Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating)

Started by JaaayDee, May 28, 2012, 02:22:15 PM

Author
Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating) (Read 205,800 times)

mastermoon

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 28, 2012, 02:59:55 PM
No, we know it already without having seen it. ::)

Funny you say that because most of us will not see the movie til June 8th.

Blacklabel

I have a feeling most of those "reviewers" are guslandi's.....

http://rhysaurusrex.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/guslandi.html

JonesTheCat

Quote from: Vulhala on May 28, 2012, 02:47:51 PM
Hmmm. Marmite it is then. Not what I was hoping for. I'll make up my mind when I see it, of course.

I LIKE Marmite. :)

But seriously folks, ignore the reviews - we all have different tastes, just see it for yourselves THEN judge it. It might even take multiple viewings to appreciate it - for example, I wasn't impressed by The Dark Knight when I first saw it, but it grew on me and now I love it.

Darth Vile

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on May 28, 2012, 03:07:04 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on May 28, 2012, 03:01:10 PM
Starting to feel like this film might have a polarizing effect like Blade Runner (and more recently Watchman.)

Definitely agree with this. They've made it a point to mention multiple times in interviews and statements that the movie was going to be more 'intellectual' than Alien, akin to Blade Runner. We may see another 'cult classic' type film here, with mixed reviews in theaters, but a bounce back in sales and audience reviews when the movie is released on DVD and Blu-Ray later on.
It may well turn out to be a movie that polarises the fan base/audiences... but I don't expect Prometheus to be a game changer like Blade Runner. I knew from the instant I saw the first stills of Blade Runner it was going to be 'special'. Prometheus looks good, but it doesn't look cinematically different to what's gone before. If the movie doesn't scare/shock, then regardless of the undoubted intelligence behind it, it will fall short. Let's hope these initial reactions don't set the trend...

RustiSwordz

I will judge for myself, to hell with the critics.  ;D

However it does seem that people are hoping for another 'Aliens'  :(

aliennaire

aliennaire

I found the mixture of emotional and pedestrian comments in the OP. Give them the time to digest it...

Quotevisually beautiful but a dramatic increase chaotic and full of unanswered questions!

Really like the highlighted phrase!  :)

I guess, we will have something to discuss upon seeing the film, lol! *rubs her hands*

Darkness

Few more links:

https://www.facebook.com/auboudoirecarlate/posts/362438487152029

Quote* caroline * Prometheus Rather disappointed, as many movies right now, it's visually stunning but there is no real coherent story ... Short form is the top, the bottom is ... blah And that's a shame with a cast and a director as talented!

http://www.reviewer.fr/breves/cinema/13441/prometheus-critiques-mitigees-apres-premiere-projection.html

QuoteWe were expecting very strong Prometheus, the new Ridley Scott film, which serves more or less prequel to Alien. But the first press screening held on Monday in Paris did not make everyone happy (read below) ... Film critics and bloggers who were invited have generally found Prometheus pretty average and all this does not reassure us, but not at all on the film quality.

Quotephilippe @ guedj JohnPlissken

Prometheus ... Big big beautiful mess slaloming between Z and hypertrophied. WTF the link to Alien? Experience BIZARRE.
     28 May 12

CloneWeb @ cloneweb

Cardboard figures, writing problems and strong will to lift the mysteries of Alien ... Bof # prometheus
     28 May 12

black screen @ ecrannoir

It is clear that Prometheus # 2-3 passes rating strong ideas (ca lack of rivalries) and target teens with so little anxiety horrific
     28 May 12

CinémaClubFr @ CinemaClubFr

# Prometheus: entertainment for the efficient soft science fiction, even when far enough from the power of Alien.
     28 May 12

William Mondello @ WilliamMondello

# Prometheus: Very Lostien particularly in its themes, the film would have earned break completely with Alien. The result looks exciting
     28 May 12

Clap! @ Clapmag

Released just Prometheus, beautiful object with a few reservations SF # prometheus
     28 May 12

@ Frederic Murarotto fmurarotto

At Prometheus loved (though the fact that the 3D shit)
     28 May 12

Christopher Ramone @ Chris_Ramone

Prometheus of a chaotic map which opens various approaches (or bullshit) for future consequences. Great visual world.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: aliennaire on May 28, 2012, 03:25:27 PM
Quotevisually beautiful but a dramatic increase chaotic and full of unanswered questions!

Really like the highlighted phrase!  :)

I guess, we will have something to discuss upon seeing the film, lol! *rubs her hands*

Interesting statement indeed... Really don't know what to think right now...

I'm going to hold out for some reviews/opinions from Alien fans and take precautions to avoid ALL spoilers until June 8th.

Darkness

First review is out: http://www.ecranlarge.com/movie_review-read-24513-157891.php. It scored 4/5.

Via Google translate:

QuoteProject will rarely spilled much ink, raised so many hopes, raised as many fears. Prometheus, a time called Paradise, was to be a prequel to Alien, the eighth passenger, before becoming an independent film, only to anhedral connected by a "common DNA", then the initiator of an autonomous saga. We did not know what to expect, or even whether it was reasonable to place much hope in this hybrid creation, an outgrowth of cult saga in which its creator intended to return. How to find the inventiveness, intelligence and wealth of a work still matrix for an entire segment of contemporary cinema? The answer is manifold, but anyway, take a deep breath, relax, because Prometheus is an excellent film, although as it stands, it seems to have almost as much as Blade Runner Alien.

As the web and the clipboard will logically be ignited between pros and antis, supporters and defenders of the original film of its new iteration, it is worth recalling an essential, at a time when science fiction has suffered Digital scribbles by John Carter or the last Star Wars: Prometheus is magnificent. The film never fails to pay in excess of realism to the Sunshine or the fantastic own maniacal George Lucas. Performance, given the number of creatures and spooky decorations that dot the film. The latter is a rare elegance, and can play his illustrious parentage without the recycle stupidly. Clearly, Scott remembered what made his glory, and tried to give back to its staging some of his pedigree. The most careful design, through a cutting fluid and classy, ​​who knows how heavily loaded with real locations for a tenfold impact, the film is a true piece of art, which our eyes never tire.

There was concern in view of the recent trailers and promotional clips that the movie does layer structure on that of Alien, and left us with a body count that we would know in advance the outcome. Certainly, the parallels are many and obvious, however, is in the registry that Prometheus thematic surprises and / or reassurance. Much more than the feeling of fear is a thought that comes to extend the Blade Runner that we find here. For if Michael Fassbender steals the show from the early impeccable Noomi Rapace, not only because of his flawless playing and his ability to engender fear in the viewer with a simple shrug of an eye, but in this he just prolong the fascinating character of Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) antagonist of the memorable Harrison Ford in adapting the novel by Philip K. Dick. While Batty struggling to meet its creator, and destroyed with rage upon discovering that it was not the omnipotent Almighty he had expected, the android David has passed that stage, it is understood almost instantly, it a machine is well aware of the limits of its creators, and participates in the mission Prometheus in the hope of finally facing a superior entity, able to provide answers that its manufacturers do not have. Do not we say that talent skips a generation? This issue could be the subtitle of the film, as she is also the engine. We may regret that Scott does not explore this issue thoroughly (reserving probably a hypothetical second album), but it illuminates an entire meaning and depth that we could detect in previous androids the company Weyland.

The only real complaint that can be done at Prometheus takes his characters, too functional. Indeed, except for two brilliant Rapace and Fassbender, the rest of the cast simply purely mechanical roles, all well understood, but whose identification or empathy are more weaklings. This is perhaps the limits of a script that had too much to do in such short duration (less than two hours), and threw all his strength in battle without a thank you with our a priori, fantasies and memories magnified. We are not in fact take away from the idea that some essential sequences have been deleted, just between the characters, who have allowed their relationship to be completely embodied.

Prometheus is not a sequel, a reboot, or a rehash of Alien, there is another film, the promise of an exciting new saga, and it seems a rich bestiary no less terrifying, that we long to discover further. Signs of this undeniable success? New unanswered questions, questions that we already inflamed the spirit (but good god what is that this fresco? And this fall with the thing green? The wonderful introduction tells us she a act of rebellion or the first part of a plan gone awry?), and essentially a quality film, one to close the film on its image the most beautiful and exciting.

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

In all its not looking good is it? Seems to be 2/1 against Prometheus being any good.

That review is encouraging at least.

Virgil

I think I'll let Mr Clay Davis summerise my current feelings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hjSaYCRnA#

Predaker

So basically this movie has nothing to do with the original Alien movie, or at least happens in a different universe. lol "shared dna"

I knew this wouldn't be a problem for AvP fans ;)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Darkness on May 28, 2012, 03:35:17 PM
First review is out: http://www.ecranlarge.com/movie_review-read-24513-157891.php. It scored 4/5.

Via Google translate:

QuoteProject will rarely spilled much ink, raised so many hopes, raised as many fears. Prometheus, a time called Paradise, was to be a prequel to Alien, the eighth passenger, before becoming an independent film, only to anhedral connected by a "common DNA", then the initiator of an autonomous saga. We did not know what to expect, or even whether it was reasonable to place much hope in this hybrid creation, an outgrowth of cult saga in which its creator intended to return. How to find the inventiveness, intelligence and wealth of a work still matrix for an entire segment of contemporary cinema? The answer is manifold, but anyway, take a deep breath, relax, because Prometheus is an excellent film, although as it stands, it seems to have almost as much as Blade Runner Alien.

As the web and the clipboard will logically be ignited between pros and antis, supporters and defenders of the original film of its new iteration, it is worth recalling an essential, at a time when science fiction has suffered Digital scribbles by John Carter or the last Star Wars: Prometheus is magnificent. The film never fails to pay in excess of realism to the Sunshine or the fantastic own maniacal George Lucas. Performance, given the number of creatures and spooky decorations that dot the film. The latter is a rare elegance, and can play his illustrious parentage without the recycle stupidly. Clearly, Scott remembered what made his glory, and tried to give back to its staging some of his pedigree. The most careful design, through a cutting fluid and classy, ​​who knows how heavily loaded with real locations for a tenfold impact, the film is a true piece of art, which our eyes never tire.

There was concern in view of the recent trailers and promotional clips that the movie does layer structure on that of Alien, and left us with a body count that we would know in advance the outcome. Certainly, the parallels are many and obvious, however, is in the registry that Prometheus thematic surprises and / or reassurance. Much more than the feeling of fear is a thought that comes to extend the Blade Runner that we find here. For if Michael Fassbender steals the show from the early impeccable Noomi Rapace, not only because of his flawless playing and his ability to engender fear in the viewer with a simple shrug of an eye, but in this he just prolong the fascinating character of Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) antagonist of the memorable Harrison Ford in adapting the novel by Philip K. Dick. While Batty struggling to meet its creator, and destroyed with rage upon discovering that it was not the omnipotent Almighty he had expected, the android David has passed that stage, it is understood almost instantly, it a machine is well aware of the limits of its creators, and participates in the mission Prometheus in the hope of finally facing a superior entity, able to provide answers that its manufacturers do not have. Do not we say that talent skips a generation? This issue could be the subtitle of the film, as she is also the engine. We may regret that Scott does not explore this issue thoroughly (reserving probably a hypothetical second album), but it illuminates an entire meaning and depth that we could detect in previous androids the company Weyland.

The only real complaint that can be done at Prometheus takes his characters, too functional. Indeed, except for two brilliant Rapace and Fassbender, the rest of the cast simply purely mechanical roles, all well understood, but whose identification or empathy are more weaklings. This is perhaps the limits of a script that had too much to do in such short duration (less than two hours), and threw all his strength in battle without a thank you with our a priori, fantasies and memories magnified. We are not in fact take away from the idea that some essential sequences have been deleted, just between the characters, who have allowed their relationship to be completely embodied.

Prometheus is not a sequel, a reboot, or a rehash of Alien, there is another film, the promise of an exciting new saga, and it seems a rich bestiary no less terrifying, that we long to discover further. Signs of this undeniable success? New unanswered questions, questions that we already inflamed the spirit (but good god what is that this fresco? And this fall with the thing green? The wonderful introduction tells us she a act of rebellion or the first part of a plan gone awry?), and essentially a quality film, one to close the film on its image the most beautiful and exciting.

Interesting review, and kind of reassuring after reading those twitter comments. Hope we get more positive responses soon.

JonesTheCat

Quote from: RustiSwordz on May 28, 2012, 03:17:48 PM
I will judge for myself, to hell with the critics.  ;D

However it does seem that people are hoping for another 'Aliens'  :(

What a horrible thought - if it's anything like Aliens then it's a major thumbs down from me.

mastermoon

I remember in one update a week back the movie was called a semi-prequel to Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed