The Callisto Protocol

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 26, 2021, 06:18:40 PM

Author
The Callisto Protocol (Read 7,653 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Backtracking is used just because the devs ran out of time or money to create new environments. 

I also hate it in story. 

You know that area you were in that you just got to work again after you cleared out 300 enemies and restored functionality to it?  Well, better go back, there are now 600 enemies there and the lights are off.  And since we couldn't shutter it off from up here, now all the floors have human flesh growing on them.  Sorry, our bad.  We'll be up here so we can relay more fetchquest to you.   

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Absolute bullshit. It serves a significant narrative and thematic function in Dead Space around decay you bloody normie, going back to medical was f**king soul crushing, dread inducing, in the best way.

No MetroidVanias for you I guess.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

DS story was constant fetchquest for other people who didn't do anything except die.  It was very basic horror story telling.

DS strong points were kinesis/stasis/no-gravity arenas and a unique enemy type.  It wasn't story or characters. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You deserve one hundred Dislikes for that awful take.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

FOR BEING RIGHT? 

I'm not saying it is a bad game, but rampant infection that takes over crew has been done before.  You had different abilities as Isaac that you didn't have as a civilian or soldier in previous games.  That is what made it different.  That and an enemy you have to shoot the arms and legs off of so it can't kill you.

Everything else was standard horror fare.  System shock did that stuff way back in the 90s. 

The correct order of DS and DS like: DS2, DS1, DS3 and CP.  DS2 is head and shoulders better than the rest of them though. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It has a slight edge in gameplay terms just from simple refinement, but I think the Ishimura a far stronger character than the Sprawl, the original much scarier, case in point being The Hunter and Doctor Challus Mercer- that frankly neither Tiedemann or Danik hold a candle to.

Isaac, Stross, and Ellie are better characters than Kendra and Hammond though in terms of "friendlies" -but Doctor Kyne and Mercer and the logs you find onboard the Ishimura and that environmental storytelling I find so much stronger, and that sense of paranoia stronger.

And that's what grips me most in terms of survival horror storytelling, not that I can't appreciate a well told plot but... although I thought the Isaac and Nicole stuff in DS2 amazing and shocking as a teenager, nowadays I find it incredibly one note overall and I straight up prefer the original actress, the log was much better performed in the original one.

It has a Silent Hill 2 like quality to it, where you know something's amiss immediately, and when you find out what you are left wondering if anything was the way it really was or was that just Isaac's perception?

Whilst in DS2 and DS Remake, Tanya Clarke sounds mildly bummed that her car broke down, an extremely dull performance thus far.

And a more straightforward take on mental illness that's not as truthful, you don't just get to a cathartic point and get over it.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I suffer from 95% of horror games not being scary to me.  I give the OG DS a decent amount of props here because I felt uneasy for about an hour, which is actually a long time for me,...............then the scare factor washes off and it is just trying to survive till the next checkpoint without dying just so I don't have to repeat portions of the map again.   

I didn't jump at CP once.  It wasn't scary at all.  Alien Isolation which was supposed to be a master of horror was a nuisance of horror.  Again not scary.  I think the last game to make me feel any sort of unease was RE7, for the short amount of time you are in the basements.........that was ruined by ridiculous boss fights. 

I dunno.  I guess I like my horror games to have some sort of an action element because they just aren't scary to me. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 14, 2022, 12:19:49 AMDS story was constant fetchquest for other people who didn't do anything except die.  It was very basic horror story telling.

DS strong points were kinesis/stasis/no-gravity arenas and a unique enemy type.  It wasn't story or characters. 

It also had that f**king asteroid part. >:(

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 14, 2022, 11:35:27 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 14, 2022, 12:19:49 AMDS story was constant fetchquest for other people who didn't do anything except die.  It was very basic horror story telling.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Dec 15, 2022, 02:31:07 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 14, 2022, 11:35:27 PM

-Hammond be like

Stitch

Stitch

I finally started playing this and it feels so sluggish. I wondered if it was because I hadn't downloaded the patch, so I restarted after that has finished, and it's a little better, I guess.

Feels like playing through molasses. Maybe it's because I've been playing GoWR on performance, and I'm playing quality on this, because I've read that stuff like shadows and fidelity can tank in certain areas. Still, it's a bad first impression when even the cut scenes feel juddery on PS5.

First Blood

First Blood

I turned up the sensitivity looking around and aiming. That seemed to help a little. It the character didn't feel as sluggish.

Stitch

Stitch

I switched to performance mode. It might not be quite as pretty, but it doesn't feel horrible to play, and gets rid of all the smeary images when I turn the camera.

I also checked where I was in a guide, and it seems I'm nearly halfway through already, even though it feels like I'm still near the beginning. This is a really short game.

Stitch

Stitch

I'm near the end of the second last chapter right now (I think), and it's a bit of a weird one.

Started off kinda slow, and the frequent checkpoints made for very limited threat because you can just restart checkpoint and try again. After persisting for awhile, it got much better. Atmosphere was good, and a variation in the enemies led to decent encounters, where checkpoints were further apart, so more was at risk. Weapon upgrades also made combat more interesting than the basic dodge-dodge-swing.

The dodging I have no problem with, although the camera and its auto lock-on has caused me a few issues.

Again, it's a real mixed bag. The story is predictable but entertaining, and the graphics are really good (though performance mode is a must for it to be playable). There were just a few design choices that stopped this from being absolutely stellar, and instead makes it a rollercoaster of awesome and tedium.

I'm really hoping the ending is good, and the real one isn't locked behind the story dlc.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Just a heads up for anyone that's been sitting with 'The Callisto Protocol' in their obscenely long PS5 watchlist (like myself) waiting for the right time/sale, it's confirmed to be a free PS plus game this month! 😃

Also, at the moment the season pass is down to £11 in the sale, so it may be worth a pre-emptive purchase ahead of the game going free 😉

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed