Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 31,071 times)

Local Trouble

Isn't Amanda Ripley on par with Commander Shepard?

The Old One

The Old One

You already know the answer is no.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2019, 11:58:38 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 03, 2019, 11:40:40 PM
Who threw the time traveling, Predator killer Ripley pearl?  ;D

I'm pretty sure they hired this kid to write that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs

Okay that was funny. :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Gold. lol

Kimarhi

Amanda Ripley was fine as a character.  She's no deeper or shallow than her mom was after the first movie.

People also have the tendency to insert their selves into every fps character regardless of whether or not the character is male/female or what color race it is. 

Vs 3rd person where everybody remembers Joel/Ellie, Nathan Drake, or Lara Croft. 

Shepard could be a little different if you changed the character to reflect you at the beginning of the game, or whether or not you left him/her standard.  And the fact they had three games to develop the character in. 

I really don't mind they are taking Ripley jr and running with her because she was the only face to latch onto to sell the EU media outside of Zulu.

They did the same thing with Ripley, Newt, and Hicks in the 80's. 

You don't NEED those characters to sell everything, in theory you should be able to sell your product without linking back to other products in the series.............but it is a whole lot easier if you do. 

They tried their own original characters in that mediocre aliens/predators/prometheus crossover and everybody really enjoyed that......

The Old One

The Old One

People don't care for Fire and Stone because it's nonsense, not because the main character isn't a relation of Ellen Ripley, otherwise I agree. Plenty of A/P stories prospered without nostalgic emulation. (TCF for one.)
The most major criticism of the Titan Alien novel Trilogy I hear apart from tonal dissonance and telepathy, is the forced inclusion of Ripley/Ripley related people.

Kimarhi

They got Amanda in a more believable way.  I kind of see it. 

If she had feelers out there looking for her mom, I could see that she could follow them back to the exact same end point.  To me that makes sense.  If you sleuth well enough, it would lead back to the same conclusion.

But again, given her character development you could've put any other random person in and done the same thing. 

Amanda just didn't bother me one way or the other. 

Local Trouble

Where were you when you played Isolation?

SM

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 04, 2019, 09:37:44 PM

If she had feelers out there looking for her mom, I could see that she could follow them back to the exact same end point.  To me that makes sense.  If you sleuth well enough, it would lead back to the same conclusion.

But again, given her character development you could've put any other random person in and done the same thing. 

Searching for and finding the flight recorder wouldn't have had the same impact if it was just some rando. 

I was very against them using Amanda when Isolation was announced, but did a 180 once the game came out and I saw how they handled it.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 12:08:19 AM

UK.

Quote from: SM on Aug 05, 2019, 01:50:25 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 04, 2019, 09:37:44 PM

Searching for and finding the flight recorder wouldn't have had the same impact if it was just some rando. 

I was very against them using Amanda when Isolation was announced, but did a 180 once the game came out and I saw how they handled it.

Yes but I can buy Amanda actually wanting to find the flight recorder.

Even though you could say some corporate person could have just as easily.

Huggs

I still have a hard time believing a flight recorder survived that blast. Unless it was jettisoned early as an automated function included in the self destruct program.

Kimarhi

I don't see why something like that wouldn't happen. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 05, 2019, 01:54:34 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 12:08:19 AM

UK.

You certainly get around.  Was that during leave?

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 05, 2019, 01:54:34 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 05, 2019, 01:50:25 AMSearching for and finding the flight recorder wouldn't have had the same impact if it was just some rando. 

Yes but I can buy Amanda actually wanting to find the flight recorder.

Even though you could say some corporate person could have just as easily.

Or a friend/relative of any of the other Nostromo crewmembers.  It's a false dilemma to say it had to be either a Ripley or a rando.

Hell, they could have conceptualized Zula as a Parker (for example).

SM

No one suggested it had to be an either/ or.

Local Trouble

I know you didn't, but it seemed worth mentioning that there were five other people on the Nostromo who may have had family as haunted about their fate as Amanda was about her mother's.

Even the science officer that Ash replaced would have been an interesting alternative.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed