Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,424 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: 180924609 on Feb 29, 2012, 12:44:56 AM
As intriguing as this Guy Pearce 'Peter Weyland' viral publicity footage was -

I'm pretty sure that most of you will wake up tomorrow morning and in the cold light of day realise what a hokey piece of internet sh!t it truly was.

I hope to Christ that the actual movie has more dignity than this.
As do I. I think we can be sure it does--no way would Ridley allow Pearce to turn in such a half-assed performance as was seen in that video. The whole thing probably was shot in only one day :P

SM

SM

Quotei feel the timeline has problems. at 2023 they already send private human missions. in 50 years the prometheus thing happens and in 30 more years the alien. so 80 years to develop this mining industries and send humans to another star when u have at least 5 planets bigger than earth in the same solar system. so from begining everything was wrong so wrong

The what now?

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

*sees nothing contradicting the main timeline* Looks good so far. 8)

bioweapon

bioweapon

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:46:54 AM

I'm pretty sure that most of you will wake up tomorrow morning and in the cold light of day realise what a hokey piece of internet sh!t it truly was.

As do I. I think we can be sure it does--no way would Ridley allow Pearce to turn in such a half-assed performance as was seen in that video. The whole thing probably was shot in only one day :P

dont like it at all. poor arrogance performance. even contradicts with lots of real Ted talkers human sense.
and theres that script about this scene, from like 2 months ago..
well it was Rildey's son. u know an actor isnt the same with diferent directors.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

So good. Goddamn, as soon as he said "Peter Weyland" I got all giddy inside. Talks about androids in the future, terraforming the worlds, becoming gods ourselves.

Fackin' hell, I need this movie.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: bioweapon on Feb 29, 2012, 12:54:06 AM

dont like it at all. poor arrogance performance. even contradicts with lots of real Ted talkers human sense.
and theres that script about this scene, from like 2 months ago..
well it was Rildey's son. u know an actor isnt the same with diferent directors.

But isn't that the point?

As the guys said, Weyland here is a guy with a huge ego.  He asked for this huge football field sized stadium, not the usually tiny TED Stadium in California.  This is his personality.  He has to be confident - Peter Weyland is showing off his company to investors (and if we accept the website as canon - this was the big international debut).

And of course he's no typical TED talker.  As an article I read put it, he did something very unusually when he announced that he wanted to change the world.

As for the look of the ad, well...it's an ad!  I'm fine with this style, trying to mimic what could be an actual speech happening in the future.  All the camera angles seem to be from the floating cameras, nothing too dramatic.  All of the drama is captured in Pearce's performance, in my opinion.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

This thread is growing faster than a chestbuster. :D Nice to see some new advertising and I take it that AVP just got elbow dropped in the nuts? It sounds like the Space Jockey's clearly over react to humans in Prometheus and likely engineering the alien to wipe humans outs. As a certain rumored script suggests...

AmazSpiderMan1

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 29, 2012, 12:13:18 AM
Quote from: AmazSpiderMan1 on Feb 28, 2012, 11:51:03 PMEverybody is putting too much thought into this, as if Ridley and co. are trying to "erase" the AVP movies. They couldn't give a shit.

I disagree. It wouldn't of been that hard to work around the AVP stuff or at least leave it to the side, but they didn't. Instead they have completely replaced a fundamental character in the AVP timeline.

As far as Prometheus is concerned, AVP never happened. They are now completely separate universes.

-Chris

What I'm saying is, I doubt they even care to know about the canon in the AVP movies. Do you think any of the creative talent in charge popped in AVP:R and took note that Ms. Yutani existed? I highly doubt it. Infact, Ridley Scott keeps saying this film stands on it's own, with "barely" any connection. You're over-thinking something that Scott has put no thought in himself. He's using Alien as a spring board for an entirely different film, not dwelling or worrying about canon. I'm wondering why he even bothered relating this film to Alien at all. I'm honestly guessing because he kind of promised Fox an Alien prequel, and the idea of creating an original sci-fi film came later.

Let's be honest with ourselves here: whether or not this fits into the Alien series as a whole is up to personal tastes of which films you enjoy. The studio is saying virtually nothing on the matter, so it's wishful thinking this either ignores other Alien films or acknowledges them. It's not like in Halloween H2O, where the film makers were being blunt and saying, "Yes, we are IGNORING Halloween 4-6." You are basing this all on a piece of marketting for the film, and that will mean very little if they don't make any direct continuity statements within the film itself. Statements I doubt they'll make because Ridley Scott doesn't care. He's just trying to make an interesting, thought provoking film. Whether it fits in with the series is inconsequential.

Deuterium

Deuterium

What exactly do you see as "half-assed" in Pearce's performance.  The context of the scene is of an arrogant CEO consciously giving a prepared speech...not only in front of thousands of audience members, but presumedly to millions of extended viewers. 

How exactly would you have "directed" Pearce as to his acting and performance?

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I, for one, quite like his performance. I get a sense that he is a charasmatic man with a lot of ambition and hubris to spare. I also get the feeling that he knows what he's talking about and doesn't just think that he can change the world, he knows it. I think that's great. I also think he comes across as a much more interesting take on the Weyland founder than Henrikson in AVP.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

I know this was discussed to death a while ago, many people debunked it at the time, including me.  But assuming this Peter Weyland video isn't in the movie and purely just viral, COULD there have been any truth in the "Weyland Leaked Speech" scene reported by Prometheus-Movie.com back in November after all??

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=40874.0

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Youre not the first person to bring this up!  The similarities are striking!  Not to mention, both this viral video and the leaked speech mispell Weyland as "Wayland" at some point.  And of course, the old leaked storyboard said "GUY".

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 29, 2012, 12:38:55 AMWhy should a serious filmmaker like Ridley Scott make the effort to accommodate the canon of a movie that took no effort to be consistent itself?

My point was that they seem to have made an effort to contradict the canon. Why specifically make Peter the founder of Weyland Corp. other than to rewrite the timeline. He could of just been the company's current firebrand CEO, or as others have suggested, a descendant of previous Weylands. Making him the founder is not really necessary, especially for a character that is only in the movie for a minute or so.

Just my reading of it.

Quote from: AmazSpiderMan1 on Feb 29, 2012, 01:02:14 AM
Let's be honest with ourselves here: whether or not this fits into the Alien series as a whole is up to personal tastes of which films you enjoy.

Agree. A nice bookend.

-Chris

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:02:49 AM
What exactly do you see as "half-assed" in Pearce's performance.  The context of the scene is of an arrogant CEO consciously giving a prepared speech...not only in front of thousands of audience members, but presumedly to millions of extended viewers. 

It's a weak, hammy performance, full stop. He doesn't sound like he's addressing thousands of people, he sounds like he's acting against a green screen, and his accent is forced and unconvincing. Not necessarily his fault. Green screen acting is hard. Just look at the hideous performances in the STAR WARS prequels from otherwise competent thespians (Natalie Portman and Hayden Plank-a-wood aside).

bioweapon

bioweapon

Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:02:49 AM

well something more "steve jobs" or "carl sagan". putting a man with good intentions, knowing that the thing he creates became evil.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed