Ellen Ripley/Sigourney Weaver future roles for the franchise

Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 09, 2018, 03:55:30 PM

What do you for the future of Ellen Ripley/Sigourney Weaver?

Reprise her role as Ellen in Blomkamp's Alien
11 (20.8%)
Reprise her role as Ripley 8
7 (13.2%)
Reprise her role in a series
1 (1.9%)
Voice acting roles in games and animation
10 (18.9%)
New actor playing Ripley
1 (1.9%)
More books and comics with Ripley
2 (3.8%)
No more Ripley
34 (64.2%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author
Ellen Ripley/Sigourney Weaver future roles for the franchise (Read 11,100 times)

The Old One

The Old One

It was more the point that you can set it in the Alien/Aliens/3 era (For all intents and purposes) people remember, with compelling characters-
without literally dragging Ripley out of the grave.

Corporal Hicks

I can't disagree with that at all. As with all things, just depends on the talent of the people responsible for it.

TC

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 31, 2018, 06:51:56 AM
Yes, time dilation but that sort of 'time travel' is hard science-fact. Which helps make Alien all the better.

However going back or forward at will in the time stream would convolute the entire series up. Plus it would introduce the resurrection of dead characters on a whim.

Let's all be grateful Hill and Giler never got to introduce time travel to the Nostromo in 1979.

Remember the reports of their later scripts incorporating Hercules, Ghengis Khan, and Jack the Ripper, used by the crew as combatants to help kill the alien?

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-realism-of-giler-and-hills-earlier.html

Phew!  We dodged a close one...

TC

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 31, 2018, 10:37:34 AM
Lets have the alternate timeline.  Retcon.  Whatever you call it.  It's the best way to make the series work again.  Nobody is going to make a post-Resurrection film.  If that's the case you can be sure nobody is going to jump at the opportunity to make a post-Alien 3 film either.  Even on this site, in all fairness, nobody is clamorong to find out what happens to Ripley-8 on earth.  I have yet to see that conversation.

Even though I'm not particularly fond of it... like others have mentioned, I too have witnessed some support here for Ripley-8 future installments. However, I don't believe that would be the right direction go to curry favor with a large portion of the general audience who used to hold "Alien" and "Aliens" in high regard, but have since abandoned care towards this franchise due to disappointment towards later installments.

However, after the critical and financial success of "Halloween", and if Linda Hamilton's "Terminator" mirrors that success, a retcon starring Sigourney Weaver to erase the previous generally percieved wrongs and missteps, could be a huge injection of freshness and life into Alien. I think it might be what the franchise needs... with a story that doesn't paint the franchise in the corner, and can be continued with Newt if they ever see fit.

A retcon might not be what all the fans prefer, but it seems like a good model for success.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd rather the franchise rot than turn into trash with it becoming Ripley and her Surrogate Family fight the company.
What utter, stomach churning garbage.

Huggs

It's getting pretty crazy. If terminator couldn't rest, then Arnold and Hamilton need to stay away from it. That's one of the few thing Salvation did right. Arnold was just a cgi cameo, and Hamilton was a picture and some audio.

This whole business of retconning and bringing back actors feels like it's more about money, and not good storytelling. What's next? Alan Alda returns to korea next fall? Well, perhaps just to dig up the time capsule.

Hawkeye MD: The Search for Teddy.

The Old One

The Old One

Haha Indeed.

TheBATMAN

I'd like to see Ripley 8 meet David to kind of bring the franchise full circle. I'd love to see her land on some giger-esque planet where she comes across the remains of David. Id like to see him fused to some kind of Giger-like machine construct having been immobile for some 200 years and abandoned by his creations.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 02:04:17 PM

Is it sad that I'd watch that?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Oct 31, 2018, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 02:04:17 PM

Is it sad that I'd watch that?

lol  Yeah... that's probably not the reaction Huggs was looking for.   ;D.

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 31, 2018, 01:28:34 PM
I'd rather the franchise rot than turn into trash with it becoming Ripley and her Surrogate Family fight the company.
What utter, stomach churning garbage.

We'll be there for you, armed with lots of antacids, if it indeed happens.  :)

Frosty Venom

I agree that doing an alternate Alien 3 would be the best choice forward after the prequel movies are finished. I would love to see a continuation of Resurrection on film but that's not at all likely to happen. Setting a movie between 3 and Resurrection wouldn't really work because that ruins Ripley's sacrifice and the point of the USM cloning her. A story post-Resurrection without Ripley would also work.

On another note it'd be amazing to see an anthology series of animated episodes with some episodes featuring actors from the movies as voice actors. One episode could be post-Resurrection with Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder and Ron Perlman, another could be an early marine mission with Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen etc., maybe a Space Beast episode narrated by Paul McGann. And a bunch of other episodes completely unrelated to the movies whilst others related to the prequels. Something akin to Animatrix or Halo Legends.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 31, 2018, 04:01:40 PM

I'll tell ya what, thinking about it now, I'd almost have to watch that myself.

But only to see if B.J.'s stones had been re-arranged in an obscene manner.  :D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 31, 2018, 04:01:40 PM

I'll tell ya what, thinking about it now, I'd almost have to watch that myself.

But only to see if B.J.'s stones had been re-arranged in an obscene manner.  :D

Well that's a criteria for a viewing decision not heard everyday!  :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Judging by the Isolation series, they wouldn't even get her for a proper animated series. But maybe they can get the audiodrama girl.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 02, 2019, 04:24:15 AM
Judging by the Isolation series, they wouldn't even get her for a proper animated series. But maybe they can get the audiodrama girl.

:'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed