Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 964,370 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: WinterActual on Sep 09, 2013, 04:59:51 AM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 09, 2013, 04:54:07 AM
I finished it in about five and a half hours.
This can be said for 90% of the nowadays games.
True. The best games aren't usually that short though.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Portal 2 was the perfect length for the story it told, I found. Not everything needs to be a 30+ hour epic.

And it took me around 10 hours, I believe. And I still gotta do the co-op.

SM

SM

Have to look out for 2 on Steam.

And speaking of that, being a Steam noob and 4 years behind everyone else - how much does it suck having a game disk only for it to force you to download several GB of game?  Ditto Origin.

Looked up how to install shit off disks - nothing worked.  Threw my hands in the air and just let the f**king thing download...

Vertigo

Vertigo

It's been four years since I last bought a PC game on disc. Assuming you're not on dial-up internet, you'll get used to it...
On the plus side, with the Steam copy registered, you'll always have access to your copy of the game. Don't need to worry about scratched or lost discs, and you'll never need a disc in the drive to play the game. Plus automatic patching, friends list, Steam workshop, etc.

Portal 1 was actually purchasable separately via Steam, and I somewhat foolishly did that. I ended up buying all three games separately, at increased cost. Not my finest moment...
But yeah, Portal 2 is the real deal. The puzzles are less challenging, but it's vastly funnier and packed with great world-building. My last playthrough was 6.3 hours, but the first time was a great deal longer - some puzzle solutions rely on spotting obscured elements in distant corners of the map, so I spent ages just trying to figure out the next step the first time around.

Anyway, just been playing Civ 5, with the Communitas overhaul mod and Wars Of Religion, along with my regular tweak suite. Played as Venice, on Prince difficulty.

...Was wiped out by 600 BC. I focused entirely on Wonders, to the exclusion of any military or economy whatsoever (aside from two Workers), and of course technology is always a problem for one-city Venice. Unfortunately hyper-belligerent Japan and neighbour Poland decided they wanted my juicy Stonehenge and Temple of Artemis, and flooded every visible hex with red and white bastards. Got religion at the last minute to give a 40% combat bonus to my sole Warrior and a last-minute Spearman purchase, but I only managed to take out one unit before my virtually effortless annihilation. Sigh.

One thing I do hate about Civ 5's AI is that they ONLY pick fights with weaker neighbours. Once you gain an advantage, nobody will ever try anything with you, but if you're doing badly then you'll quickly get into deep trouble. Back in Civ 3, it was basically open-season on anybody a leader didn't like, and if they were more powerful then they'd team up with other nations to bring them down. Dominant powers would often brook more aggression, and it meant the balance of power was always shifting. In Civ 5, once someone starts running away with the lead, they'll inevitably win unless a human player intercedes.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2013, 06:16:28 AM
Have to look out for 2 on Steam.

And speaking of that, being a Steam noob and 4 years behind everyone else - how much does it suck having a game disk only for it to force you to download several GB of game?  Ditto Origin.

Looked up how to install shit off disks - nothing worked.  Threw my hands in the air and just let the f**king thing download...

I don't mind downloading it all. It's more convenient than using discs.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I was besties with Steam until it's latest update. Now most of my games lag like crap.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 09, 2013, 04:13:36 PM
I was besties with Steam until it's latest update. Now most of my games lag like crap.
Which games? I haven't been having any problems.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 09, 2013, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 09, 2013, 04:13:36 PM
Which games? I haven't been having any problems.

Pretty much everything made with the source engine. They all ran smoothly until the update that was supposed to make things run "ore efficiently." It could just be that the update doesn't get along with my computer, though.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Strange. That's all I've been playing and I haven't encountered anything.  :-\

SM

SM

QuoteIt's been four years since I last bought a PC game on disc. Assuming you're not on dial-up internet, you'll get used to it...

That's not really the point.  I don't mind downloading stuff and appreciate it'll take a couple of hours to download a large file.  And the price and convenience is fantastic ($5 was all I was willing to spend on A:CM). But taking several hours to download Half Life 2 or Crysis 2 when it could've been done in minutes off the disk is completely f**ktarded.

Tried installing Portal of the disk, it said it installed 480MB in a few seconds, then you go into Steam and click Play and it has to download 2.3GB more.

There just needs to be a simple way of doing it off the disk.

Space Invader

Space Invader

Finished Resident Evil Revelations, loved it more than 6.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

mASS effect minecraft, what the hell is this f*ckery?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2013, 11:40:42 PM
QuoteIt's been four years since I last bought a PC game on disc. Assuming you're not on dial-up internet, you'll get used to it...

That's not really the point.  I don't mind downloading stuff and appreciate it'll take a couple of hours to download a large file.  And the price and convenience is fantastic ($5 was all I was willing to spend on A:CM). But taking several hours to download Half Life 2 or Crysis 2 when it could've been done in minutes off the disk is completely f**ktarded.

Tried installing Portal of the disk, it said it installed 480MB in a few seconds, then you go into Steam and click Play and it has to download 2.3GB more.

There just needs to be a simple way of doing it off the disk.

What do you mean by a simple way of doing it off the disk? I haven't installed a disc-based game in over a year so I don't remember how long it took to install (though I recall Battlefield 3 taking quite a while).

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Predator Queen on Sep 10, 2013, 08:03:40 AM
mASS effect minecraft, what the hell is this f*ckery?

The good kind?

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Darkstalkers: Resurrection

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed