Author
Just Talk. (Read 610,974 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

:laugh:

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 09, 2022, 08:48:27 PM
Wait until you find out what almost a decade on AVP Galaxy will do to your mind:

Kradan

Kradan

Hey ! I'm not wearing a tie like that ! Who do you think I am, a bum ?  >:(

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

So uh Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think that's the next thing I'm gonna try out, hopefully this weekend.

People can correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it so far NGE is the original story, Death and Rebirth is an alternate ending, End of Evangelion is supposed to add more context to the end and I'm getting confused, and the 4 part film series Rebuild of Evangelion is a retelling of the same story?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I'm having a very bad day.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Give me The Expanse spoilers without giving me Expanse spoilers:

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I'm really starting to think it's better to just buy from "the source" as opposed to Amazon.

Example, by ordering Girls und Panzer Das Finale Part 1 and 2 from Sentai instead of Amazon I saved $27 with taxes and shipping included.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Not buying from Amazon is inherently better on principle even without a saving. I've only made one purchase through them ever and it was because there was no other way to get Orchidal's book in NZ.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I've felt in more recent years that war films generally tend to be boring.

It's not that I've lost interest in military history, if anything my interest died down for a long time after 2010-11 due to personal issues but it was years back due to Girls und Panzer of all things that a sort of "renaissance" occurred when my interest was practically reborn, reading and watching videos about not only about WW2 but even getting into new, different and less known stuff for me like the German and Italian wars for unification, the Napoleonic Wars, the 7 Years War, the 30 Years War, the Hasburg-Ottoman Wars and the Battle of Morgarten, and following the stories of the Swedish Empire, Ottoman Empire, Mongol Empire, Byzantine Empire and Kiev Rus as well as famous warriors like the Swiss pikemen, Polish Winged Hussars, the Viking Age Norse and Varangian Guards (dat Harald Hardrada), and the Japanese Onna-Musha (female warriors who fought alongside the Samurai)... you get the idea.

But that's just the thing, I now really prefer reading or watching videos about it while I don't enjoy war movies as much anymore because the story will be the first priority and the actual history less so. Not that I don't enjoy some good stories or entertainment but I've just been looking elsewhere for that, anime stuff being a big example in the past several years actually because it's so different from what I'm used to in the past that it's actually refreshing.

I know it might seems like weird reasoning to others, but that just how I feel these days. Whenever I saw the trailer for Fury or Dunkirk or 1917 or Midway I've just been saying "pass, pass, pass, pass", why watch those when you can watch The Lord of the Rings or Alien or Star Wars, and if I want to enjoy my military history hobby I'll read or watch videos about it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 15, 2022, 03:32:47 AM
Not buying from Amazon is inherently better on principle even without a saving. I've only made one purchase through them ever and it was because there was no other way to get Orchidal's book in NZ.

I try to buy from in-store full stop. Though, to be fair, that's more around hobby shops.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 17, 2022, 08:59:27 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 15, 2022, 03:32:47 AM

I try to buy from in-store full stop. Though, to be fair, that's more around hobby shops.

Unfortunately that is a rare option for me as I live where what some might consider to be "the ass end of nowhere".

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 16, 2022, 08:15:23 PM
the 7 Years War, the 30 Years War

How about the 100 Years War?

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 17, 2022, 03:56:31 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 16, 2022, 08:15:23 PM
the 7 Years War, the 30 Years War

How about the 100 Years War?

That too.

And the 80 Years War.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

You should give Bernard Cornwell's, Harlequin (US: The Archer's Tale), Vagabond,  Heretic, 1356 and Azincourt (US: Agincourt) novels a read. While the stories themselves are not really that great, the exquisitely researched historical battles are absolutely incredible. In fact, the story is just an excuse to write about the battles really, which will leave you reeling and shell-shocked.

Cornwell is also well known for his Napoleonic Wars novels.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed