, because imo, it doesn't matter which version of zombie you have, everything lies within the story.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

For me, walkers are scary in numbers even if the shot is a
helicopter shot and the zombies are on the hillside because you need
to change your lifestyle to survive, and every extra zombie is one less zombie.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

It nice to see more movies based on Image Comics now.

Undeadite

Undeadite

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18785

The pilot has been greenlight for production. God I hope it's good enough for a full series!!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed