Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 286,596 times)

DoomRulz

Horner's lecture at the museum tonight was extremely fascinating. He was talking about first, actually eliminating at least 1/3 of known dinosaurs on record by looking more closely at the bones themselves. Instead of naming new dinosaurs every time scientists discover something new, they should be looking more closely at what species they really have. He showed us examples of Edmontosaurus and Anatotitan, Pachycephalosaurus, Dracorex, and Stygimoloch, Triceratops and Torosaurus, and T.Rex and Nanotyrannus. On examining the bones via CAT scans, the fossils of the supposed smaller dinosaur is in fact just a younger version of the fully grown dinosaur (Nanot is just a young T.Rex, Edmontosaurus a young Anatotitan, etc...) He was literally cancelling out these other dinosaurs, it was nuts.

And the second half of the lecture was about hatching a chickenosaurus, if you will, from a chicken egg. By stopping the genes at the stages of chicken's embryonic development which allow for the growth of wings and instead letting them grow into arms, and stopping the gene which allows for tail reabsorption, let the tail grow much longer. In essence, you'd hatch out a chicken that looks more like an actual dromaeosaurid. Oh, and it would have teeth as well because chickens have teeth.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Huol on May 26, 2010, 01:56:00 AM
Jack Horner killed my childhood.

He's a really nice guy actually. Yes, my opinion of him has changed. Very well-spoken, obviously well-knowledged, and a big guy too at that. He's at least 6'3".

SM

Is he still a "dick"?

DoomRulz

Nah. I met him personally and he's a real stand up guy. Very nice, easy to speak to, and well-versed in his discipline. No word on JP 4 though lol; I asked him if he'd be working on it and he said he's busy with Terranova.

Huol

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 26, 2010, 02:07:21 AM
Quote from: Huol on May 26, 2010, 01:56:00 AM
Jack Horner killed my childhood.

He's a really nice guy actually. Yes, my opinion of him has changed. Very well-spoken, obviously well-knowledged, and a big guy too at that. He's at least 6'3".

But he killed my childhood. >:l

DoomRulz

I'm sure you mentioned before why, but refresh my memory.

SM

Careful.  He's Doom's best bud now.  ;D

DoomRulz

Wise guy.

Huol

He turned the unstoppable killing machine of my dreams into a wet scavenger.

f**k science.

The moment they realised the dinosaurs might have feathers they shoulda just said "ok lets just back the f**k away from this"

Now we really did have 6ft turkeys wandering around...

ShadowPred

I just ignore all that shit. I go watch Jurassic Park and leave it at that.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Huol on May 26, 2010, 02:32:00 AM
He turned the unstoppable killing machine of my dreams into a wet scavenger.

f**k science.

The moment they realised the dinosaurs might have feathers they shoulda just said "ok lets just back the f**k away from this"

Now we really did have 6ft turkeys wandering around...

Science has proven T.Rex was a predator, so don't worry. And large carnivorous dinosaurs aren't depicted with feathers.

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 26, 2010, 02:31:10 AM
Wise guy.

:D

I think it's commendable you actually shelled out to go listen to the dude and were willing to have your mind changed.

DoomRulz

Well like I said, it was the topic that drew me in. If this was Michael Moore, I wouldn't have given it second thought because I don't care much for politics.

TITANOSAUR

Anybody here like to see Giganotosaurus fight T-Rex and Spinosaurus? it'll be kick Ass! and why haven't Giganotosaurus appear in any JP films? I know it was discovered during the mid-late 1990s, but you'd think it'll appear in some movies or something.

"You DO get to play and fight one in Carnivores Cityscape."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed