Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 283,333 times)

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 20, 2017, 03:24:58 AM
Quote from: marrerom on May 20, 2017, 03:17:56 AM

(P.S. I want to give a big shout out to Ridley for retconning the AVP movies out of existence. Well done.
)

You mean with David being the creator of the Alien?

Yeah. Cant have Aliens running around in ancient Mayan cities if they hadn't been created yet.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
"They want Aliens, I'll give them f**king Aliens."

This quote from Ridley Scott echoed through my mind as I watched Alien: Covenant. It doesn't feel like Scott's heart was in this one, and as a result, it doesn't do what Prometheus did well, nor does it do what a quality Alien film should do well. Well, at least most of the time.

The one truly good, high tension scene was the backburster. I also did like the birth of the Alien, it wasn't as bad as so many have reported. But the rest of the scenes with the Aliens and Neomorphs felt hollow and rushed. Clearly Ridley has no interest in making a creature feature. There is no good sequence with it. At least every Alien movie prior had that one lengthy sequence where the Alien gets to shine and do its thing. This movie doesn't have that.

I was hoping at least that the David scenes would pop as I've heard, but surprisingly I didn't even really like those. It was fine, but dragged the movie down.

The characters are much more generic and red-shirt than Prometheus. Say what you want about that film, but at least I knew most of the characters' names. That said, they are acted well.

There are a lot of good ideas in Covenant, but it feels like it was all shoved into a rather bland blockbuster format. It feels empty; like the many modern blockbusters of today. I thought the film would at least be thoughtful, but it's really not.

If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

I respect your opinion, but I really don't share them or agree with them.  I think Ridley was in top form with this movie and while it is not a perfect film (no such creature, really), it is certainly an enjoyable ride from start to finish.  The few things that I found wrong with the movie are, in my eyes, minor nitpicks at best and hardly worth bringing up as I recognize they are nitpicks and nothing more. 

At the end of the day, maybe one's perception and enjoyment of the movie depends on the expectations and emotional baggage the viewer brings into the theater.  I went into the theater hoping to see an Alien movie and lo and behold... that's what I got.  Maybe if I went in expecting a Prometheus movie, I would be disappointed and likely angry.  But to me, it's an Alien movie and it's certainly a far better Alien movie than anything we've gotten in the last 20 some odd years.  It's a far more coherent and enjoyable film to watch than the theatrical cut of Alien 3 and it's not even in the same dimension as Alien: Resurrection (which is, in my opinion, a pilot for Firefly masquerading as an Alien film).  And it's certainly far more enjoyable than the AvP films. 

It also has the side effect of making me view Prometheus in a fonder, albeit slightly more somber light.  Seeing the depths that David sinks to in Covenant makes his journey in Prometheus far more enjoyable than it already was in the first place.  I can't wait to watch it again now so I can see if I can detect hints of David's bipolar God Complex present in that film.  And of course, knowing that Shaw ultimately dies will make seeing her trials and suffering in Prometheus a more somber experience.  Like the Set Designer that Hicks interviewed a few months back said, I think Covenant will make Prometheus a far better (or at the very least, I'll find it more enjoyable) than it was a week ago when I watched it in my pre-Covenant hype-building marathon.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteI think Ridley was in top form

You realize by saying that, you're comparing Alien Covenant to: Alien...Blade Runner...Gladiator...Black Hawk Down...American Gangster...maybe even Black Rain or Legend if you want to go there.

I disagree. This is nowhere near how good he's been in the past. No way.

Also, how is Resurrection a pilot for Firefly if Whedon disowned it essentially?

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:36:47 AM
QuoteI think Ridley was in top form

You realize by saying that, you're comparing Alien Covenant to: Alien...Blade Runner...Gladiator...Black Hawk Down...American Gangster...maybe even Black Rain or Legend if you want to go there.

I disagree. This is nowhere near how good he's been in the past. No way.

Also, how is Resurrection a pilot for Firefly if Whedon disowned it essentially?

We agree to disagree then.  Nothing wrong with that.  =)

EDIT:  To expand on that, let me say that I don't think Alien: Covenant is in the same category as the movies you listed.  But I do think that there is an element of personal taste in some of the movies you have listed.  I note you didn't include GI Jane in that list of yours.  Also absent is Thelma and Louise, also directed by Ridley Scott.  Perhaps it's safe to say that when it comes to comparing the works of a director, there is a definite element of personal taste that is far more prevalent than when comparing films?

EDIT:  And Whedon can disown Resurrection as much as he wants.  Doesn't change the fact that the characters and setting in that movie bear a striking resemblance to Firefly.   

Hudson

Hudson

Thelma and Louise I forgot.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:25:45 AM
I get it. Some people like this movie, that's fine whatever. I'm not mad.

BUT, I want someone to make an attempt at justifying the dancing chestburster for me. I'm not going back through pages and pages to find this response if it's already been given, so link me if it's already been explained. Give me your best shot on that, because no matter how much my opinion of this movie softens with time, that is never not going to be both the most idiotic and point-and-laugh hilarious moment in the film.

After thinking about it some, I think I can personally rank all the films since people are doing it. I don't feel like leaving out the Predator movies if the AvP movies are included though. This may change the next time I watch Covenant:

Aliens
Alien
Predator
Alien 3
Predator 2
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus/Alien Covenant
AvP
Predators
AvPR

Was it dancing? I thought it was doing a 'monkey see, monkey do kind of thing.' I don't know it's a weird moment. It almost seems to know that David is its master. 

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:46:52 AM
Thelma and Louise I forgot.

I should also point out that I am of the blasphemous opinion that Blade Runner is an absolutely boring movie to watch.  It's right up there with 2001 in my opinion.  Both are standout films that have had a definite impact on cinema.... but both are far too pretentious and ponderously paced for me to enjoy.  They are both, in my opinion, films that need to be seen at least once... but neither are movies that I would want to watch again. 

So like I said, personal taste.  Gotta love it.  =)

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 20, 2017, 03:48:57 AM
Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:25:45 AM
I get it. Some people like this movie, that's fine whatever. I'm not mad.

BUT, I want someone to make an attempt at justifying the dancing chestburster for me. I'm not going back through pages and pages to find this response if it's already been given, so link me if it's already been explained. Give me your best shot on that, because no matter how much my opinion of this movie softens with time, that is never not going to be both the most idiotic and point-and-laugh hilarious moment in the film.

After thinking about it some, I think I can personally rank all the films since people are doing it. I don't feel like leaving out the Predator movies if the AvP movies are included though. This may change the next time I watch Covenant:

Aliens
Alien
Predator
Alien 3
Predator 2
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus/Alien Covenant
AvP
Predators
AvPR

Was it dancing? I thought it was doing a 'monkey see, monkey do kind of thing.' I don't know it's a weird moment. It almost seems to know that David is its master.

I looked at the scene as the chestburster imprinting itself on what it viewed was it's "parent".  The adult Neomorph was almost doing the same thing with opening it's mouth a little like it was blowing air into a flute before Orem blasted it.  In fact, I would say the Neomorph's behavior sets the precedent for the chestburster's behavior.

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 03:54:47 AM
That's fair. But...yikes.

I know, right?  I need to break out the flame-retardant suit and batten down the hatches to prepare for the inevitable flames that are about to be launched at me for daring to voice a contrary opinion about the highly-regarded masterpiece that is Blade Runner.  But still, that's just my opinion of the movie.  I'm not nearly delusional enough to fool myself into thinking I can convince other people that my opinion is law.  =)

Engineer

Engineer

Yea I didn't really like the connection between David and the creatures either...

... and I'm still trying to decide whether David kissing Walter was homosexual or narcissistic...

And for the record, NO, I'm not trying to be insulting to any homosexuals that might be browsing around here. Just an observation from the film.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 03:32:20 AM
I respect your opinion, but I really don't share them or agree with them.  I think Ridley was in top form with this movie and while it is not a perfect film (no such creature, really), it is certainly an enjoyable ride from start to finish.  The few things that I found wrong with the movie are, in my eyes, minor nitpicks at best and hardly worth bringing up as I recognize they are nitpicks and nothing more. 

At the end of the day, maybe one's perception and enjoyment of the movie depends on the expectations and emotional baggage the viewer brings into the theater.  I went into the theater hoping to see an Alien movie and lo and behold... that's what I got.  Maybe if I went in expecting a Prometheus movie, I would be disappointed and likely angry.  But to me, it's an Alien movie and it's certainly a far better Alien movie than anything we've gotten in the last 20 some odd years.  It's a far more coherent and enjoyable film to watch than the theatrical cut of Alien 3 and it's not even in the same dimension as Alien: Resurrection (which is, in my opinion, a pilot for Firefly masquerading as an Alien film).  And it's certainly far more enjoyable than the AvP films. 

It also has the side effect of making me view Prometheus in a fonder, albeit slightly more somber light.  Seeing the depths that David sinks to in Covenant makes his journey in Prometheus far more enjoyable than it already was in the first place.  I can't wait to watch it again now so I can see if I can detect hints of David's bipolar God Complex present in that film.  And of course, knowing that Shaw ultimately dies will make seeing her trials and suffering in Prometheus a more somber experience.  Like the Set Designer that Hicks interviewed a few months back said, I think Covenant will make Prometheus a far better (or at the very least, I'll find it more enjoyable) than it was a week ago when I watched it in my pre-Covenant hype-building marathon.

I was very very willing to give Covenant a chance. I was defending some of the creative decisions before I had even seen it, willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. But I was just not very engaged as I was watching it, but if you where then that's great.  :) But for me, the longer it meandered in David's shop of horrors, the more disengaged I got. And none of the action scenes stood out, in fact I was kind of shocked how "meh" they were coming from Ridley Scott ,especially the last 15 minutes.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote... and I'm still trying to decide whether David kissing Walter was homosexual or narcissistic...

That was also a moment my friend and I laughed at.

I think in the next movie, David should kiss everyone he kills before he does so.

Also, why did no one find it suspicious that David converted his hair to be exactly like Walter's immediately after they met him?

Engineer

Engineer

Yea I saw the switch coming a mile away...

And, btw, I didn't like blade runner either. I'm just into the noir type films. I respect it, just didn't like it all that much...

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 04:02:17 AM
Quote... and I'm still trying to decide whether David kissing Walter was homosexual or narcissistic...

That was also a moment my friend and I laughed at.

I think in the next movie, David should kiss everyone he kills before he does so.

Also, why did no one find it suspicious that David converted his hair to be exactly like Walter's immediately after they met him?

I didn't find it suspicious... I viewed it as David seeing an opportunity to replace Walter and escape the planet with the Covenant crew.  I'm willing to bet that if Orem hadn't blasted the Neomorph, David would have quietly disposed of Walter and the Covenant crew would have left with David masquerading as Walter and that would have been that.  I think Orem's actions triggered the biopolar switch in David that made him go from passive Prometheus-era David into Mad Scientist David and that's what led to the lab, eggs, and chestbursters.  We'll probably never know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that David's original plan was to get on board the Covenant with his facehugger embryo's and sabotage the crew once they were back in cryosleep (in essence, the entire 2nd half of the movie would not have happened).  Orem's actions likely led to David improvising due to wanting to get even with Orem for what he viewed was the wanton murder of the Neomorph.

EDIT:  And I didn't find David kissing Walter to be homoerotic.  I felt it was definitely narcissistic.

Engineer

Engineer

Oh and uh, I guess artificial people grow hair? Didn't know that! :-)

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 04:01:49 AM
Quote from: oberonqa on May 20, 2017, 03:32:20 AM

I was very very willing to give Covenant a chance. I was defending some of the creative decisions before I had even seen it, willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. But I was just not very engaged as I was watching it, but if you where then that's great.  :) But for me, the longer it meandered in David's shop of horrors, the more disengaged I got. And none of the action scenes stood out, in fact I was kind of shocked how "meh" they were coming from Ridley Scott ,especially the last 15 minutes.

It is impossible for me to believe that this was the same guy who just directed THE MARTIAN. That movie had so much energy and kept audiences maximally engaged.

Actually, upon really thinking about it, this was not really very good. Just so much confusion. Ridley got so cocky. "I could do this in my sleep!" He wasn't engaged, he didn't think he had to earn it seeing as how he made Alien. Even Prometheus had all of the flair of The Martian, but not this movie.

Seriously, what was with that f**king scene where they fix the solar panels for like 5 minutes? Who f**king cares?! I mean I like that shit but if you're going to rush the movie then transfer over those precious minutes towards sections that f**king count.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteI viewed it as David seeing an opportunity to replace Walter and escape the planet with the Covenant crew.

Yes, that's obvious. I mean the characters. Why did no one comment on the fact that he made himself look exactly like their synthetic? Wouldn't those characters have found it suspicious? Oh wait, they're poorly written so no.

I do have to say I was pleased with Danny McBride. I was VERY skeptical of his involvement.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed