Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 620,378 times)

TC

TC

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 13, 2018, 02:16:12 PM
Been spending too much time on the net lately due to stress. Stayed up way too late last night before I realized what had happened.

Stress is no good. But I decided long ago YouTube, Reddit, etc. and social media is not a good fix for that. Being unproductive makes me stressed.

Strangely enough, a TV show, movie, book, or listening to music doesn't count as unproductive, probably because it's more or less scheduled in some way.

What I'm saying is, I learned a long time ago that, for me, the www is a HUUUUUUGE time waster.

Unfortunately it's also indispensable.

When I'm doing contract work I need it for communicating with clients, exchanging work assets, research, etc. And then there's all its personal uses, of course. But it's so easy to be suckered into frittering away valuable time, achieving... nothing.

This AVPGalaxy forum is a case in point. I think my habits are like most people who subscribed in. I show up for brief flurries of activity, then I disappear for weeks, months, maybe even a year, because I get busy - often with work but just as often other personal stuff. In those periods I usually check in now and then just to read but if that goes on for a week or more I simply get out of the habit of posting.

There are maybe a dozen members on this forum who seem to be permanently stationed here judging by the frequency of posts (besides the moderators, of course). And I mean years of consistent  and regular posts. Respect  :)  How on earth do they manage that?

TC

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: TC on Aug 25, 2018, 02:17:09 PM
There are maybe a dozen members on this forum who seem to be permanently stationed here judging by the frequency of posts (besides the moderators, of course). And I mean years of consistent  and regular posts. Respect  :)  How on earth do they manage that?

Short concise posts, telegram style. Stop. Look at SM and SiL's posts for example. Stop. They take laconancy to a whole new level. Stop. Respect. Stop.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 25, 2018, 04:45:21 PM

Short concise posts, telegram style. Stop. Look at SM and SiL's posts for example. Stop. They take laconancy to a whole new level. Stop. Respect. Stop.

Quite....stahp.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

This AVPGalaxy forum is a case in point. I think my habits are like most people who subscribed in. I show up for brief flurries of activity, then I disappear for weeks, months, maybe even a year, because I get busy - often with work but just as often other personal stuff. In those periods I usually check in now and then just to read but if that goes on for a week or more I simply get out of the habit of posting.

This is the same for me. I love the ALIEN franchise and enjoy talking with like minded people. I stayed away when Covenant was released as I didn't want to chance any spoilers. I'm always grateful for the folks that warn you of it. :)

My enthusiasm will very but I always come back to it. 8)

I like PREDATOR the first one being my favorite like ALIEN. But ALIEN is my favorite franchise & I'm just not into the AvP aspect of it. I respect those that are. It's just not my cup of tea. :)

D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

5 more working days and the manager is back. I can't freaking wait. I'm so tired. Hopefully I'm gonna book the week after off.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

There are times where I feel stressed because I'm not productive, and times where I need to be unproductive in order to let my brain drain and clean itself.

I put myself on a hard deadline when it comes to writing and posting stuff, primarily with FF.net. When I graduated, I made it a personal goal to publish a new chapter every other day, and so far, I've kept that. I'm glad I can keep that kind of goal, especially since I'm pressing myself to write longer and longer chapters. I've told myself not to pander to the readers, but there are times where it feels like the things they say are good ideas, or they really like a certain character and I decide to give that character some more "page-time," so to say.

Lately, I've been worried because feedback slowed down tremendously. I panic because I don't know what's wrong with the story, and I keep criticizing myself too harshly over plot elements, character decisions, things that were supposed to included but aren't, etc. It's like I'm going in circles. Occasionally, I tell myself to just keep going, make it better, and people will comment again. Nothing's wrong!

Like, right now, I should be working, and I'm not. I don't know if I should just push myself to write, or wait until I actually have the motivation.

Lie

Lie

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Sep 03, 2018, 02:24:30 PM
There are times where I feel stressed because I'm not productive, and times where I need to be unproductive in order to let my brain drain and clean itself.

I put myself on a hard deadline when it comes to writing and posting stuff, primarily with FF.net. When I graduated, I made it a personal goal to publish a new chapter every other day, and so far, I've kept that. I'm glad I can keep that kind of goal, especially since I'm pressing myself to write longer and longer chapters. I've told myself not to pander to the readers, but there are times where it feels like the things they say are good ideas, or they really like a certain character and I decide to give that character some more "page-time," so to say.

Lately, I've been worried because feedback slowed down tremendously. I panic because I don't know what's wrong with the story, and I keep criticizing myself too harshly over plot elements, character decisions, things that were supposed to included but aren't, etc. It's like I'm going in circles. Occasionally, I tell myself to just keep going, make it better, and people will comment again. Nothing's wrong!

Like, right now, I should be working, and I'm not. I don't know if I should just push myself to write, or wait until I actually have the motivation.

I don't write but the idea of "pushing yourself to write" doesn't sound like it would produce your best work, I lean more to the idea of waiting to you have inspiration or motivation, cause it'll feed itself if it's something you enjoy writing about. I hope you find this helpful.

SM

SM

Push yourself.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

I came back from the dead to say Predator (2018) is fun and yall be weak.

The Old One

The Old One

Fun schlock.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Sep 03, 2018, 02:24:30 PM

If you're able to output that much, why are you writing on FF.net? And not for a novel? Most people can only dream of getting out a chapter every other day (or maybe that's just me).

But that's some impressive work - I'd encourage you to do your own thing. Be interested to see what you're doing on FF, that said.

SM

SM

QuoteIf you're able to output that much, why are you writing on FF.net? And not for a novel?

Indeed.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

A new podcast episode, on Halloween scripts, is up.

Huggs

Huggs

Started reconnecting with my minimalist side over the weekend. I was a die hard minimalist for many years, but had really started a backwards slide over the last year or two without realizing it. For some lucky reason, it popped into my head the other day. Feels good to be putting both hands back on the wheel again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed