Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 288,304 times)

M_Tak

M_Tak

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 12:01:55 PM
Guys, have a look at this, I copied this from another thread:

Hi all,

I'm a new member so I apologize in advance if I make some mistakes regarding board/posting norms. I teach college level classes in Media Studies and have a background in Film/TV along with degrees in the aforementioned fields and the social sciences.  Since Hollywood movies aren't always respected by those in higher learning, I thought I would feel more at home with fellow Alien fans rather than writing/discussing in other places.

Just saw Alien: Covenant last night. After viewing it, I was impressed with how everything is starting to connect with the entire Alien universe. This connection is occurring at both a plot and thematic/philosophical level. I was particularly stunned at how Scott was still able to thread the philosophical nature of Prometheus with pacing/horror of the original series - all in an attempt to assuage Prometheus' critics.

Let's look at some key elements:

David's name and birth - Why call Fassbender's android David? Many speculated that this follows the series' alphabetical android naming process. We have Ash (letter A) in Alien, Bishop in Aliens/Alien 3 (Letter B), and Call in Alien: Resurrection (letter C). Prometheus follows the pattern by giving the letter D it's due. However, Alien: Covenant breaks this pattern with Walter (letter W). Why?

Part 1:
We learn that David is named after the famous Michelangelo statue. This greatly changes the meaning of his name. The David statue is important on two levels:

1) it represents the Renaissance's physical representation of the ideal man. Just as David, the android, represents Weyland's "ideal" creation/son.

2) It foreshadows the critical importance of David's actions. The David statue is modeled after the Biblical character (religious themes like in Prometheus). David, the mere weakling, destroys the giant, more powerful Goliath. This parallels David's actions with both the death of the engineers (the Goliaths or giants) and his intent to kill mankind (the other Goliaths, his masters/creators). The unlikely android servant becomes a god just as the Biblical character becomes an unlikely victor.

The question is: was this the plan from the start? Was this Scott's plan with Prometheus? It all ties in. The name has nothing to do with an alphabetical nature (as evidenced by Walter) - David's name comes from a place of deeper meaning planted in Prometheus.

Part 2

Ozymandias, Shelley, and Frankenstein

Along with the David statue, another major artistic reference is Percy Shelley's Ozymandias poem. The poem refers to the decline of a great civilization (Ancient Egypt). David recites a line from the poem when dropping the black ooze (or black oil from The X-Files if you prefer ;)).  So, David is destroying the empire of the engineers just as referenced in the poem. He is also intent on destroying the other declining civilization - mankind. He references this in his conversation with Walter stating something along the lines of "why are they leaving earth, looking for colonies - they are in decline and shouldn't be allowed to restart."

However, there is a multiple layer of deep meaning in the Ozymandias choice:

1) David mistakenly claims that the poem is written by Byron. This is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT - on a surface level, it shows that David is not programmed correctly, which explains his many violent actions.

On a deeper level, it highlights David's totally incongruous actions. Byron was actually an outspoken critic of "automation" - he claimed it would hurt mankind. Yet, David admires Byron (albeit erroneously) - just as he kills Shaw, yet clearly loves her. He is like a robotic Jekyll and Hyde. He serves Weyland, yet undermines him. He kisses Walter, yet tries to destroy him. He kisses Daniels, before he attempts to murder her.

2) Percy Shelley, author of Ozymandias, was married to Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein. Frankenstein, of course, is about the horrors of creation, the horrors of Man playing God. This lines up thematically with the prequel series - when Man plays God (Weyland creates AI) horrible things happen.

What's important about the Shelley connection? Many claim that Percy may have co-written Frankenstein. Does anyone know what the original title of Frankenstein was - The Modern Prometheus

So again, the seeds of Covenant and its plot are thematically connected to Prometheus. To some extent, by giving the title Prometheus to the first prequel, we were destined to have the plot in Covenant - the engineers were never (thematically) going to make sense as creators of the Xenomorph. I know this may hurt the perceptions of some fans - but look at the threads - the prequel series is a futuristic Frankenstein or (Futuristic "Modern Prometheus").

It is mankind's actions (AI creation) that lead to the horrors. The Frankenstein monster (David) turns against its creator. Scott and crew just make the Frankenstein monster, David, become another creator in his act of revenge on mankind.

Part 3

Who is Prometheus?

We all know the tale of Prometheus by now. So who is Prometheus? I will contend that Elizabeth Shaw is in fact "Prometheus" - it is why she is the lead of the first prequel and why she must be deceased in the second prequel.

Prometheus, a god (creator species), gives the power of making fire (ability to start civilization) to mankind (created species). For this action, Prometheus is chained eternally and tortured.

Elizabeth Shaw, a human (creator species) gives android David (created species) power by reattaching his head and granting him access to the Engineer ship(ability to start civilization/create life).  For this action, Elizabeth Shaw is taxidermied/turned into a stuffed animal (chained eternally/tortured).

Conclusion (I know, finally)

So, all of the themes/references in Prometheus actually connect quite well in Covenant, despite the fact that the film feels more like an "Alien" movie. I'm impressed with how this was all done and wonder if this was planned all along or if they've been able to connect the dots as they go.

I've read some of the fan criticisms and respect the viewpoints. But from a thematic perspective, this was the direction they seemed to be heading in since Prometheus. Shaw was never going to be the lead for the entirety of the prequel series and David was always going to play the critical role in the creation story.

Now since the Xenomorph origin has been largely revealed and philosophical connections have been made, we are left with two major PLOT points moving forward:

1) How does the company learn about the Xenomorph and why/who wants it?

2) How does the original derelict/Space Jockey wind up in the condition of the original Alien?

Thoughts?

Wow just read this, such a good analysis, I had a similar thought about the David statue in the Weyland opening, but not so in depth.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I gave it a 4 in the poll - thoroughly entertaining, just not high art like ALIEN. I'm just pissed it wasn't in 3D!

Actually, I have one small quibble that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: the film's title appearing slowly and in pieces is getting Pretty Damn Tired by this point!  :D

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 20, 2017, 05:39:46 PM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 05:28:29 PM

Watch a 4th... you seem to need it, buddy...😂
I refer to my earlier post... You've proven yourself to be so inaccurate with your observations that you've sullied your other comments by default. Why not just admit you were mistaken? Did you see Elvis in Covenant too?
😄

😂 Sorry, I did not  mean to laugh, but ya gotta admit... I will state I was mistaken when I and only I watch it again... That simple... And the color of blood is not my biggest gripe, far from it... You would know that if you weren't so far up your own arrogant  arse... So, tell me again your logic: if one thing I say is wrong, then by default, everything else is...? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... Very defensive as well... Trying the denial plea or are your plans more mature than that...? I apologize in advance to the moderators, but this intellectual garbage  could not go unnoticed...

Gash

Gash

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 20, 2017, 06:10:16 PM
... the color of blood is not my biggest gripe, far from it... You would know that if you weren't so far up your own arrogant  arse... So, tell me again your logic: if one thing I say is wrong, then by default, everything else is...? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... Very defensive as well... Trying the denial plea or are your plans more mature than that...? I apologize in advance to the moderators, but this intellectual garbage  could not go unnoticed...

One note, and soon the whole symphony is off.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

*Spoilers*
I never write reviews of movies but I felt the need to put my feelings on this one out there to discuss, Sorry in advance if the reviews wis a little messy.

I saw the film last night and overall I enjoyed it but as others have stated, as an Alien fan, I have my issues with it.  As a movie I think it was a success being beautifully shot and executed but as an Alien film it has problems.  The first half of the film is great everything is done so nicely and is actually creepy, the neomorphs are wonderfully terrifying and were a great addition to the franchise.  Once we meet David and are brought to his laboratory of sorts my issues with the film begin to rise.  I really enjoyed Prometheus and liked the questions it had me asking.  It opened up the universe and asked philosophical questions that were deep and existential, it was very much a movie about exploring and discovering.  I was ready for some of my questions to be answered in Covenant even if it was only a few.  The grand feeling of Prometheus is gone and Shaw is killed off like she is nothing.  We get some idea to what happened and Im glad the movie leaves me with questions but this time around the questions are not ones that have too much depth.  The protomorph is my biggest issue with the film, from its sped up life cycle to the CGI used it just did not live up to films of the past.  It was not terrible but it was underwhelming and has left me disappointed.  The film could have benefited from a slower third act that built up tension and explored the reasoning behind Davids choices and creations.  I do like the ending of the film and how it shows the true dark and grim nature of the Alien universe.  Again I think the film is enjoyable and is worthy to be in the franchise but it felt a little rushed at the end, with the protomorph feeling shoehorned in to please the people who wanted Aliens in the film.  The film was just a little too rushed it would have been better off taking things slow and saving the reveal of the original xenomoprh for the final prequal and could have benefited from being more of a Prometheus sequel than an Alien prequel.       

szkoki

szkoki

Hi all,

I'm a new member so I apologize in advance if I make some mistakes regarding board/posting norms. I teach college level classes in Media Studies and have a background in Film/TV along with degrees in the aforementioned fields and the social sciences.  Since Hollywood movies aren't always respected by those in higher learning, I thought I would feel more at home with fellow Alien fans rather than writing/discussing in other places.

Just saw Alien: Covenant last night. After viewing it, I was impressed with how everything is starting to connect with the entire Alien universe. This connection is occurring at both a plot and thematic/philosophical level. I was particularly stunned at how Scott was still able to thread the philosophical nature of Prometheus with pacing/horror of the original series - all in an attempt to assuage Prometheus' critics.

David's name and birth - Why call Fassbender's android David? Many speculated that this follows the series' alphabetical android naming process. We have Ash (letter A) in Alien, Bishop in Aliens/Alien 3 (Letter B), and Call in Alien: Resurrection (letter C). Prometheus follows the pattern by giving the letter D it's due. However, Alien: Covenant breaks this pattern with Walter (letter W). Why?

Part 1:
We learn that David is named after the famous Michelangelo statue. This greatly changes the meaning of his name. The David statue is important on two levels:

The naming part is just a tribute to David Giler and Walter Hill

Gash

Gash

Quote from: szkoki on May 20, 2017, 06:59:32 PM

Hi all,

Part 1:

Well, that covers Walter, but not so much David.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: szkoki on May 20, 2017, 06:59:32 PM

Hi all,

Part 1:

Walter is but David is more than that, hence why he looks at the statue and then selects his name

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 05:08:54 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2017, 04:07:58 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

While I don't hate Covenant, I don't like the direction it's setting up to go in. I'm with you in that I hope they give it to someone else who actually wants to make Alien films. Not David films with Aliens tacked on. And I love David. I'd rather Scott had been able to make an Alien-less film focusing around David and the Neomorphs.

And everybody would be bitching that no Xenomorphs appear in it so it would be pointless even calling it Alien whatever. Prometheus already did that and look how it turned out. This is the Alien franchise - NOT the Prometheus franchise.

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 04:26:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2017, 04:07:58 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM
If this is what the remaining Alien films going forward are going to be, than I don't really know how to feel. It's hard to believe the same person who made Alien made this. Then again, that was  nearly 40 years ago, Scott is a different person. But honestly, I'd rather keep in the tradition of the classic films and allow new visionary directors make Alien movies, because Ridley doesn't seem like he wants to.

While I don't hate Covenant, I don't like the direction it's setting up to go in. I'm with you in that I hope they give it to someone else who actually wants to make Alien films. Not David films with Aliens tacked on. And I love David. I'd rather Scott had been able to make an Alien-less film focusing around David and the Neomorphs.

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 03:51:45 PM
QuoteIf it comes out.  Lets see how this movie holds up second week. 
Of course it will, they're going to start filming within 14 months or so. But if you don't want that then you're a f**kING MORON!

Can I also remind everyone to conduct themselves with some sense of maturity? I'm so bored of having to remind people to act like adults. We won't all agree (obviously) but we can disagree like grown-ups without resorting to insults. If anyone feels they can't act in such a fashion, I suggest they don't post.

Sorry Hicks but the amount of haters here is just baffling. And this is a site for Alien and Predator fans?! You count me out! - Hudson-

You must not leave Snake! We have to defend this fantastic movie from the onslaught.
Hell yeah. I will defend this movie to the death. Instead of complaining like b*tches (which is just too easy!) we should all be damn grateful for the latest installment of the franchise!

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

^ Yawn ::)

Snake

Snake

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 20, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
Is that the best you got? Pathetic...

szkoki

szkoki

@Snake

- Alien Franchise

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Snake on May 20, 2017, 07:38:22 PM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 20, 2017, 07:33:59 PM
Is that the best you got? Pathetic...

You haven't given anything better.

bioweapon

bioweapon

Quote from: Stolen on May 09, 2017, 10:04:17 PM
3.5/5

Very strange movie

Part 1 : too long
Part 2 : scary in several ways
Part 3 : too fast

Finally, everything that touches the monster is less interesting.
Everything about David is fantastic.

It's a nightmarish continuation of Prometheus, incredible, unhealthy, frustrating.
It's an alien film terribly banal, sometimes superb (backburster), sometimes debilitated (Rosenthal, Shower scene)

The film is dark, really, and the sets are fantastic.

I love this review, and some others that are like 4/5 stars.

For me, It has so visual and force that could put ir right there with ALIENS, some scenes are similar and we could say is a ripoff but lets put it better in a homage.

And thats one of the things Ridley is caring more, a homage about everything.

Think about this:

David and his experimentation like a Giger's life. Experimenting with drawings, with art.

2001 Odyssey - Stanley Kubrick. Alien has a lot of this movie, and the Covenant gets back to this progressing the concepts. exciting

The Shaw dead - Newt/Hicks in A3. Also, check it out Shaw was little old when David put her in cryo, so maybe she live all of this years.

Aside all this, David superb...

Minor things:

CGI effects - Neomorphs could be better
2 hour mark. It has to be FOX execs. Theres a lot of material out there ala Prometheus, that could put a 3 hour movie with diferent paces

Thats all for the moment

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Alien>Aliens>Alien 3 (Director's Cut)>Alien Covenant>Prometheus>Alien Resurrection>AVP>AVPR

That's how I rank the movies

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed