Alien continuity gone wrong?

Started by mastermoon, Feb 29, 2012, 03:56:05 AM

Author
Alien continuity gone wrong? (Read 21,214 times)

Nero the Jackal

QuoteI don't know, why would I? I understand that there's a correlation between what films I've listed above and who made them, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Having the same director doesn't automatically mean it's in the same universe anymore than having the same actors does.

The ties have to be much much stronger than that.

Then why did you originally assume that Terminator and Avatar took place in the same universe as aliens? aside from the non-canon cross-over comic with terminators this is no evidence of their existence. Having the same directors means squat, they are not part of the same universe. Avatar is in the Avatar universe and Terminator is in the Terminator universe. Cameron had no intentions of having it set in the same universe as alien, so you shouldn't have felt it would be originally especially since Michael Biehn was turned down to avoid reminding people of aliens.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Feb 29, 2012, 05:54:53 PM
QuoteI don't know, why would I? I understand that there's a correlation between what films I've listed above and who made them, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Having the same director doesn't automatically mean it's in the same universe anymore than having the same actors does.

The ties have to be much much stronger than that.

Then why did you originally assume that Terminator and Avatar took place in the same universe as aliens? aside from the non-canon cross-over comic with terminators this is no evidence of their existence. Having the same directors means squat, they are not part of the same universe. Avatar is in the Avatar universe and Terminator is in the Terminator universe. Cameron had no intentions of having it set in the same universe as alien, so you shouldn't have felt it would be originally especially since Michael Biehn was turned down to avoid reminding people of aliens.

As far as Avatar is concerned, I had read articles that lead me to believe that perhaps at one point, years ago, there was some consideration put into having the film be subtly set in the same universe. I have no idea how reliable the information is, but I have read that at one point while considering Biehn they toyed around with the idea of having the character be an older Hicks, set after the events of Aliens. It has clearly moved beyond that point, if it was ever there in the first place, and Avatar is now its own separate thing.

In regards to the Terminator Franchise, at the time I was talking about it was Alien, Aliens, and Terminator 1 & 2. Both T1 & T2 have some nods to Aliens, and well as Aliens having some nods to Terminator in the original scripts, arguably in the final film depending on how you interpret the Hyperdyne line. I will admit the fact the Cameron made 3 of the films certainly helped, in that it helped make connections seem more 'legitimate', for what it's worth. For me at least, there was enough there to see a clear line of progression from the bulky Terminator to the Synthetics like Ash. Subsequent releases in the Terminator franchise, however, have made it nigh-impossible to reconcile the Terminator franchise with the larger Alien & Predator franchises. I no longer consider them to be set in the same fictional world.

SM

SM

I woulda thought a world that was destroyed by a machine instigated apocalypse, would be a little hestitant to rely so heavily on artificial intelligence for interstellar space travel.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Yeah, but back when it was just T1 & T2, no 3 & 4, no television show, the world wasn't ravaged by machines. Sarah stopped them. My reasoning was just that Hyperdyne was Cyberdyne rebuilt, and that they had continued their robotics building well into the future.

Company Man

Company Man

I don't get where some of the anger in this thread is coming from. No one here is jumping up and down, claiming that this universe is tied to that universe, etc. All I said was that I thought in some instances it could be tied together, but more like a "what if?" wink than actually canon material.

And besides, who cares if someone wants to tie things together in their head? Let 'em do it. It doesn't make it true just because a fan likes to daydream. We can all be fans without treating this stuff so seriously.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Whoa whoa whoa, it's actually mandatory that all fans take this stuff VERY SERIOUSLY. It's part of the unspoken social contract that you enter when you become a fan.

SM

SM

I dunno about VERY, but yeah if you're at the point of yabbering on about this stuff on internet forums, there's a good chance you take it seriously.

Problems can emerge if in fact you do take it VERY seriously...

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Company Man on Mar 01, 2012, 02:19:46 AM
I don't get where some of the anger in this thread is coming from. No one here is jumping up and down, claiming that this universe is tied to that universe, etc. All I said was that I thought in some instances it could be tied together, but more like a "what if?" wink than actually canon material.

And besides, who cares if someone wants to tie things together in their head? Let 'em do it. It doesn't make it true just because a fan likes to daydream. We can all be fans without treating this stuff so seriously.

I love your idealism. And if you think we're being super serious now, don't ever participate in a "Vs the Thing" topic. :P

SM

SM

Case in point.  ;D

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Company Man on Mar 01, 2012, 02:19:46 AM

No one is getting angry about it....i think, a person's opinions on the matter are fine and they are entitled to them as is everyone but when they try to say its a possible fact, you need solid evidence for that. So yeah, people can keep thinking it but its not something open to interpretation because of the evidence against it, I agree with the person who said about the VS the thing thread, a member there is taking it way too seriously and veiwing it as a threat to what he is a fan of and is continuously biased :laugh:

So if you think everyone here is angry, look in that thread and you will see anger, frustration and a lot swearing etc. the fans do take stuff like this seriously but most here are at least level headed enough to be non-biased, the other fan in the vs thing thread cannot even acknowledge another person's viewpoints or opinions and so others are getting frustrated with him.

Point is, this thread is not even close to being full of anger.  :)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 05:25:46 AM
I dunno about VERY, but yeah if you're at the point of yabbering on about this stuff on internet forums, there's a good chance you take it seriously.

Well my post was pretty much entirely joking. :P

I mean there's taking it seriously in that you like talking about it on the internet, and there's taking it seriously in the "ARGGGGH THIS DEBATE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS WHY WON'T YOU AGREE WITH ME MY VERY EXISTENCE HINGES ON MAKING PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET AGREE WITH MY OPINIONS ABOUT A MOVIE FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" sense.

predxeno

predxeno

I get that some people like to think that all these franchises are related, but there really is no concrete evidence that they are.  The Terminator franchise is the closest to AVP cause of the AvPvT comic book, but that's pretty much it.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

If the comic had been as epic as that cover there, we'd probably have seen a lot more AvPvT crossovers. :P

SM

SM

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 01, 2012, 06:14:02 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 05:25:46 AM

Well my post was pretty much entirely joking. :P

I mean there's taking it seriously in that you like talking about it on the internet, and there's taking it seriously in the "ARGGGGH THIS DEBATE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS WHY WON'T YOU AGREE WITH ME MY VERY EXISTENCE HINGES ON MAKING PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET AGREE WITH MY OPINIONS ABOUT A MOVIE FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" sense.

I'm sure I don't know who you're talking about there...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You might know a thing or two...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed