Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,571 times)

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Definitely their advantage is at distance, but why would they be in deep sh*t if it comes to close combat. Aliens are undoubtedly more dangerous in melee combat, but it can be countervailed with battle experiance and the ability to comprehend the whole combat situation (assuming preds are not way too slower and weaker than aliens). Still aliens are more probable to win, but there's a chance (and not a slight one imo) that a predator can win.

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

Hard choice for me...I actually enjoyed both these movies in the Cinema.

Yes they have their faults, and yes they could have been alot more...but in the end I did enjoy them.

I liked the story for the first movie, I thought it was pretty clever, with the Pyramid being the training grounds for the Predators etc, it was too watered down maybe, but then I'm not really looking for the measurement of blood in a movie, it was entertaining and loved the action scenes in them, even if there were few. Just to see two of my favourite sc-fi/horror icons on the screen was good enough for me.

The second movie...I enjoyed just as much, my own major gripe with this movie was, it all moved to quickly, and the lack of money to make the movie kinda showed....if they were given the right budget, this movie would have been alot better, but 20th Century Fox has still obviously not learnt anything, and I think their just ignoring the fans full stop.
But yeah, enjoyed this one, some neat designs, cool action scenes, people complained the screen was soo dark that they couldn't see much...I actually liked this, me being me.

I had to choose the 2nd movie, as I feel it tired to give more, but it couldn't...and it was not the Directors fault I dont think...
The acting was actually better than I thought it would be too, with all the mostly unknown actors in it...

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Jan 27, 2010, 07:19:05 PM
Definitely their advantage is at distance, but why would they be in deep sh*t if it comes to close combat. Aliens are undoubtedly more dangerous in melee combat, but it can be countervailed with battle experiance and the ability to comprehend the whole combat situation (assuming preds are not way too slower and weaker than aliens). Still aliens are more probable to win, but there's a chance (and not a slight one imo) that a predator can win.

With how strong the alien is (which is arguably much stronger than the pred, given what is observed in the source material), and all the means of attack it has (claws, strike teeth, tail, acid spit and acid blood) the pred has a lot to worry about. Even if we assume and accept that the preds weapons and armor are acid proof (or resistant) they themselves are not. So even injuring the alien puts them at grave risk (taking into account that the alien's blood tends to shoot out rather violently).

Though preds that have a great deal of experience and have passed a "blooding ritual"  (where they moved into elite status by killing an alien, or w/e) could know some strategy for beating alien, they are still at a big disadvantage. They are at a big disadvantage up close.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Predators are a race of proud, technologically-advanced neo-barbarian hunters. This makes them effective warriors, to be sure.

Aliens are (probably) bioweapons constructed by a long-extinct race of Star Gods. Each and every sinew (if they indeed have sinews) is fine-tuned towards perfect killing efficiency.

If a Predator wants to win up close, they have to be masterfully quick and to have trained their efficiency to match the Alien. It's not as if it'd never happen, but the chances of any Predator but a highly-experienced one willing in a hand-to-hand fight are pretty slim. Although this only applies to each set of source material as observed in the movies. Obviously the AvP comics have something very different to say about this.

May they be forever cursed.

SM

SM

You can't kill an Alien without breaking the skin.  If an unarmed Predator managed to do this - his copping an acid bath, so the best he can hope for is a draw.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 27, 2010, 07:07:29 PM
Don't forget the alien he slices with the shuriken.

Which should've showered him with acid blood, but hey, what do I know...

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

With how strong the alien is (which is arguably much stronger than the pred, given what is observed in the source material), and all the means of attack it has (claws, strike teeth, tail, acid spit and acid blood) the pred has a lot to worry about. Even if we assume and accept that the preds weapons and armor are acid proof (or resistant) they themselves are not. So even injuring the alien puts them at grave risk (taking into account that the alien's blood tends to shoot out rather violently).

Though preds that have a great deal of experience and have passed a "blooding ritual"  (where they moved into elite status by killing an alien, or w/e) could know some strategy for beating alien, they are still at a big disadvantage. They are at a big disadvantage up close.

They are at disadvantage when it comes  to close combat, but that's something they count in. I agree, but I'm just saying that it's not like they are totally lost when they have go against an alien up close. I think I'm saying nearly the same as you and Alex, but it seems I can't express myself properly, sorry for that.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 28, 2010, 04:30:45 AM

Yeah, that stuff turns conveniently on and off like a tap.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 28, 2010, 09:42:21 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 28, 2010, 04:30:45 AM

Yeah, that stuff turns conveniently on and off like a tap.

I think that there's a difference...
The Alien have acid blood, sure. But I think that there is no proof that the blood will splatter all over the place from the wound from a sharp bladed weapon, however if you shoot it in the face with a shotgun or any other weapon useing bullets, then there will be splatter.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

The first time we ever see the acid blood it sprays out from a surgical cut.

MastaMarek

MastaMarek

who keeps voting for the first AVP? lol. I know, they both were pretty average, but the first one was a total disaster. AVPR at least tried to relate to fans. Also for the low budget they had, it looked miles better then the first movie. I would have thought that here people would appreciate AVPR more then the first crappy movie.

SiL

SiL

AvP looked like it actually had a budget, and at least tried to have some self-respect. It also at least pretended like it was trying to give a damn about the whole ordeal; AvPR unabashadly went in arms-flailing, embracing every obnoxious cliché it could, aimed squarely at teenagers and people who find heads exploding hilarious, with a mind-boggling disregard for the fanbase and staggering incompetence in its storytelling.

dachande89

dachande89

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 29, 2010, 01:03:38 AM

True. But there are supposed to be certain spots to limit acid splash. Aiming for the legs and head is supposed to create small acid splatter. But thats with carefully aimed shots. A pred disc slicing through that is messy and should have a big splatter.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: dachande89 on Jan 29, 2010, 03:41:15 AM
Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 29, 2010, 01:03:38 AM

True. But there are supposed to be certain spots to limit acid splash. Aiming for the legs and head is supposed to create small acid splatter. But thats with carefully aimed shots. A pred disc slicing through that is messy and should have a big splatter.

The legs maybe, the the heads explode like a pinata stuffed with cherry bombs. And not just any pinata... an acid pinata.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

You do not want to buy that pinata for a party. Trust me, it isn't near as fun as it sounds. :(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed