The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,220 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 21, 2016, 09:11:37 AM
He didn't tease it.

Wasn't referring to the Auriga scene but something else PredXeno alluded to.

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 23, 2016, 06:21:13 PM
I'm glad it wasn't an alien race who were the antagonists, that sounds too corny to me, then again mind control is even more corny and for some reason that made it into the book. :(

You know that seems to be a common trope in the Alien franchise. Mind controlled Xenomorphs.. I could only think of one or two instances that's happened but are there any others?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 23, 2016, 09:59:57 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 21, 2016, 09:11:37 AM
He didn't tease it.

Wasn't referring to the Auriga scene but something else PredXeno alluded to.

I know - you were talking about the multiverse. Lebbon didn't tease it. It was just a throwaway comment.

QuoteYou know that seems to be a common trope in the Alien franchise. Mind controlled Xenomorphs.. I could only think of one or two instances that's happened but are there any others?

What instances can you think of?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 23, 2016, 10:11:31 PM
I know - you were talking about the multiverse. Lebbon didn't tease it. It was just a throwaway comment.

Which is quite a shame.. My opinion though. I mean I know he put it in there to show how far the Founders progressed but... I feel like now it's a wasted opportunity. Maybe then I wouldn't be so angry.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 23, 2016, 10:11:31 PM
What instances can you think of?

In the over all EU, encompassing both old and new... excluding crossovers, I can only remember Evolution being the only case. I know there were more but I just can't really remember. The whole idea of controlling Xenomorphs has always been there though, either taming, genetic manipulation.. What have you, it's been there for years.

predxeno

Didn't the Predators in Three World War use pheromones or something?  Also, the artifact in AVP2: Primal Hunt was allegedly capable of controlling their minds.  I was actually talking about mind controlling humans that was too corny.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 23, 2016, 10:22:50 PM
Didn't the Predators in Three World War use pheromones or something?  Also, the artifact in AVP2: Primal Hunt was allegedly capable of controlling their minds.

Yup! I completely forgot about Three World War, as for Primal Hunt.. I never played that! So there is that too!

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 23, 2016, 10:22:50 PM
I was actually talking about mind controlling humans that was too corny.

Then shoulder we consider the K-Series Aliens from Extinction as Humans attempting to control Xenomorphs as well?

predxeno

Idk, were they actually able to control them?  I thought the K-Series just went rampant everywhere.

Perfect-Organism

The Aliens in Aliens: Book 2 by Den Beauvais were controlled by General Spears.... Until he lost control.

Corporal Hicks

Well...they weren't really controlled.

Randomizer

More like dedicated, I'd say. The illusion of serving a Queen.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. They (the Queen) was just playing along.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 24, 2016, 04:12:58 PM
Indeed. They (the Queen) was just playing along.

True.

Though through one means or another, the whole theme of the alien stories has mostly been about man tryin to figure out how to harness the aliens.  "Mind control" is just one facet of a grand tapestry.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 24, 2016, 04:12:58 PMIndeed. They (the Queen) was just playing along.

I've always wondered why. To get to Earth? Did they know that was where Spears were headed? It didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

The Alien Predator

On the topic of mind controlling humans.

Hicks mentioned earlier that
Spoiler
the ones who were controlled were hinted to have been influenced beforehand. The scientist woman was kind of implied to have been a descendant of the Founders who stayed behind. Only specific people receive the "illuminate our way" message. If they could control humans easily, why not spread it across the entire Human Sphere of Influence? Why specific people?
[close]

So I disagree PredXeno, it wasn't corny for me. I feel that it was done quite well and shows the real threat posed by this faction even from great distances.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 25, 2016, 09:03:05 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 24, 2016, 04:12:58 PMIndeed. They (the Queen) was just playing along.

I've always wondered why. To get to Earth? Did they know that was where Spears were headed? It didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

I don't think it was to get to Earth. It was just that moment when she could turn the tables and get her own freedom, one way or the other.

predxeno

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 25, 2016, 03:33:19 PM
On the topic of mind controlling humans.

Hicks mentioned earlier that
Spoiler
the ones who were controlled were hinted to have been influenced beforehand. The scientist woman was kind of implied to have been a descendant of the Founders who stayed behind. Only specific people receive the "illuminate our way" message. If they could control humans easily, why not spread it across the entire Human Sphere of Influence? Why specific people?
[close]

So I disagree PredXeno, it wasn't corny for me. I feel that it was done quite well and shows the real threat posed by this faction even from great distances.

Well as you said, it was "implied" as opposed to outright stated so I didn't really take that into account, either way I don't really like the direction the Rage War is taking the series; the universe feels very different from the one presented in previous EU and since previous EU include all sorts of comic book type stories, that's saying something..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed