Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 284,930 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Engineer on May 27, 2017, 01:42:31 PM
I found it hard to care about any of the characters. ..the pacing didn't allow me to get to know the characters so when they died I just shrugged it off.

Got used to that feeling in 1986.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Gash on May 27, 2017, 02:10:14 PM
I found it hard to care about any of the characters. ..the pacing didn't allow me to get to know the characters so when they died I just shrugged it off.

Got used to that feeling in 1986.
Not an "aliens" fan?

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 27, 2017, 11:16:07 AM
Quote from: Engineer on May 27, 2017, 01:36:11 AM
Since when is being called ignorant a compliment?

Why is that so important? I'm not interested in discourse consisting entirely of compliments. At the same time, calling someone ignorant, if it is merited, is not the same thing as doling out random insults.

merited?! Lmfao! Oh please. It's an insult no matter how you slice it. The only purpose of saying it is to degrade. Doesn't matter if there's any truth to it or not. you could have gotten your message across just fine without saying it at all. It's all about the rhetoric right?

And by the way, forum rules exist so the conversations, no matter how heated they may get, stay respectful and mature. Like I said before, no one is going to take what you say seriously if you immediately attack and start doling out insults. So there's really no point to it.

PS. All I'm saying here is take it down a notch. We're all fans, and we can have a mature conversation about the movie without getting all worked up.

Quote from: stroggificated on May 27, 2017, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2017, 08:38:40 PM
I agree too... and why pretend not to read it? He's not saying anything new here; others have already said the same thing once or twice or more before and you read that. It's an opinion; everybody has one whether you agree with it or not.

I might have crossed the line with AVP and Alien Resurrection.  ;D

I can only hope the next movie gets better. I really reached the point of indifference/apathy to this franchise since I watched Covenant.
Lol. If that's how you feel. But I thought you hit the nail on the head; I found it hard to care about any of the characters. They were acted better, but the pacing didn't allow me to get to know the characters so when they died I just shrugged it off.

Not even Oram?

Engineer

Engineer

No the only person I really cared about was Tennessee.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

merited?! Lmfao! Oh please. It's an insult no matter how you slice it. The only purpose of saying it is to degrade.

Oh, really? According to whom, you? Well, forgive me if you and I don't see eye to eye in this regard. If I wanted to insult and degrade the individual as you suggest, there are much better ways of going about it, because insulting him or degrading him purely for the sake of it was not my intent. My aim is to enlighten, and sometimes, to do this, you have to burst some bubbles. I can assure you no lasting damage has been done; he'll live. As for whether or not he'll listen, that is ultimately up to him. I can delicately coax a horse to the water or I can motivate more forcefully but either way he drinks or doesn't drink of his own accord; if I could control his mind and force him to, I haven't persuaded him to do anything.

Ultimately you're telling me that my approach isn't effective because it constitutes an unwarranted attack. I disagree on two points: one, that it's any less effective that the approach you're prescribing and two, that it's even an attack, to begin with.

Engineer

Engineer

Tennessee because his character took some time to develop. He was the last to get down to the planet and we learned more about him as a person before he arrived and was thrust into danger. That scene when he found out his wife died? Gut wrenching performance!

On the flip side, when Daniels husband died, I didn't care because we didn't know them. I don't think we were meant to care about the captain, but we were supposed to care that Daniels cared. And it didn't work for me.

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 27, 2017, 02:22:01 PM
merited?! Lmfao! Oh please. It's an insult no matter how you slice it. The only purpose of saying it is to degrade.

Oh, really? According to whom, you? Well, forgive me if you and I don't see eye to eye in this regard. If I wanted to insult and degrade the individual as you suggest, there are much better ways of going about it, because insulting him or degrading him purely for the sake of it was not my intent. My aim is to enlighten, and sometimes, to do this, you have to burst some bubbles. I can assure you no lasting damage has been done; he'll live. As for whether or not he'll listen, that is ultimately up to him. I can delicately coax a horse to the water or I can motivate more forcefully but either way he drinks or doesn't drink of his own accord; if I could control his mind and force him to, I haven't persuaded him to do anything.

Ultimately you're telling me that my approach isn't effective because it constitutes an unwarranted attack. I disagree on two points: one, that it's any less effective that the approach you're prescribing and two, that it's even an attack, to begin with.
I'm done. I said my piece. Take it or leave it. ;-)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Engineer on May 27, 2017, 02:24:29 PM
Tennessee because his character took some time to develop. He was the last to get down to the planet and we learned more about him as a person before he arrived and was thrust into danger. That scene when he found out his wife died? Gut wrenching performance!

On the flip side, when Daniels husband died, I didn't care because we didn't know them. I don't think we were meant to care about the captain, but we were supposed to care that Daniels cared. And it didn't work for me.

I liked Tennessee and Daniels tbh but I felt Oram was the most fleshed out character and had the best arc. Next time you watch it you might appreciate him a little more.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I'm done. I said my piece. Take it or leave it. ;-)

As have I. Much ado about nothing, really. Thanks for bringing it up. Very insightful. :)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 27, 2017, 02:27:50 PM

I liked Tennessee and Daniels tbh but I felt Oram was the most fleshed out character and had the best arc. Next time you watch it you might appreciate him a little more.

I'll keep an open mind but I'm doubtful. Orem was fleshed out, sure, but I didn't like his character all that much. Personal taste, really. I think I'll enjoy the book more than the movie to be honest. I'm sure we'll get to know all the characters better in that medium.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

But they're completely different. The difference between the novelization of Alien and the film is night and day. They're completely different in tone, execution and scope. The fault here lies in one being an adaptation of the other, and the results vary even more drastically depending on if a book is made into a film or vice versa. The results are almost always unsatisfying.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 27, 2017, 02:43:10 PM
But they're completely different.

That's the point

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I gathered.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 27, 2017, 12:45:49 AM
I feel bad for the folks who hated Covenant enough to come here and post that hate and negativity over and over and over again. Its like they have some personal vendetta against the film. Seen it with so many alien films now it starts to feel comical.

Still not even close to the utter loathing and contempt that alien3 recieved upon release though. The reaction to AC is about the same as when Prometheus came out maybe. Hard to tell really, a lot of alien fans hated aliens when it came out too. (Lots of fans still hate aliens and the queen.)
I suppose you can't expect fans to totally disconnect with fandom just because they didn't like Covenant. I don't think it's particularly productive to spend too much time discussing things one dislikes... but that's human nature.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Engineer on May 27, 2017, 02:33:08 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 27, 2017, 02:27:50 PM

I'll keep an open mind but I'm doubtful. Orem was fleshed out, sure, but I didn't like his character all that much. Personal taste, really. I think I'll enjoy the book more than the movie to be honest. I'm sure we'll get to know all the characters better in that medium.

I'm in the Oram camp too. Initially he was shown as a warm person when he was waking up Daniels, then we saw him disconnected from the rest of the crew, trying to establish authority, doing things by the book and determined. We were being set up to hate him, especially after when Daniels voiced her disapproval of his decision. Then he showed some idiosyncracies and he had good chemistry with Carmen Ejogo (Karine, his wife). Next he he was getting along nicely while on planet and he even had some clever lines. Then he was channeling a lot of emotions with Daniels. He was constantly falling apart and picking himself up again. His confrontation with David was brilliant. Maybe his demise not as good but the initial part when at the same time I was fascinated by bonding of David with the Neomorph and rooting for them, but on the other hand Oram did a wise thing and he demanded an explanation. The set-up that led him to his demise could have been altered slightly, because the whole act itself, I really felt it...it was the most touching death I can remember in any Alien film. I thought he's gonna be a shill, weakling or simply a dick...but he was neither, and yet he was something way more than any of those archetypes. And my wife liked him a lot too and she agreed with me. For me liking him was very unexpected yet I cannot stop thinking about his performance! He's like a Hudson of this film :D I mean a character that constantly makes this film still alive and a character to watch for, but in a totally different way.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed