Author
AvPR vs A:R (Read 143,250 times)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 03:14:04 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 03, 2019, 03:04:30 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 03, 2019, 08:51:57 AM
Resurrection may not be a very good entry in the Alien series, but it's a least a competent, well-made and even entertaining movie in its own right.

I must have seen a different Alien Resurrection.

You have to be in a certain mood to watch A:R and not feel bad about yourself. You have to feel detached and not feel like taking things seriously.

Even if I watch it as a parody, which it is imo, it's brutal to watch, and I wonder why Sigourney agreed to this. I know they offered her a big paycheck, could that have been her motivation?  At least the parody on the otherside "The Predator" is taking the subject matter less seriously with levity and trying to make the audience laugh constantly - which is successful sometimes.

Nah, the Newborn and I agree, we'll take the blu-ray directors edition of AVPR over both of them any day.  (The I-can't-see-sh*t dvd or digital stream of AVPR, no way. But the blu director's cut, absolutely.)

https://media1.giphy.com/media/5lXtqw7tJh3eE/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c5704f84b346e52363ea60b

They're both nasty. I'm a little numb to the Newborn death, but only without sound. The stuff in AvP:R is unbearable. I'd rather watch Bill Paxton getting his spine ripped out in P2 for an hour while tied to a chair and my eyes forced open.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 03, 2019, 03:46:50 PM
Resurrection may not be a very good entry in the Alien series, but it's a least a competent, well-made and even entertaining movie in its own right.

You have to be in a certain mood to watch A:R and not feel bad about yourself. You have to feel detached and not feel like taking things seriously.

Even if I watch it as a parody, which it is imo, it's brutal to watch, and I wonder why Sigourney agreed to this. I know they offered her a big paycheck, could that have been her motivation?  At least the parody on the otherside "The Predator" is taking the subject matter less seriously with levity and trying to make the audience laugh constantly - which is successful sometimes.

Nah, the Newborn and I agree, we'll take the blu-ray directors edition of AVPR over both of them any day.  (The I-can't-see-sh*t dvd or digital stream of AVPR, no way. But the blu director's cut, absolutely.)

https://media1.giphy.com/media/5lXtqw7tJh3eE/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c5704f84b346e52363ea60b

They're both nasty. I'm a little numb to the Newborn death, but only without sound. The stuff in AvP:R is unbearable. I'd rather watch Bill Paxton getting his spine ripped out in P2 for an hour while tied to a chair and my eyes forced open.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I don't think A:R is a good Alien film, but I do think its an alright scifi film on its own. Its also competently made. AvPR could almost be confused as an asylum film.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 04:09:49 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 03, 2019, 03:46:50 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/dTnAK0vr83KTK/giphy.gif

Fight. Recess thread. Now.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 03, 2019, 02:53:27 PMI must have seen a different Alien Resurrection.

No, I stand by that assessment.

Is it a crap sequel to Alien/Aliens? Absolutely.

Is it a well-made, admittedly kooky sci-fi black comedy that's perfectly entertaining on those terms? Yes.

426Buddy gets it.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I agree, I think it works as a parody but even if you take it seriously, it is better film than AVP-R and The Predator, though I have only watched the latter twice, I still think the forth entry in the Alien series is far more coherent and better editted than the forth entry of the Predator series.

SM

SM

Quoteand I wonder why Sigourney agreed to this. I know they offered her a big paycheck, could that have been her motivation?

Because it was a new take on a familiar character.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Feb 03, 2019, 09:21:10 PM
Quoteand I wonder why Sigourney agreed to this. I know they offered her a big paycheck, could that have been her motivation?

Because it was a new take on a familiar character.

My question you quoted was more rhetorical.

Let's be frank though, if Weaver did do it for the gargantuan $11 Million payday, she likely wouldn't be hitting the press junket saying 'I came back for the money" after she said prior that three Alien films were enough. She likely would have said exactly what you are paraphrasing.  Plus, I remember reading back in the day that Alien Resurrection allowed her to do the small films she really wanted to do.

SM

SM

The simple answer (aside from the payday) was that she liked what Whedon did with the character.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It certainly doesn't feel like a performance turned in purely for a paycheck. Weaver is fantastic in the fourth film.

SM

SM

Indeed.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I still love the concept of the Ripley 8 character. I wish they'd have played more into the Alien connection like Crispin did the novelization but I sure am intrigued by her.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 04, 2019, 09:19:51 AM
I still love the concept of the Ripley 8 character. I wish they'd have played more into the Alien connection like Crispin did the novelization but I sure am intrigued by her.

Same here. Friedman did well with the concept in Aliens Original Sin as well.

SM

SM

Unfortunately the Ripley in that had largely regressed back to the one we meet at the start of Resurrection rather than the one at the end.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

How so?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed