Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 286,616 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 15, 2016, 05:07:42 PM
Great Pics/Art ^^^^

My favorites have always been Albertosaurus & Allosaurus. Not sure why they keep putting the same old Raptors and T-Rex's let alone fake dinos in Jurassic Park sequels when so many awesome looking dinos to choose from...

I like Allosaurus, always been a underrated Dinosaur in my opinion. T-Rex is always been popular before Jurassic seeing that it's such a big and powerful looking Dinosaur. You had many old sci-fi films with a T-Rex and even Godzilla's design combined elements of a T-Rex. I ado admit that more Theropods in other media besides a T-Rex. At least The Valley of Gwangi as a Allosaurus.

Immortan Jonesy

QuoteNamed Tongtianlong limosus - which means "muddy dragon on the road to heaven" - the dinosaur appears to have died after getting stuck in the mud

New species of 'weird bird'-like dinosaur discovered in China

MrSpaceJockey

"Muddy dragon on the road to heaven"  :D :D :'(

Gilfryd

QuoteI was lucky enough to get the opportunity to do art for Dinosaurs vs. Beasts early this year for Scholastic by way of Becker&Mayer! book producers. I was tasked with doing 22 different prehistoric critters, many of which I had never drawn before under a pretty tight deadline. It was extremely difficult to get everyone done in time and I had to paint up 11 of them in a week. It was such a satisfying project that I learned a ton from. I assembled the bunch into a big group shot so I don't clutter your watch feed with 22 deviations. I hope you guys get a kick out this, its one of the biggest projects I've taken on and I'm pretty proud of the result.
http://arvalis.deviantart.com/art/Dinosaurs-vs-Beasts-636925228

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Jul 13, 2016, 11:39:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg

^ An idea of what you could probably expect from a lot of dinosaurs. The cassowary is one of the most basal living birds, so is about the closest we can get. Crocodilians have a similar range of growls and low-frequency grunts.

I would imagine that various families evolved very different methods of communication though, as is the case in living birds - they certainly had time for it. An obvious example is Parasaurolophus, which almost certainly used its crest as a giant amplifier.

I don't doubt for one second that such a noise coming from a 5-10 ton carnivorous animal wouldn't scare the hell out of anyone unfortunate enough to be around it.

Immortan Jonesy

QuoteThis is the first time that dinosaur skeletal material has been found in amber.

A Dinosaur's Bloody Feathered Tail Has Been Found Preserved in Amber

Mr.Turok

Tyrannosaurus rex was a sensitive lover, new dinosaur discovery suggests
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/30/tyrannosaurus-rex-was-a-sensitive-lover-new-dinosaur-discovery-suggests

QuoteT rex and other tyrannosaurs would have used their tactile noses to explore their surroundings, build nests, and carefully pick up fragile eggs and baby offspring.

But the snout is thought to have served another purpose. Experts believe that males and females rubbed their sensitive faces together in a prehistoric form of foreplay.

Writing in the journal Scientific Reports, the US authors describe how the sensitive skin may have proved crucial to the dinosaur's mating success. "In courtship, tyrannosaurids might have rubbed their sensitive faces together as a vital part of pre-copulatory play," they explain.

No lie, I "dawww" at this.  ;D

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Dec 08, 2016, 09:18:41 PM
QuoteThis is the first time that dinosaur skeletal material has been found in amber.

Would the DNA be good enough to clone it?

The Alien Predator

Whos_Nick

Carnotaurus and Ceratosaurus are favorites of mine.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on May 01, 2017, 12:09:33 AM
Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Dec 08, 2016, 09:18:41 PM

Would the DNA be good enough to clone it?

I don't think it's been examined for DNA yet, and the simple answer would be "almost certainly no", but palaeontology can be full of surprises. Off the top of my head, here are the stumbling blocks:

• DNA degrades fairly quickly, and all trace of it tends to vanish over a few thousand years even in highly preservative environments. I think the oldest definitively confirmed sample of DNA was a bit under a million years old.
  • With pretty much any animal that became extinct before recorded history, you'd be looking at fragmented DNA, and we don't currently have the means to "fill in the gaps."
  • Even if a full DNA sequence can be extracted or synthesised, there's the difficulty of creating a viable embryo from it. It's extremely rare for DNA implanted into an egg to successfully replicate, even when both come from members of the same species. *May* be possible, but there's the drawback that you'd need to mass-produce the DNA strand.
  • To date, no animal that lays a calcified egg has ever been cloned. There may be further issues there.
  • Assuming all these hurdles can be jumped, there's then the fun stuff of dealing with a living thing. Cloning presents a higher likelihood of stillbirth. There's a learning experience of what environmental conditions they need, and nutritional demands once they're born, or if grown in an incubator. Things that're toxic to it need discovering. There's the matter of its immune system, because offspring often develop their microbiome and associated systems from contact with their parent. And finally, there's social continuity - without parents to teach it how to be what it is, it's likely to behave abnormally.
So it's very unlikely to be possible even in such an extraordinary case as this one. I won't rule it out though - the last couple of decades in palaeontology have yielded things that were thought impossible or forever unknowable, or massively altered our understanding. The most relevant of which in this case was the discovery that Mesozoic organic material can survive to the present day. We're talking proteins, not intact DNA, but still...

Immortan Jonesy

New dinosaur named after Ghostbusters creature

QuoteMe and my co-author David Evans were batting around ideas for what to name it, and I just half-jokingly said, 'It looks like Zuul from Ghostbusters'. Once we put that out there we couldn't not name it that.

Gate

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Cool. There was the old Dragon Documentary that talks about if Dragons was real animals.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed