Life Cycle Mode - What did you like/What would you change?

Started by Moosh89, Dec 23, 2016, 12:32:40 AM

Author
Life Cycle Mode - What did you like/What would you change? (Read 2,893 times)

Moosh89

Hey guys! Been a long time since I was active here! Miss you all!

I've been watching videos on YouTube of Life Cycle in AvP2. Got me thinking, What did you guys like the most about it? and what would you change if you had to change something?

Let's do top 3 for each!

Annnnd GO!

windebieste

Welcome back Moosh.  You da gal! 

I like the fact that the life cycle exists in the game and in Multiplayer has a progression to it; and depending on who gets ganked will determine what form of Alien you emerge as.  No one has attempted anything like it since. 

-Windebieste.

Moosh89

Thanks for the warm welcome, Windie!! So awesome to browse the forums here and see familiar posters still going!

I saw that in the videos! I never got to enjoy AvP2. Can you elaborate on that mechanic? Who spawns which variant?

Does the Queen have any special abilities? The video I saw, she was just tail stabbing people to death

x-M-x

Life cycle exists in the game, but not many servers have this enabled (for obvious reasons  :D)

Still they where the days.  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Welcome back, Moosh.  :)

I like the intent behind the cycle and the general inclusion. Pretty much everything Winde said is something I love about it.

Just always used to bug the hell out of me having to pay attention to the floor when playing anything other than marine.  :laugh:

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: x-M-x on Dec 23, 2016, 03:55:43 AM
Life cycle exists in the game, but not many servers have this enabled (for obvious reasons  :D)

I'm curious to know better these obvious Reasons

x-M-x

Quote from: Lucifero on Dec 23, 2016, 04:52:08 PM

There's a few.... but one of the main reasons is.. everyone just kills the chestburster before she even spawns into a full xeno.

lol

Lucifero

Lucifero

I remember the old vanilla and anti sk protection system.
in short alien chestburster immortal for several second to be able to run away or hide.
good old days.
Lucifer *sighs*

time passes but my favouirete alien life-cycle mode  remains AVP2 lifecicle.
perhaps the most unbalanced, but the most beautiful of all.
Spoiler

Le Celticant

I'm going to repeat myself and sounds like an Evangelist but, if you're interested in Life Cyle plays, you could probably check AJL R3. The lifecycle system is kickass there. You can lay eggs that either spawn AI Facehugger (if lifecycle is off) or be a spawn point (if lifecycle is on).
There's also all this development like the cutscene of AVP2 where you're inside somebody's chest eating him from the inside (I always loved that little nasty cutscene lol)
Might worth a look if you find a game.

Moosh89

So, not really any negative points about AvP2 Life Cycle mode then?

I don't have the game so I can't check out any mods or anything, sadly. YouTube is all I have.

Still is there anything you guys would ADD to Life Cycle? Clearly yes, because there's mods available.

What do you guys think of a gestation period like in Alien: Resurrection?

*Edit* Thanks for the welcome back, everyone!

Lucifero

Quote from: Moosh89 on Dec 23, 2016, 09:47:11 PM
So, not really any negative points about AvP2 Life Cycle mode then?

I don't have the game so I can't check out any mods or anything, sadly.

do not be sad it's Christmas!
you can always download the game for free and try it,
does not matter if you want to try just single player or multiplayer.

any negative points???
wish a mass extinction of the human race?? XD
I repeat I think it is absolutely the most unbalanced mode of this game.
definitely a non-competitive mode, but only for pure fun.
be downsides if you go beyond the concept that the alien life cycle, and then kill with facugger be a little like making love with the enemy.

deeply perverted as a concept! damnation always love more this game XD

windebieste

It's been a decade since I've played the game in MP, but I always enjoyed the feature.  Let's see if I can get his straight.

Alien Life Cycle was a server side option.  When on, it meant you could spawn as a facehugger and go hunt down your victim.  Facehuggers had big advantages... They're relatively small, fast and difficult to hit.  So, mobility was a big factor to a hugger's survival.

Once a victim had been ganked by hugger, they would fall to the ground and become inert, apparently dead.  This would be the case for a few seconds, then the fallen body would arch its back and the Player would spawn as a chestburster.  'Bursters of course were small and had the advantage of speed and that's about it.  Their biggest problem was other Human or Pred Players would camp on sites where other dead Players had been recently facehugged thus scoring a quick and fast kill on the freshly emerged Alien.

If you survived such encounters you could run off and morph into a full size adult Alien.  Then you could turn the tables and become the hunter.  Later, if the server kills threshold was met, you could become a Queen.  and that was always fun!  The Queen's tail was lethal, sure, but the Bitch was a massive target and easily taken down at range by multiple Players. 

There's a really cool strategy when playing TDM with the life cycle on.  Playiing as a team of facehuggers, always roam the map together and let one facehugger gank a victim.  Then, have the other hugger hide nearby.  Sooner or later someone will come along, see the facehugged body and expect an easy kill.  What they won't expect is the 2nd hugger coming out of concealment to slap them in the face and shove a boner down their neck.  Always fun at (LAN) parties.

Another good strategy was to wait until a human or Pred player entered a darkened area and then gank them.  The chances of you being spotted are reduced (Notwithstanding vision modes, of course.)

Finally, the kind of Alien you became was dependent upon what class you ganked.  Marines became Drones.  Mercs became Runners.  Preds became Predaliens.  This was sooo cool!  The inclusion of the Life Cycle meant Aliens had an additional 3 playable classes (Hugger, 'Burster and Queen.) added to their existing roster of 4 thus making the total playable number of classes in the game up to 19. 

I don't think there's too much to change, really.  I'm sure that some mods tweak the feature, but there's not a lot you would want.  Maybe have an intermediate morphing of the Praetorian between the Drone and Queen, but nothing too dramatic was needed. 

Fun mode.  Must play.

-Windebieste.

Randomizer

Quote from: x-M-x on Dec 23, 2016, 04:54:11 PM
Quote from: Lucifero on Dec 23, 2016, 04:52:08 PM

There's a few.... but one of the main reasons is.. everyone just kills the chestburster before she even spawns into a full xeno.

lol

Playing as the chestburster was supposed to be a fun stealth section of the singleplayer campaign. In multiplayer however it is a literal nightmare.  :D

windebieste

It was best suited to TDM games.  Especially when Alien players would protect such sites where humans/preds were lying on the ground, infected.  Having Alien players take on such a protective role added a terrific element to the game.  Protect the corpse and add another Alien to their ranks. 

Definitely not so much fun in straight up free for all DM matches.  Full grown Aliens swatting out poor little 'bursters was just a troll fest.

-Windebieste.

Moosh89

Thanks for the explanations guys!

So in theory, if Life Cycle were it's own mode, it would be enjoyable if:

- Chestbursters had a 3 second immunity after bursting to give them a chance to get away, thus reducing body camping.
- It was Team based, not a straight up Deathmatch
- Teamwork on both sides (Humans/Aliens) was rewarded

Tell me more of what you would like to see in a dedicated Life Cycle mode.

How about:

- Ticket based? Aliens can choose to capture humans to be hosts for eggs. Humans can find fellow cocooned teammates and free them, which would buy back tickets for whichever side.
- Queen can summon two AI controlled warriors to protect her. Can also spawn eggs around the map which can be spawn points for teammates.

Life Form Succession suggestion:

- Facehugger > (1 kill) Chestburster > (30-45 second survival/Eating) '79 Alien or A3 Runner Alien (selectable) > (3 killstreak) '86 Warrior Alien > (+5 killstreak) Queen.

Eating as a Chestburster would reduce the morphing time by 3-5 seconds for each body/bite eaten but also leaves you vulnerable

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed