Aliens: What if…

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 21, 2023, 03:08:24 AM

Author
Aliens: What if… (Read 13,885 times)

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

When I first saw solicitations for this series I thoughts: "Really, that's what we are doing now, what ifs?" But then I realized that it isn't really anything new for the franchise. We got adaptations of alternate screenplays, that basicly were what ifs scenarios, original Varhaiden's comics retroactivly became what ifs, and Blomkamp's concept for movie looked like one big what if. So I read first issue with clear mind and I enjoyed it. I like its attempt to make us empathise with Burke more and show his more human side. And I did sympathize with him a bit seeing how he was struggling with his boring life and job. But then we see glimpse of his old, scheming self. So yeah, I'm interested how it would continue.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2024, 05:20:02 AMI can already tell that the next what if is gonna be if Hicks and Newt survived. 

EDIT:

*hoping that somebody else didn't post that in this thread. 

Damnit you third page guys!
Havent they done the "Hicks and Newt" survived already about 4 times?

SM

SM

To be fair the first time they actually survived.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 29, 2023, 06:53:06 PMI'd like to see this story approach taken to other Alien films.

What if Jacob Branson was able to escape his cryotube?

What if Daniels and Tennessee sniffed out David before going into cryosleep?

What if Ripley 8 decided to throw in her lot with the Xenos?

Seriously, so many questions that should be asked...

I especially like the Ripley 8 idea.  * * * * *

VeteranSergeant

VeteranSergeant

This has been the best of the Marvel Alien comics so far by a significant margin.

This comic was... pretty mediocre. Some of it was entertaining.  Some of it is the pretty typical "What?" response to the poor writing teams at Marvel that have plagued the titles from the beginning of reboot with the story about the college kids who break into a high security orbital space station by... stealing a badge, then the company sends... three guys to investigate.

I have a fun idea for the next "What If?" Aliens title. What if they finally hire someone who can write a decent story?

Stitch

Stitch

I'm still waiting for issue 2...

SM

SM

Burke's quippy lines are better in issue 3.

Spoiler
But there's an awful lot of standing around and having a chat instead of looking for a deadly facehugger.
[close]

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm surprised you're still bothering.

Prez

Prez

Been reading (catching) up on this series and I will say personally, surprisingly too, it's the most enjoyable read in the Alien universe I've had since the DH days. I am enjoying the quirkiness, dark-humour nature of it. I think the fact it's not canon means I can let my guard down a bit and just enjoy it more.

Heck, they've made Burke somewhat likable - almost anti-hero.

SM

SM

Spoiler
That's kinda what shits me about it. He tried to murder people, then would've murdered more people to cover up murders, then locked those people in a room with the murder monsters. Instead of trying to atone for that, it's all 'I'm not the bad guy; it wasn't my fault'.

No. It was all your fault you f**k and I hope you die. Again.
[close]

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SM on Yesterday at 04:15:55 AM
Spoiler
That's kinda what shits me about it. He tried to murder people, then would've murdered more people to cover up murders, then locked those people in a room with the murder monsters. Instead of trying to atone for that, it's all 'I'm not the bad guy; it wasn't my fault'.

No. It was all your fault you f**k and I hope you die. Again.
[close]

Spoiler
But I think that's the part about it I like the most. Made Burke more human and not the moustached black and white villain.
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
My problem is that it's re-writing the film and the character, rather than using that as jumping off point to tell a story about what might have happened had he lived. He wasn't moustached and black and white in the film.  He saw an opportunity and took it. He tried the proper way - return the specimens to Company labs - then changed tack when Ripley threatened to expose him and he shat himself.
[close]

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SM on Yesterday at 11:25:40 AM
Spoiler
My problem is that it's re-writing the film and the character, rather than using that as jumping off point to tell a story about what might have happened had he lived. He wasn't moustached and black and white in the film.  He saw an opportunity and took it. He tried the proper way - return the specimens to Company labs - then changed tack when Ripley threatened to expose him and he shat himself.
[close]

Spoiler
That's the thing about Burke that's often misunderstood. He isn't necessarily evil, although I'm sure few of us would endorse his actions; rather, he is supremely loyal to Weyland-Yutani, and will do anything he can to benefit the Company.
[close]

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Spoiler
He is slimey for sure, but his more malevolent actions was born out of sheer desperation, just look at how much he is sweating when turning off the monitor to the med lab, a cold calculating and remorseless person would not be shaken. While he sent those wildcatters out there, he didn't know if it was there for sure. He is still responsible through negligence though.
[close]

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Yesterday at 01:47:18 PM
Spoiler
That's the thing about Burke that's often misunderstood. He isn't necessarily evil, although I'm sure few of us would endorse his actions; rather, he is supremely loyal to Weyland-Yutani, and will do anything he can to benefit the Company.
[close]
Spoiler
He's a greedy slimeball trying to make bank. All he cares about is getting a cut for his claim.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed