Alien: Isolation Officially Announced - Trailer & Preview Thread

Started by ikarop, Jan 07, 2014, 05:22:31 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation Officially Announced - Trailer & Preview Thread (Read 99,467 times)

Le Celticant

I agree with you, or show a very slow death (that ain't that brutal ala AVP2010) which could give (randomly rather than QTE and very very rare) a possibility to escapes.
That way you would have a so huge amount of adrenaline knowing you must run as fast as possible since the thing is one inch behind you and looking back at it would sign your death.

But fade to black with sound or just with images popping up while you ear things would be much better than a stupid growling animation.

FiorinaFury161

Can't wait for this, looks great! (esp. compared to Colonial Marines)

Never say no to Panda!

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 09, 2014, 05:41:59 PM
(esp. compared to Colonial Marines)

Well, that's not hard...even my last venereal disease looked better than that :D

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Jan 09, 2014, 05:48:46 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 09, 2014, 05:41:59 PM
(esp. compared to Colonial Marines)

Well, that's not hard...even my last venereal disease looked better than that :D
:laugh:

ikarop

Aspie

SpaceMarines

Quote from: ikarop on Jan 09, 2014, 08:01:34 PM
Someone pieced this together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Iha-5qR28#ws

Shit, man, my heart was racin' just watching that.

Love the art direction I've seen so far. Everything looks very Ron Cobb and Alien, but with a few bits of Aliens thrown in. Particularly like that the motion tracker looks like an intermediary between what was in the first film and in the second.

szkoki

CAS doesnt have an official twitter or facebook page? we should tell them the growling Alien takes away from the tension

MrSpaceJockey

You could always sign up on the official Alien: Isolation website's forum.  I just did and there's already a lot of activity.  Hell, someone might've already brought it up.

SpaceMarines

We're still a ways from release. Things will be changed. Maybe the growling was just placeholder.

If not, it's a small thing overall.

KiramidHead

This looks promising so far. I just hope isn't quite as unforgiving as it looks. A lot of old horror games fell into the trap of confusing frustration with fear. That sort of thing really bugs me (ba-dum, tish). Otherwise, I love the atmosphere and design work, and the concept is killer. It boggles the mind that this wasn't thought of sooner.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 09, 2014, 09:37:02 PM
We're still a ways from release. Things will be changed. Maybe the growling was just placeholder.

Yeah, I honestly didn't even notice the growling. The atmosphere is that good.

MrSpaceJockey

I just read in an article that the alien will have different "growls" depending on whether or not it's detecting you, lost your scent, etc...and that the player will learn to recognize these by the end and use it to their advantage. 

Hopefully it will not be too obvious, and it could still be creepy if they use noises like that weird jittering (?) noise that plays every time the alien showed up in the original film (and it wasn't used in any of the sequels).

Nightlord

Quote from: szkoki on Jan 09, 2014, 09:26:43 PM
CAS doesnt have an official twitter or facebook page? we should tell them the growling Alien takes away from the tension
They do.

I personally don't think there's any problem with using growls from other sources, just using Alien wouldn't give much variety. I'm fairly certain I heard the screech from when Dallas sees the alien in the vents too, that'll be terrifying in-game.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 09, 2014, 09:37:02 PM

No, no it isn't.

When the the star of the show has literal place holder stings from avp2010 and the incorrect pairing of two of the original sounds mixed incorrectly and atonally, it is annoying.

When the developer in question has literal access to RAW analogs of the six signature sounds in 8 channel stereo, and does not use them, it is annoying.

When the cartoonish sound cues become shorthand for "do rote actions and win", it is not enabling telegraphy, it is assuming the player is an idiot, especially the light of games like Dark Souls and Revengeance that clearly show that visual body language cues are more than enough for players to learn, and additionally cause furtherance of gameplay immersion and play-space deepening by forcing the player to risk visual contact with the Alien in order to get a bearing on counter-stalking instead simply cheating by listening for the ruh-roh raggy space dog barks.

Someday, some day far in the future SEGA and its compatriots will learn not to treat its customers like they are slack jawed idiots. Some day SEGA will understand replay value for licensed products is gleaned from immersion and verisimilitude and indelibly burned sense-memory.

"Do we have the Giger modeling?"

"Yup, even made the dome double sided unculled polies with extra refractive materials with its own shader that uses 55% of the gpu's bandwidth so you can see the skull 24/7 even if you turn your brightness all the way down, even though it's only seen in the movie for three frames."

"Got the Cobb ships?"

"yup, went out and spent all of SEGA's milestone on aircraft parts and surplus hospital generators so we can put a bunch of stuff by each of the level designers desks."

"Got the Foss shuttles?"

"Yup, spent the monthly bonus getting Foss to Foss up all the shuttles and motion tracker himself."

"Got Alien sounds?"

"Well we had the analog masters, but I had a flash of genius and  got my dog to bark at a picture of  a cat for two hours, I just dropped it two octaves and added some flange and threw in the AvP2010 space doberman noises on the rear channel stream, it'll be fine."

"Brilliant, send it to cert."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed