Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 286,602 times)

Lovely Maggot

I didn't read all the posts here so excuse me if anyone already asked this but is anyone insterested in prehistoric arthropods?  :)

My personal favourite is Arthropleura, it just defiles what we know about arthropods so far because it's just so damn big! In fact it might well be the biggest arthropod that ever existed simply because the fossils are of shed exoskeletons which means that a living adult might be bigger than expected  :o

DoomRulz

It would make a great guard dog.

Lovely Maggot

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 22, 2014, 09:40:15 PM
It would make a great guard dog.

It's supposed to be slow and docile so I don't think that'll work ;) Then again it would scare most entomophobes away :D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

A bit of nostalgia:

Blacklabel

The T-rex in the original King Kong is definitely my favourite on screen representation of dinos in that era.

DoomRulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4pJL1eAh00#ws

On a different note, Happy Belated 109th Birthday to Tyrannosaurus Rex!!!

Vertigo

Larry Witmer and a few other researchers from Ohio and Calgary universities will be presenting research in November about a new method of estimating dinosaur intelligence. Apparently they've found a way to calculate evolutionary changes to brain structure, and the preview states that existing calculations of dino encephalisation quotients are too low.

The sample group will be Stegosaurus, Euoplocephalus, Hypacrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Diplodocus, Majungasaurus and Troodon, they'll be compared with birds and reptiles. I'm hoping the findings make their way online quickly.

DoomRulz

No shit! I wonder how much more intelligent ankylosaurids will become, given that the prevailing idea that having a reinforced head doesn't leave much room for brain space.

DoomRulz

I read Nat Geo's piece on Spinosaurus; interesting stuff. Of course now it's outdated since Scott Hartman's analysis, along with Ibrahim's new take on it, were released soon after the initial announcement, but it was still nice. Looking at the old Stromer photos, I'm surprised no one caught on to the true shape of the sail. It had the look that is used now, rather than a single, smooth half-moon that we used to see.

DoomRulz

Vertigo

Fish-eaters, interesting. Also, I thought they were desert-dwellers, but the article states they lived in more of a temperate, moistish area.

Immortan Jonesy

Deinocheirus it's looked like this?

Lovely Maggot

Love his hairdo though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed