Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,509 times)

Abe

Abe

Quote from: XenoVC on Jul 25, 2011, 10:18:37 PM

I've never seen the Ox version of the film and from looking at this picture it makes me see how little they showed the chestburster in the dog version of the film.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Here's a similar image with no compromise to quality.

m138jewski

m138jewski

its funny that the most convincing special effect didnt even make the final cut

SiL

SiL

I'm preeetty damn sure that shot was done especially for the Quadrilogy. Meaning a decade after the other effects were completed.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Aug 02, 2011, 11:02:54 AM
I'm preeetty damn sure that shot was done especially for the Quadrilogy. Meaning a decade after the other effects were completed.
You are correct, sir!

maddriver

maddriver

I remember first seeing the scene on DvD, so SiL is most probably right.

Divpax

Divpax

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Jul 30, 2011, 08:10:47 PM
Here's a similar image with no compromise to quality.

As much as I was never keen on CG, I would love if alien 3 got the George Lucas treatment with the effects. Anything to get rid of the green glow that bothers so many people.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: SiL on Aug 02, 2011, 11:02:54 AM
Well I remember hearing the only cgi in the movie was when the alien's head cracked before exploding at the end, so this must be right. Wish I had realized this sooner. The scene looks quite accurate to the movie for being made much later.

delsaber8

delsaber8

I always thought they used some CGI on the rod puppet.

harlock

harlock

That rod-puppet being inserted into the shots looked so bad it was like crap early 90s CG  ::)

They dont call it CG, but if you use a computer to alter the film graphically, even if the alien itself was a puppet inserted in, what is it?

Seriously, if they just kept it to a guy in a suit, it would have been a much better movie.

Divpax

Divpax

Quote from: harlock on Aug 02, 2011, 10:20:04 PM
That rod-puppet being inserted into the shots looked so bad it was like crap early 90s CG  ::)

They dont call it CG, but if you use a computer to alter the film graphically, even if the alien itself was a puppet inserted in, what is it?

Seriously, if they just kept it to a guy in a suit, it would have been a much better movie.
Rotoscoping I believe it is called.

And no, a guy and a suit would look even worse in alien 3, it worked in the first 2 films because you only got a few glimpse of them. Look what happened when they tried guys in suits in avpr, that looked like shit, and I mean it looked WAY worse than the glow in alien 3.

Sexy Poot

Sexy Poot

Yeah in AvP:R, it's like they didnt even try.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: harlock on Aug 02, 2011, 10:20:04 PM

It wasn't CG. I have the anthology and they go into alot of detail on how they did it. If I remember correctly, they had a miniature alien with sticks attached to it's legs and guys manipulating them to look like it's running. They chemically "burned" it into the film, and that's why it looks so bad.

Rotoscoping sounds right.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's not rotoscoping, that's more to do with turning live images into something more like artwork. See In A Scanner Darkly or the opening of Juno for examples. They called it mo-motion. It's in the A3 special features.

SiL

SiL

Only in animation. Rotoscoping also covers creating mattes for live-action visual effects. "Mo-motion" refers to the puppet itself, not the technique they used to composite it into the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed