Alien returning to theaters starting April 26th!

Started by MudButt, Apr 03, 2024, 04:02:00 PM

Author
Alien returning to theaters starting April 26th! (Read 5,248 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Always will prefer the Ox myself, like the image of Newt screaming trapped in the cryotube, it takes the thing into gratuitous territory for me honestly.

I do not see this new screening happening anywhere in the United Kingdom please correct me if otherwise.

Not overly upset though, saw Alien on the fortieth and Alien and Aliens as a double feature only last year.

BigDaddyJohn

I saw nothing on the big screen except for the prequels  :'(

Kradan

Kradan

I only saw Covenant and quite happy about it

On the topic of Ox vs Dog: I'm really torn here. On one hand Ox scene is part of Assembly Cut and I love everything about Assembly Cut. It also feels like more thought went into filming that scene as opposed to the Dog one which feels pretty hastily put together (which it probably was).

On the other hand, seeing Runner come out of a living dog feels more emotionally impactful than from a big cow's corpse. Also it seems more logical that something so ferocious as Runner would come out of a predatory creature rather than a relatively peaceful one

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2024, 03:28:13 PMI'm a little hazy now as to whether there will be a Romulus clip, or if this conversation between Ridley and Fede is what was being cited as a clip previously.

I would love to get a clip, of course, but I'd also be more than ok with it if it's just the conversation.

The Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace makes it sound like a clip from the actual film. We know two seperate clips were shown at CinemaCon 2024, so we know they have the material available and ready.

https://twitter.com/haydenorpheum/status/1776130087848734932

Cosmic Incubation

I believe I just have to see 3 and Resurrection to have seen them all for Alien.

Was lucky enough to finally catch a screening of Aliens on Halloween last year with attendance and an interview from Noah Howley.

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 17, 2024, 03:59:47 PMOn the topic of Ox vs Dog: I'm really torn here. On one hand Ox scene is part of Assembly Cut and I love everything about Assembly Cut. It also feels like more thought went into filming that scene as opposed to the Dog one which feels pretty hastily put together (which it probably was).

On the other hand, seeing Runner come out of a living dog feels more emotionally impactful than from a big cow's corpse. Also it seems more logical that something so ferocious as Runner would come out of a predatory creature rather than a relatively peaceful one

I agree, I like the assembly cut more all around, but much prefer the dog for impact.

There's a particular minor editing difference in the theatrical cut that I prefer.
In the ox version we get a shot of a digital looking bambi burster stumbling and running down the corrider.
In the dog version we get a simple shot of the camera pulling away from the dog's body, while only hearing the bambi scurry off.
It's simpler but I've definitely always found the dog version here to be more eerie and impactful, personally.

BlueMarsalis79

I missed a screening of AlienĀ³ Assembly Cut in Belfast last year as well, that one, I am actually pretty gutted about.

ASH1977

Mind you, Texas Chainsaw Massacre came out in 1974. It was pretty graphic for that time. Stars Wars comes out in 1977, which is the big space opera and popularized space again. So, Alien comes in 1979 which is everyone's space nightmare. For that time in film, it was original and well, graphic compared to today's standards when it comes to film making.

Ingwar

It's too bad that I'm working on 26th >:(

Cosmic Incubation

Not sure about other places, but the AMC that's showing it near me seems to have screenings listed for a good amount of days after as well. Up until May 1st from the looks of it.

So you may want to check and see if it's not just one day only!

SiL

Quote from: ASH1977 on Apr 17, 2024, 09:33:33 PMMind you, Texas Chainsaw Massacre came out in 1974. It was pretty graphic for that time.
It's actually not. There's almost no blood in the whole thing - it was more the tone that was extreme for the time.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2024, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: ASH1977 on Apr 17, 2024, 09:33:33 PMMind you, Texas Chainsaw Massacre came out in 1974. It was pretty graphic for that time.
It's actually not. There's almost no blood in the whole thing - it was more the tone that was extreme for the time.
I was going to say this, TCM was filmed for a PG rating (no, seriously). There's very little blood or on-screen violence, no sex or nudity, and no profanity.

Tobe Hooper just learned the hard way that showing less and implying things makes the movie 10x scarier and he earned himself an R-rating. see also: Jaws, where serendipitously the mechanical shark didn't work so Spielberg had to imply everything and it ended up making it more effective.

For that matter, see also: 'Alien', where Ridley Scott recognized that the Alien suit was a bit questionable if you saw it full on, so you don't get a good look at it until the end.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 17, 2024, 02:32:05 PMCovenant's Neomorph bursting scenes are pretty visceral and cruel, too.

The back-burster and the foolish Captain?

The film does have some really nasty moments in it - there's the tail whip that rips a character's jaw right off their face/head! And the shower deaths.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 18, 2024, 02:56:49 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2024, 09:52:51 PM
I was going to say this, TCM was filmed for a PG rating (no, seriously). There's very little blood or on-screen violence, no sex or nudity, and no profanity.

Tobe Hooper just learned the hard way that showing less and implying things makes the movie 10x scarier and he earned himself an R-rating. see also: Jaws, where serendipitously the mechanical shark didn't work so Spielberg had to imply everything and it ended up making it more effective.

For that matter, see also: 'Alien', where Ridley Scott recognized that the Alien suit was a bit questionable if you saw it full on, so you don't get a good look at it until the end.

Quint's death was more graphic than anything seen in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974).

SiL

And they only got away with it by successfully arguing that since the violence was perpetrated by a shark, it's not like kids could go out and copy it.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Apr 18, 2024, 05:01:30 AMAnd they only got away with it by successfully arguing that since the violence was perpetrated by a shark, it's not like kids could go out and copy it.

Yes.

Although, Spielberg, still had to shave (more than) a few frames off the severed-leg footage (estuary attack). Probably for the best, as the leg does look phoney.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Apr 18, 2024, 05:01:30 AMAnd they only got away with it by successfully arguing that since the violence was perpetrated by a shark, it's not like kids could go out and copy it.

But Billie and Willie could throw their friend Charlie in the ocean !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed