Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,603 times)

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 21, 2013, 02:13:10 AM
AVP has rewatch value, in my opinion. I'm actually kind of in the mood to see it again (its probably been a year and a half or so since I've watched it). Its not the greatest movie in the world and it falls short of most of the standalone A/P films but it is very rewatchable.

Indeed, I seems to me that you, me, and few others are the only ones that honestly like AVP for valid reasons.

But all I can really say on this subject is:

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2013, 10:25:24 AM
Meaning if you lack a mind - you'll dig it?

Hate to say it, but yes. AvP:R is very much mindless fun.

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

I like both about equally.

Predator Lord

Predator Lord

Avp was better in terms of setting. The underground pyramid was a pretty awesome concept. But AvP: R's setting was kinda eeehhh.... I didn't like the pool scene or the hospital scene. But the 'aliens in the sewer' concept was pretty awesome. I didn't care for the characters in either of the films. But my personal favorite has to be AvP: R. I loved its action scenes more that AvP and I liked the fact that there was only one predator, rather than a pack of them. Also, I saw it on Christmas day with my dad so it has some sentimental value for me too. :)

blood.

blood.

An alien fan made AVP
A pair of Predator fans made AVP R

Neither had much else going for them imo besides the creatures
tbh I've always thought that Predators > Soldiers (who are armed) > Aliens after all, Ripley was able to go in and out of the hive alone, and the aliens had a tough time getting the survivors after they cut the power... and also had trouble killing vasquez and drake when they were using their smartguns.

So naturally I was happier with AVP R but neither film "blew my socks off"

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Imo certain idea's from the first AVP where great, and executed well. The setting is what killed it for me as well as the "wanna be Ripley" feel i get from the female lead. In both AVP's all the human's are very, VERY forgettable.
AVP: R had 2 things going for it, the Pred-Alien and the "Elite Hunter", both weren't executed very well, the setting for this film was even worse than the first films.

AvP is the better of the two for sure though.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I think Anderson's heart was in the right place with his movie. On reflection, I really do mean that. I think he wanted to make a good movie but just couldn't pull it off. That said, I still believe that while AvP:R is the worse of the two, it's still more fun.

blood.

blood.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 12, 2013, 02:48:25 AM
I think he wanted to make a good movie but just couldn't pull it off.

That pretty much sums up Paul W.S. Anderson's movie making career.

SM

SM

No one sets out to make a shit movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Uwe Boll might disagree with you.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Quote from: SM on Mar 12, 2013, 05:00:49 AM
No one sets out to make a shit movie.
Have you seen an Asylum movie lately?

redxavier

redxavier

To be fair, AvPR does present what many fans thought they wanted from an alien movie, a setting on Earth where a town or community is under attack and the stakes are high. So I don't think it's necessarily the setting that dooms it. As has been said many times though, the execution was flawed.

I think AvP is arguably a more well put together film, but it had a greater budget and was done under a more relaxed schedule. I'm pretty convinced that had AvPR had the same budget and wasn't shot in a hurried fashion, it would have turned out just as good. AvP tends to fall over its own ideas. Case in point, it takes the 'human teams up with predator to escape/take on the aliens' idea from the comics, but neglects to earn it by providing a build-up or logic to it.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 12, 2013, 05:08:44 AM
Uwe Boll might disagree with you.

And his movies aren't even so bad that they end up being good, they're just terrible...Have you seen "Tunnel Rats"?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

God no. I can't be bothered.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed