The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 66,373 times)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

So I took the plunge and picked up a few 40k starter sets this morning.  It's been 20+ years since I last stepped into a Games Workshop and my painting skills are rusty to say the least.  That being said, I forgot how much I loved painting miniatures.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

What'd you get?

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

The Know No Fear box set, some paint sets and a few brushes

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

There's a new starter set coming out when the new 9th Edition rules hit in the near future.

I mean it's not going to make your miniatures obsolete, but your rulebook will be out of date. If your store has any kind of decent customer service they'll likely be able to hook you up with the new rules when they come out.

My local shop has actually put up a little sign covering the rulebooks on their shelves saying "Whoa not so fast! New rules coming soon!" to dissuade people from buying the "current" rules.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 29, 2020, 03:00:49 AM
There's a new starter set coming out when the new 9th Edition rules hit in the near future.

I mean it's not going to make your miniatures obsolete, but your rulebook will be out of date. If your store has any kind of decent customer service they'll likely be able to hook you up with the new rules when they come out.

My local shop has actually put up a little sign covering the rulebooks on their shelves saying "Whoa not so fast! New rules coming soon!" to dissuade people from buying the "current" rules.

To be fair he explained that to me, but for now I'm just focusing on painting rather than playing

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Things are about to get even more epic......

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Opinions on getting extra victory points for being fully painted? At first I thought, "sounds like an improvement that'll be hard to enforce", then I saw how upset people were and decided I in fact, 100% support the rule and any others that generate this kinda salt.

Shasvre

Shasvre

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Quote from: Shasvre on Jul 05, 2020, 09:02:30 PM
Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jul 04, 2020, 09:02:31 PM
Things are about to get even more epic......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1PnjrKExd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmAlvZRXLLQ

I wonder what this means for Mars.

It probably means that the Imperium are going to lose quite a few in the Adeptus Mechanicus. Worse case scenario is several Imperator Titans being put under C'tan control.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jul 06, 2020, 04:19:09 PM

It probably means that the Imperium are going to lose quite a few in the Adeptus Mechanicus. Worse case scenario is several Imperator Titans being put under C'tan control.

Doubt it. Ctan are pokemon these days, they don't run shit.

Also, I've decided I don't like the new necrons at all. Some of the silhouettes are cool but with all these crisp, high res images, I've realized how much I still dislike the silly hats, capes made of coins etc of the post-fifth-edition necron look, and again with the better pics, I can see how much the theme of damage and decay infects the entire new model line - I guess that whole "living metal" regeneration thing doesn't apply to SpOoOoOoKy dings and dents and random hanging cables.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 06, 2020, 08:07:11 PM

Doubt it. Ctan are pokemon these days

Actually, if you research the Void Dragon in the lore, it has the ability to control technology. Even if it is nothing but a shard, that will still be very problematic for pretty much all of the races with the exception of the Tyranids. You can read more on that here.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mag%27ladroth

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dragon_of_Mars#fn_1a

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jul 06, 2020, 08:33:45 PM

Doubt it. Ctan are pokemon these days

Actually, if you research the Void Dragon in the lore, it has the ability to control technology. Even if it is nothing but a shard, that will still be very problematic for pretty much all of the races with the exception of the Tyranids. You can read more on that here.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mag%27ladroth

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dragon_of_Mars#fn_1a

I've been reading the lore since before the dragon was a thing. I strongly doubt there'll be any major fluff impact from this model being released.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Also, I've decided I don't like the new necrons at all. Some of the silhouettes are cool but with all these crisp, high res images, I've realized how much I still dislike the silly hats, capes made of coins etc of the post-fifth-edition necron look, and again with the better pics, I can see how much the theme of damage and decay infects the entire new model line - I guess that whole "living metal" regeneration thing doesn't apply to SpOoOoOoKy dings and dents and random hanging cables.
When you say "new Necrons", do you mean 5th Ed stuff or the to-be-released stuff?

I'm totally okay with the 5th edition stuff, but I'm not at all a fan of a lot of the new stuff, especially the Necron heads and the battle-damaged motif. Give me the option to make them battle damaged, don't make the decision for me.
Also the pinhole-nose on the new Necron heads looks goofy compared to 3rd/5th Ed Necron stuff, and the new Warriors are trash. The 3rd Ed Necron Warriors were perfect and their translucent green rods are awesome. I've got like 50 Necron Warriors and they look awesome in a huge block.

I will say that some of the new Cryptek stuff and the Canoptek constructs look cool though.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 07, 2020, 03:47:54 AM

When you say "new Necrons", do you mean 5th Ed stuff or the to-be-released stuff?

Yes.

Which is to say, I was referring to the newest stuff with that complaint, but I loathe all the 5th ed stuff too (except for the Immortal and Lychguard kits when built at their most simple) since it's the start of the silly hats and coin-cloaks.

Then there's these f**king things:

QuoteI'm totally okay with the 5th edition stuff, but I'm not at all a fan of a lot of the new stuff, especially the Necron heads and the battle-damaged motif. Give me the option to make them battle damaged, don't make the decision for me.

Exactly. I signed up for Terminator not mecha-zombies.

QuoteAlso the pinhole-nose on the new Necron heads looks goofy compared to 3rd/5th Ed Necron stuff, and the new Warriors are trash.

Agreed.

QuoteThe 3rd Ed Necron Warriors were perfect and their translucent green rods are awesome. I've got like 50 Necron Warriors and they look awesome in a huge block.

Perfect is a bit much. The kit really needed an update, specifically to add new leg poses and change the sprue-connection-points on the heads. But more of a re-cut like Tyranid Warriors and Tau Fire Warriors got, where the basic kit stayed almost identical but got sharper detail and more options.

QuoteI will say that some of the new Cryptek stuff and the Canoptek constructs look cool though.

I was super intrigued by the silhouettes/broad strokes in the leaked blurry pic but upon closer inspection, I was really put off.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I can agree with Warriors getting better head placement on the sprue and more leg options, but I still really like the old kit. I'm totally cool with all of the 5th edition stuff, but most of the new stuff turns me off unless I can do head swaps with the old stuff, that might salvage some of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed