The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 66,434 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Luetin seems to be channeling CB in this...

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I don't have the spoons to listen to someone waffling on "authoritatively" for half an hour, but if he's saying the 5th edition retcon to their lore was shit, then he's right.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think his point is that changing them from beep-boop soulless killbots who serve the C'tan to what they are now has given them agency over their own destiny, and therefore an ultimate goal that they're working toward.  He argues that this endgame of theirs makes no sense.

That part of the video starts at 19:06 if you don't want to listen to the whole thing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Can you review this for accuracy?

Still Collating...

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 16, 2023, 10:30:23 PMI don't have the spoons to listen to someone waffling on "authoritatively" for half an hour, but if he's saying the 5th edition retcon to their lore was shit, then he's right.

Luetin doesn't do the authoritatively thing, the opposite, frequently says how many contradicting sources there are, discuses at length a lot about the lore. Portrays what's possible, what's known (very little), what's speculation, what're rumors etc. He's the most respected lore dude on youtube for Warhammer 40K cause of his nuanced and informative approach I believe. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

What I meant is that I've been in the hobby for 25 years and:
- Know the lore pretty damn intimately from the start to the period I consider the high point.
- Don't really care to learn much about anything later than that.
- Disike youtube monologues at the best of times.

So any lore video regardless of quality is a mixture of shit I already know and shit I don't care about, all in a format I don't enjoy. And I don't need an expert because, well, I am an expert. I can also go and look in my extensive library of physical copies of books for specific tidbits if I really need to.

I'm just not the target audience here.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I received the book "Horus Rising" as a gift from a friend for my birthday.
Is it a good starting point into the lore?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It's an excellent starting point for The Horus Heresy, which is set before 40k. Being such a sprawling setting in both time and space, you may as well start with that.

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

Surprisingly I never got into it even though my brother and Dad did and still are. I remember when the PC game first came out and my brother wanted me to play against him. I really had no interest in it but went with just because and was slaughtering my brother.

Poor guy.

They're both still avid players. My Dad has an entire room just for Warhammer 40k and has dozens of pieces that he made himself. My brother has specifically modified cases to carry all his models and equipment in.

There's a new store in the city 100 miles from where I live that does the board game and as usual, if you make your own characters you play for free. So I'm taking my Dad up there once he comes back from Thailand.

I want to point out that I don't think Warhammer 40k is stupid or nerdy. I've just personally never had an interest in it. Ironically, with me having no interest in the game, I'm still publishing one of my books where the main character's spot he hangs out in with his brother and his friends is a Warhammer 40k gaming store.

I'm just weird I guess.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I haven't played Warhammer 40k in so long that I don't even remember how to play 🤣 (I was using rogue trader blood angels when I played last - they'd just started the 'new' 40k rulebook, and I was in the process of building a tyranid army - they didn't even have a codex for tyranids then (did they ever get one?) ...I imagine there's probably been 90 new versions of the game since then... whilst I doubt I have the patience or time to paint an army these days (or money, judging by the comments) I've been curious about Space Hulk on the PS5 😊

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Original Warhammer 40K Rulebook Returns to Print for Limited Time.

Here is the excerpt from the post on the Warhammer-community website in regards to the upcoming Warhammer Day.                           

QuoteWarhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (Book) – Print on Demand
Thought we were done? Well have we got a treat for you...

Take a trip down memory lane, and get a fascinating glimpse into the rich history of the game with this faithful reprint of the original edition of Warhammer 40,000, first released in 1987.

Previously only available to purchase at Warhammer World, this 288-page Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader book will be available on a Print on Demand basis until 8am BST on Monday the 23rd of October 2023 and will ship within 180 days of the ordering window closing. Make sure to secure this must-have collectors item while you can!

Source: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/08/sunday-preview-new-releases-abound-from-the-age-of-darkness/

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Poor timing for me, because I don't know exactly where I'll be in 200 days other than "not where I am currently", and I really want that book. Guess I'll have to just keep "go to WHW and get a hard copy of RT" on my to do list for the northern hemisphere.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I got an itch to paint more Death Guard so I bought a box of these fine upstanding gentlemen:

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Death-Guard-Blightlord-Terminators-2020?slug=shop&slug=Death-Guard-Blightlord-Terminators-2020

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed