FOX's Line Between Pre & Post Canon

Started by Denton Smalls, Apr 13, 2018, 05:08:58 PM

Author
FOX's Line Between Pre & Post Canon (Read 5,208 times)

SM

SM

AvP is cinematically tainted.

Xenomrph

Quote from: gantarat on Apr 16, 2018, 05:58:19 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2018, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: gantarat on Apr 15, 2018, 02:50:14 PM
What the point to Make Canon EU If Fox let Ridley Make movies that contradict EU Story anyway ?

'Cos the big money is in films, and Ridley Scott brings a certain amount of capital.

The desire is to have cohesion between films and licensed material, but you don't hire Riddles and then tell him 'you can't do that, because it will contradict some comic'.

As LT said, once he's done with the films it may be simpler.

AvP Cinematic Universe is coming
Coming? It's already here. :P

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 15, 2018, 11:28:57 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM
You don't think they'll go for "fuzzy continuity?"

Frankly I think they would.

Even if SM is on the team?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2018, 10:45:13 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 15, 2018, 11:28:57 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM
You don't think they'll go for "fuzzy continuity?"

Frankly I think they would.

Even if SM is on the team?
I don't know why that would make a difference.

Local Trouble

Would SM go for "fuzzy continuity?"

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2018, 11:10:10 AM
If Fox did, would it matter?

Local Trouble

We're talking about a Fox that's been acquired by Disney.  Disney has tighter controls over the continuity of their IPs.

SM

SM

I don't even know what that is.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2018, 11:14:30 AM

I don't even know what that is.

Xenomrphism.

SM

SM

Ah.  Righto.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2018, 11:13:46 AM
We're talking about a Fox that's been acquired by Disney.  Disney has tighter controls over the continuity of their IPs.
The ink isn't even dry on an acquisition we know nothing about, we don't even know if the Alien IP is involved in the acquisition or not.

Disney only seems to have a "tight control" over the Star Wars IP. The Marvel comics, arguably their most lucrative IP right now, is (and always has been) all over the place when it comes to continuity. The Marvel multiverse quite literally ascribes to "fuzzy continuity", in the sense that strict continuity falls to the wayside 100% of the time when compared to storytelling.

If Disney acquires the Alien IP, and somehow says "we're going to treat this like Star Wars", does that mean they never hire Ridley Scott ever again? Because as you noted, Ridley Scott doesn't give a shit about continuity. :P

Local Trouble

You may want to go back to page 2 and start from the top.

Xenomrph

You may want to go back to midway through page 1. Seeya when you get back here. :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2018, 11:08:03 AM
Riddles is 80 and I'm taking the long view.

Xenomrph

So... what? Do they not care about continuity until after he stops? Even then, who's to say they take the Star Wars approach, when they don't bother with any of their other IPs? Even if they did, what's to stop them from doing what they did with Star Wars and hitting the reset button?
Not to mention all of this is if they even got the Alien IP to begin with.

It's almost as if there's too many variables to even make an educated prediction. All we know right now is that with Riddles at the helm, strict continuity doesn't matter, and yet multiple seemingly-contradictory sources (including one SM consulted on) are still considered "canon" by The Powers That Be.

Or in other words,

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 15, 2018, 03:52:58 PM
It's almost as if canon is a meaningless construct on a macro level, and isn't a useful concept for fans. :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed