Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 153,312 times)

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Jun 17, 2012, 07:53:09 PM
(...)

Sequel surely in development?

Unofficially :D

Jon Spaihts can begin to look for his notes :)

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

OMG Prom just beat AVP for worldwide totals!
Noooooooooo!!!  :laugh:

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Cybercat on Jun 17, 2012, 04:58:25 PM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 17, 2012, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 17, 2012, 12:29:06 PM
It looks like Prometheus is on track for about 150 to 175 million which is absolutely great! Easily it's the most profitable film in the series and combined with global earnings were looking at 300 to 400 million without a thought. Prometheus 2 HERE WE COME!

It's not. It probably won't even be as profitable as AvP, at least theatrically. The studio gets about 60% of the domestic revenue and 40% of what it earns overseas. The production budget has been pegged at $130million, add another 50, 60 for marketing and the film will be lucky to break even after all is said and done. It'll make 120/130million in the US and I suspect a further 150, maybe more, overseas.

In terms of profitability it won't be the most successful in the series, but it will be in sheer figures.

These can't be accurate percentages.  If that was the case, studios wouldn't even bother making movies.

There more than less accurate percentages, I was a member of the box office mojo forums for 8 years before they were pulled I like talking figures. You have to take into account DVD sales and sales to tv networks and merch, films have lifespans after theatre runs

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 17, 2012, 11:05:07 PM

It'll also have it (and Alien 3) beat for domestic adjusted by the end of next weekend to rank 3rd in the franchise. But I think that's about as far as it'll be going.

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 17, 2012, 11:05:07 PM

Yes, Order has been restored in the Alien Universe, lol.  What's crazy is worldwide un-adjusted, "Alien" is the lowest grossing, even under "AVP: R", now that's scary.  Also "A:R" out grossed all the previous Alien films Worldwide.  "Prometheus" has brought balance to the force, lol.

Cybercat

Cybercat

This was updated from wikipedia today:

Budget    $120–130 million[3]
Box office    $217.5 million[4]

Face Jockey

Face Jockey

If Prometheus only ended up breaking even on its budget and advertising costs, (or even losing a little) it still would be very profitable for Fox as a whole and could still warrant a sequel. As it is, it looks like they will make a decent profit on the film.

There's more to a franchise than just box office take. A film can break even on pure box office numbers but still be a financial success when taking into account product licensing, television licensing, Blu-Ray/DVD sales and video game licensing and the long term valuation of the brand. The existence of a new entry in the franchise rekindles an interest in existing franchise properties, such as the value of the existing back catalog of Alien films.

Hopefully Scott gets to make his sequel(s), but even if he didn't, the Alien franchise would still be the basis for films, television and gaming for decades to come and the very existence of Prometheus helps advertise and elevate the long term value of the franchise/brand.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Keep Spaihts, jettison Lindelof. He can't write dialogue for shit.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The Alien series never seem to make much as money compare to other movies based on popular franchises like Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Godzilla, and several others. Seeing that the movie is not even out in other parts of the world then I hope the movie can finally reach past 300 million. It could thanks to IMAX and 3D ticket sales.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

It's doing well. Cinemascore shows that audiences generally like it; monetarilly it's made quite a bit for a big budgetted R rated film. Not adjusted for inflation, it has the biggest take of any Alien movie, no?
Not to mention it's second only two a film that's part of a highly lucrative children's franchise, and it's well ahead of other new openings that seemed like they would do a lot better (ie Rock of Ages.) Next week it'll be up against Brave. Nobody should expect Brave to fail- it has a wide appeal and is highly anticipated. So Prometheus falling more makes sense. In other words, Prometheus is doing as well as can be expected, given the timing. That's gotta be good for greenlighting a sequel.

Unless I'm all wrong.

Gazz

Gazz

Prometheus is top of the UK charts for a 3rd week running with more than $30 million (which is $2 million more than MiB3 has made despite that face Will Smith's film was released a week before). It's the 4th film this year to hold the top spot at the UK BO for 3 consecutive weeks though it's unlikely to make the 4th. It has also made $7 million more than Ridley Scott's last film, Robin Hood, did in it's entire lifetime in the same market (that film went on to make $216 on the foreign market).

Despite box office figures taking a hit on Friday as a result of the England-Sweden match, Prometheus notched a third consecutive week at number one in the UK following a $2.97m (£1.9m) haul.

Fox's sci-fi is the fourth film this year to go three weeks at the top of the UK box office. No film has yet recorded four straight weeks at the UK's summit this year and Prometheus will have to hold off competition from Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and The Five-Year Engagement if it hopes to do so.

Ridley Scott's return to the sci-fi genre has garnered $30m (£19.2m) to date, the 14th best performance of the last 52 weeks at the UK box office and the fifth best of the year so far.

SOURCE: http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/rock-of-ages-is-off-key-as-prometheus-makes-it-three-weeks-at-summit-of-uk-box-office/5043409.article?blocktitle=Box-office&contentID=610

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Personally, i don't think Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is going to play well overseas. Actually, i'm skeptical it'll catch on stateside. I originally had interest in it, but the ads, or really the only ad, doesn't do anything to inspire me to see it.

Also, the official weekend tally was $20.7 million, up form the estimated $20.2 million. It's total now sits at $89.3 million. It just needs to keep on keepin' on and it'll do alright.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, I'm not seeing Abraham Lincoln running away with anything myself.

Putting aside the poor guy who made Night Watch's American track record thus far, it's such a bizarre semi-gag concept that I really don't think it'll do better than middling.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 18, 2012, 02:55:38 AM
Keep Spaihts, jettison Lindelof. He can't write dialogue for shit.

He did expand on David's character though.. and for that.. i'm very grateful :laugh:

Gazz

Gazz

Another strong Sunday hold.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed