No more topics sexualizing individuals

Started by EJA, Nov 11, 2017, 05:57:32 PM

Author
No more topics sexualizing individuals (Read 8,104 times)

Sabby

Quote from: Chronicle on Nov 23, 2017, 05:08:49 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 21, 2017, 10:43:24 PM
No. Not war. Just a fad that will eventually fade into obscurity cometh the next disaster.

I don't believe it's just a passing thing. Especially with the consistent new revelations of sexual inappropriateness of different actors in Hollywood. It only seems to be getting worse.

Honestly, the whole Listen and Believe mentality worries me. I'm pretty sure that majority of this inquisition is legitimate, and a long time coming, but I do worry that people will start to abuse the readiness to believe these kinds of accusations. Seems like exactly the kind of scummy tactics that Hollywood could resettle into after it's old scummy tactics are routed out.

Scorpio

There have been women who have made false accusations, yes.  They can be caught out, though.

The power of social media nowadays.  You can be named and shamed for life.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 23, 2017, 10:27:20 PM
There have been women who have made false accusations, yes.  They can be caught out, though.

The power of social media nowadays.  You can be named and shamed for life.

Yeah, that's the problem. No one should be able to toss an accusation out to social media and watch the dominos fall, even if it's just "You're lying", and especially when it comes to claims that already have the potential to destroy someone's life. Social media is not where these things should play out. You're right that a false accuser can be found out as well, but I'd say the deck is stacked in their favour, at least when it comes to the public (not even going to open the worm can that is the legal system and whatever bias may exist there). Now, I know that the percentage of accusations that turn out to be false is quite low, but when the success rate rises and the repercussions shrink, then doesn't it follow the frequency will increase?

Maybe I'm completely off in that, I'm just worried that rape accusations will turn into social leverage. That's bad for everyone.

Scorpio

Is it a big problem, though?

Because such accusations would lack credibility.

Particularly if multiple people come forward.  Removes much doubt.

Sabby

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 24, 2017, 01:48:22 AM

As I said, not yet.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 24, 2017, 01:49:27 AM

As I said, not yet.

You don't think the Sexual improprieties are a problem yet in Hollywood?

Sabby

Quote from: Chronicle on Nov 24, 2017, 02:53:12 AM

As I said, not yet.

I assumed Scorpion was referring to false accusations when he asked if it was a big problem. My answer was towards that. If he meant the current sexual harassment accusations, then I addressed that here.

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 23, 2017, 07:07:25 PMI'm pretty sure that majority of this inquisition is legitimate, and a long time coming-

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 24, 2017, 03:00:47 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on Nov 24, 2017, 02:53:12 AM

As I said, not yet.

I assumed Scorpion was referring to false accusations when he asked if it was a big problem. My answer was towards that. If he meant the current sexual harassment accusations, then I addressed that here.

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 23, 2017, 07:07:25 PMI'm pretty sure that majority of this inquisition is legitimate, and a long time coming-

Ok good  :)

Scorpio

As I said, not yet.

I've only heard of this happening once.  The girl was charged.

I'm sure it has happened more times, but the question is why would the girl or guy make false accusations?

Sabby

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 24, 2017, 06:49:40 AM

As I said, not yet.

I've only heard of this happening once.  The girl was charged.

I'm sure it has happened more times, but the question is why would the girl or guy make false accusations?

It's the ability to offhandedly destroy a career by appealing to the publics desire for justice. That has to be pretty appealing to a certain type of person. And considering we're talking about Hollywood, I don't think it's hard to imagine a scenario where rape accusations are used to further your career or tear down others.

whiterabbit

You guys have to remember that no creditable news agency ever runs a story accusing someone of a serious crime or ethical issue without first fact checking, seeking evidence, interviewing credible sources and then double checking the facts again. So when the shit hits the nightly news; it's usually fairly correct accusations. Now that stuff on twitter that's open to anyone... yea it's a lost cause. I don't consider it nor any social media in general credible.

Sabby

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 24, 2017, 11:27:22 AM
You guys have to remember that no creditable news agency ever runs a story accusing someone of a serious crime or ethical issue without first fact checking, seeking evidence, interviewing credible sources and then double checking the facts again. So when the shit hits the nightly news; it's usually fairly correct accusations. Now that stuff on twitter that's open to anyone... yea it's a lost cause. I don't consider it nor any social media in general credible.

You have a much higher opinion of the state of journalism than I.

razeak

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 24, 2017, 07:08:16 PM

Agreed. Just some light investigation reveals that double checking or validating sources is not really a priority for many journalists. It's about the headline.

Sabby

Quote from: razeak on Nov 25, 2017, 05:09:15 AM
Quote from: Sabby on Nov 24, 2017, 07:08:16 PM

Agreed. Just some light investigation reveals that double checking or validating sources is not really a priority for many journalists. It's about the headline.

Didn't the producer of CNN get caught saying as much on a hidden cam? Called journalistic ethics 'adorable', if I recall correctly.

Olde

This immediately sprang to mind. Although I'm sure there are other instances, and sure, it may not qualify as your definition of "credible news agency," but that article was very powerful when it came out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed