What series is more developed Simpsons or Family Guy?

Started by xenoguy12, Jun 07, 2007, 04:33:37 PM

Author
What series is more developed Simpsons or Family Guy? (Read 6,583 times)

Noir-Gojira

...we've seen many different versions of how Marge and Homer met and got married and all that.

And yet with the exception of the Halloween specials, all the episodes are still tied together in ridiculous continuity XD.

The Simpsons have gotten stale lately, but then again, let Family Guy run for the same amount of time and it would be no different.  As far as characters and plots go, Simpsons have had more time to ripen in development.

Alienseseses

I find it fun to watch Simpsons every now and then.

Which is more than I could say for FG.

xenoguy12

xenoguy12

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on Jun 18, 2007, 03:15:35 AM
...we've seen many different versions of how Marge and Homer met and got married and all that.

And yet with the exception of the Halloween specials, all the episodes are still tied together in ridiculous continuity XD.

The Simpsons have gotten stale lately, but then again, let Family Guy run for the same amount of time and it would be no different.  As far as characters and plots go, Simpsons have had more time to ripen in development.

Sure there are plotholes for the origins of characters in Simpsons but all the episodes are still tied together (Halloween episodes are not in continuity).

xenoguy12

xenoguy12

I'm gonna guess Corporal Hicks that you have never actually seen The Simpsons. After 400 episodes, I know many of the characters that had an episode based entirely around them. almost Every character has a background and at least one big event happen to them throughout the series. Whoever you heard that from has no idea what they are talking about. For many of the characters yes. Lisa is a perfect example. She started out as Bart's sidekick then turned into the only smart one in the family. Then she got episodes like Lisa the Vegitarian and She of little faith.

For some of the ones that just got listed no

Sideshow Mel
Sherri
Terri
Bumblebee Man
Frink
Lenny
Carl
Mr. Teenie
Rod
Todd
Mr. Largo
Mrs. Hoover
Dr. Hibbert
Dr. Nick
Maude (even though she's dead)
Martin (never really about HIM)
Duffman
Quimby
Helen Lovejoy

Those are just SOME of the characters that've never had their own episodes

aliensetta

aliensetta

Helen Lovejoy and Duffman had the their own episode. the others I'am not sure about.

SM

SM

QuoteI'm gonna guess Corporal Hicks that you have never actually seen The Simpsons.

What a moronic thing to say.

There are tribes in the highlands of New Guinea as yet untouched by western civilisation and even they've seen The Simpsons.  ::)

Irukandji

It's apples and oranges. The Simpsons have a thin thread of continuity whereas Family Guy doesn't, and even makes references to it (Peter's comment on Bonnie's being pregnant for several years) and has AFAIK, never intended or implied to have continuity though it still does sometimes.

Peter has gone through a few jobs ranging from the toy factory to a fisherman to his current job at the beer factory. His father has died. Cleveland got divorced, Meg had/has a relationsihp with the Mayor, Stewie's "sperm" brother was born. The girl Stewie fell in love with made a reappearence. I can go on and on but most of the time the continuity is left at the expense of the gags.

SM

Exactly.  The kids never seem to get older either.

They're both sitcoms.  They don't need deep character arcs or overly technical continuity.

Dachande

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2007, 11:59:46 PM
There are tribes in the highlands of New Guinea as yet untouched by western civilisation and even they've seen The Simpsons.  ::)

Quoted (for the most part) from Blackadder?

SM

No quoted from me.

Though it does sound like something Black Adder would say.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

I stand by what I said. Lisa is the only character to have gotten serious developement. Beyond that, Simpsons sucks and it's now stale. Family Guy is the way of the future.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2007, 12:48:27 AM
Though it does sound like something Black Adder would say.  ;D
It pretty much is, except the people were simians, the location was different, and he was talking about Mathematics, not having seen the Simpsons ;D

SM

Well there you go.  Musta been channeling.

xenoguy12

xenoguy12

Quotewe've seen many different versions of how Marge and Homer met and got married and all that.

Corporal Hicks there were only two stories of how they met. They met in high school, but it turned out later that they had actually met at summer camp as children, they just didn't realize it because Marge had brown hair at the time and Homer was using a fake name.

Corporal Hicks

The fact that in one episode each time Marge found out she was pregnant and Homer ripped his hair out, they were already in the house they live in now. And then there's the episode where they move to that house because Marge is preggers?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed