In The News (Read 1,407,554 times)

Aspie

Cvalda

Cvalda

Aspie

Aspie

BANE

BANE

Do they realize there are 49 other states and several other countries tuning in?

Aspie

Aspie

I hate this "protecting the cultural climate" shit. If people in Boston don't wanna watch, then they don't gotta tune in.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: ShadowPred on Apr 19, 2013, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 19, 2013, 10:24:01 PM
'Christianist' is a thing?

It's a person who is a follower of Christ and his teachings, but completely does the opposite of what Christ taught and such.
So, Christians.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2013, 10:47:37 PM

It's a person who is a follower of Christ and his teachings, but completely does the opposite of what Christ taught and such.
So, Christians.

Pretty much, I don't see the difference at all to be honest, but there you have it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 19, 2013, 02:55:36 AM
I would still disagree with you. A bombing back home is a way to destabilize the country and government which causes unrest, which could very well lead to a military coup or something similar thereby allowing a terrorist group to assume power.

Their MO in this case may be typical but the target is still highly dubious. Compared to 9/11, something like this isn't big enough to make any kind of statement.

Neither should 7/7 have been, here in the UK. Still happened, though. Relatively trivial target there, too.

Go watch 'Four Lions'. Hilarious comedy, but the mindset exhibited by the characters is literally how it is a lot of the time. :)

Phase 1: Kill infidels.
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Prophet! Bask in theological self-assurance.

Ironically, it's now being carried by a few places that at least one of them was influenced by one of those preachers who had condemned the 'Harry Potter' series for promoting 'witchcraft' and such like. Trouble is, there are an awful lot of those on State-run television in the Middle East (broadcasts of which get filtered out in viral fashion through terrorist sponsored/sympathising Web sites), who talk so much shit that certain demographics have been desensitised to it for decades. Places like MEMRI do a great job of cataloguing the really alarming stuff (the suicide-bombing HAMAS version of Mickey Mouse, telling children it's their duty to slaughter Jews in the name of God, is a classic), but there are countless examples.

I still think the solution to all of this religious craziness will ultimately be comedy. When people feel free enough to lampoon both their oppressors and what's being preached, asking questions will no longer be a taboo in those societies and the rest will follow through.

Trouble is, you need at least a limited climate of freedom of speech to allow that to happen. :-\

BANE

BANE

Quote from: ShadowPred on Apr 19, 2013, 10:52:01 PM

So, Christians.

Pretty much, I don't see the difference at all to be honest, but there you have it.
???

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: BANE on Apr 19, 2013, 11:05:43 PM

So, Christians.

???

I'm just now starting to realize that my sentence can be interpreted in two ways, so I'll just make myself clear here:

What I meant by that is that I agree with Sil. (short version)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

So, Christians.

I think that is a little harsh. Joke or not.

Where I grew up most people were either atheists or more or less secular Christians, Muslims and Jews. I knew a few Hasidic Jews and my cousins are somewhat "scary Christians" who married even "scarier Christians" (Evangelical something something). To me there has always been an obvious difference between secularized people, everyday believers and fundamentalists. I think it's unfair and brutal to throw the former two in the same basket as the latter.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Apr 19, 2013, 11:30:49 PM

So, Christians.

I think that is a little harsh. Joke or not.

Where I grew up most people were either atheists or more or less secular Christians, Muslims and Jews. I knew a few Hasidic Jews and my cousins are somewhat "scary Christians" who married even "scarier Christians" (Evangelical something something). To me there has always been an obvious difference between secularized people, everyday believers and fundamentalists. I think it's unfair and brutal to throw the former two in the same basket as the latter.

I personally don't think it's unfair to say that they fall under the same label. I have never seen any single "true believer" do anything that wasn't the opposite of what Christ taught. Whether they are extreme, or very slight acts of doing the opposite things that he taught, they still fall under the same label to me. Sure you can call them "radical christians" and all that, but I'm just saying, to me, they still fall under the same category regardless of what they do.

BANE

BANE

Well that's just wrong.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Aspie on Apr 19, 2013, 10:35:31 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57580497/nbc-pulls-hannibal-episode-in-wake-of-boston-bombings/

God. Damn. It.

So, Christians.

no... ?

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: ShadowPred on Apr 19, 2013, 11:37:16 PM
I personally don't think it's unfair to say that they fall under the same label. I have never seen any single "true believer" do anything that wasn't the opposite of what Christ taught. Whether they are extreme, or very slight acts of doing the opposite things that he taught, they still fall under the same label to me. Sure you can call them "radical christians" and all that, but I'm just saying, to me, they still fall under the same category regardless of what they do.

I have met plenty of people who are perfectly fine, nice and tolerant people who respect my way of life. I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one around here who has experienced lots of religious people who aren't intolerant and ignorant crazies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed