Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jul 23, 2015, 10:49:34 PM

Author
Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn? (Read 16,309 times)

MrSpaceJockey

She looks absolutely fantastic right now but that doesn't mean she looks like 1986 Weaver.  That commercial is 8 years old now and it will be another year or so before they start filming.

Xenomorphine

Yep! I should have added 'Chappie' to that list. :)

Just remember, 'Aliens'-era Ripley didn't look like 'Alien'-era Ripley, either.

Jarac

Wow, that's her from Chappie? Seriously, she looks just fine. Set it 30 years in the future and saves a lot of headaches. And means money that could go to De-aging goes to somewhere more important. Like a good writing staff.

Corporal Hicks

I saw her in personal literally a week ago. She looks absolutely wonderful for her age.

MrSpaceJockey

Argh you guys are missing the point of the thread. 

I know Sigourney Weaver looks amazing, but this is more about whether or not Blomkamp's movie should use CGI to further tie it in with Aliens by making Siggy look like her 1986 self.  Same with Biehn, who has differed in appearance more drastically since.

And forget about the practicalities for a moment here.  After all, Arnold Schwarzenegger was digitally retouched for all of his scenes as Guardian in the 1984 segments of Terminator: Genisys.  Lola, the company behind aging Hayley Atwell in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and deaging Michael Douglas in Ant-Man, says the technology itself has not changed since its first appearance - only the skills behind creating a realistic looking face.  If we can have completely CG characters, films like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and looking at how damn good Michael Douglas looked in the beginning of Ant-Man, plus another few years before Alien 5 comes out, I don't think it's too far fetched to argue if this could happen.

My question is, should it happen?  Would you guys be interested in seeing that?  Would it be too forced to come up with a plot point to explain why Weaver and Biehn look different?  Or nah?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:12:41 PMMy question is, should it happen?  Would you guys be interested in seeing that?

No, because it will look fake and will cost a shit-ton of unnecessary money.

MrSpaceJockey

Seriously though, have you seen Ant-Man?  If you thought it looked fake in that movie, that's completely fine, difference of opinion and all, but I'm just asking because you didn't reply the first time I asked.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:12:41 PM
Argh you guys are missing the point of the thread. 

I know Sigourney Weaver looks amazing, but this is more about whether or not Blomkamp's movie should use CGI to further tie it in with Aliens by making Siggy look like her 1986 self.  Same with Biehn, who has differed in appearance more drastically since.

And forget about the practicalities for a moment here.  After all, Arnold Schwarzenegger was digitally retouched for all of his scenes as Guardian in the 1984 segments of Terminator: Genisys.  Lola, the company behind aging Hayley Atwell in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and deaging Michael Douglas in Ant-Man, says the technology itself has not changed since its first appearance - only the skills behind creating a realistic looking face.  If we can have completely CG characters, films like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and looking at how damn good Michael Douglas looked in the beginning of Ant-Man, plus another few years before Alien 5 comes out, I don't think it's too far fetched to argue if this could happen.

My question is, should it happen?  Would you guys be interested in seeing that?  Would it be too forced to come up with a plot point to explain why Weaver and Biehn look different?  Or nah?
It is all about execution if they execute why not but i would not mind an explanation but say it does not retconn Alien 3 and say it is set between Aliens and Alien 3 then maybe CGI is needed or maybe an explanation is due to the long stay in hypersleep when your body comes out your body is not ready to adjust to the new environment so the body ages quicker before adjusting.It may sound stupid but it is just an example but whatever just saying

Xenomorphine

None of us can say whether it should happen without knowing what the story is.

MrSpaceJockey

Uh, okay?  If we knew what the story was, then we'd automatically have the answer as to what they're going to do.  And where's the fun in speculating about shoulds and shouldn'ts when it comes to something that'd be set in stone?  This thread is just as much (if not more) about story speculation and opinions (the "should" in "should Alien 5 de-age Siggy and Biehn" is the same "should" in "should they address that 30 years have passed?", etc) as it is about the CGI that could help convey said story.

I'm just trying to get a discussion I find interesting rolling.  If it's not interesting to you, don't reply in it, I guess.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Why would it be a forced plot point to simply make the movie take place 30 years later? People age, it's the natural way of things.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:23:43 PMSeriously though, have you seen Ant-Man?  If you thought it looked fake in that movie, that's completely fine, difference of opinion and all, but I'm just asking because you didn't reply the first time I asked.

I've seen it. It still looked noticeably fake.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2015, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:23:43 PMSeriously though, have you seen Ant-Man?  If you thought it looked fake in that movie, that's completely fine, difference of opinion and all, but I'm just asking because you didn't reply the first time I asked.

I've seen it. It still looked noticeably fake.

Okay, fair enough!

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 27, 2015, 08:43:15 PM

Why would it be a forced plot point to simply make the movie take place 30 years later? People age, it's the natural way of things.

That's true.  I guess it's just a personal thing that I can't help but find a little forced.  Like, why would you bring these two characters back to fight Aliens 30 years after they last did that?  Like, they woke up, briefed the government and company about the Aliens, and however the government or company chose to act upon these facts wouldn't be relevant enough to go back to these same two characters for 30 years?  I dunno, do you have a good idea for how Blomkamp's film would reintroduce these characters?

City Hunter's idea about hypersleep malfunction is something I've thought about too.  Once again though, it's still an explanation - a contrivance to explain something that, if this movie was made instead of Alien 3, needn't exist.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:56:18 PM
That's true.  I guess it's just a personal thing that I can't help but find a little forced.  Like, why would you bring these two characters back to fight Aliens 30 years after they last did that?  Like, they woke up, briefed the government and company about the Aliens, and however the government or company chose to act upon these facts wouldn't be relevant enough to go back to these same two characters for 30 years?  I dunno, do you have a good idea for how Blomkamp's film would reintroduce these characters?

City Hunter's idea about hypersleep malfunction is something I've thought about too.  Once again though, it's still an explanation - a contrivance to explain something that, if this movie was made instead of Alien 3, needn't exist.

I think 30 years would give some good breathing space. Obviously these aliens are not something you would run into everyday. At the end of Aliens it is implied that the entire species were wiped out. Maybe the Company did some digging on LV-426. Maybe they found some DNA and after many years of failed experimentation managed to clone them. Maybe they chanced upon another derelict ship. The one in the concept art certainly looked a bit different to the broken armed one on LV-426 that was supposedly destroyed by the AP explosion. Lots of maybes and variables.

Also keep in mind that between Alien and Aliens we had a 57 year gap of nothing happening. And between Alien 3 and A:R we had a 200 year gap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed