Alien3 Legacy Cut

Started by 0321recon, Apr 26, 2024, 08:35:01 PM

Author
Alien3 Legacy Cut (Read 3,084 times)

SiL

SiL

I mean I'm sure calling him swine will really motivate him after we've been asked to be constructive?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm withholding judgment, but I'm not optimistic.

I have a strong feeling that this 4k edit is way too far along and his opinions are way too entrenched for anything we say here to make a bit of difference.

I'll happily retract my words if I'm wrong.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Come on folk, tone down the personally directed responses. It's unnecessary.

SM

SM

It's a labour of love - like fan fic, fan art, cosplay etc. The fact everyone here disagrees shouldn't shift his decisions. Me least of all since I think all fan edits are bad.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I already called it a hatchet job.  Not much else I can say now that I haven't said already.

The guy who's making it is welcome to prove that asshole on AvPG (me) wrong by reversing those stupid changes, but I won't hold my breath.

It's just a shame that this is the only 4k version of Alien 3 on the horizon and, as it stands now, it's a shameless act of artistic vandalism.

SiL

SiL

I'm  hopeful that seeing how the line resonates with audiences, and the perspectives given here, might get him to rethink his decision. Especially since people who are otherwise keen to see his work would sooner not watch it for the sake of something he considers simple to remove.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Man, as someone familiar with the ins and outs of the Alien fan edit, I gotta admit these narrative changes are disappointing.

Alien 3, apart from maybe Covenant, is the only Alien movie that actively does not care if you like it. It's divisive, it's mean, and it's ruthless in how much it wants to get that across to viewers. And I think that's a large part of what makes it a great film. Over the years it's become second to the original for me.

While I can understand why you'd want to make Dillon someone to root for - the point is that you can't, or rather, shouldn't. His acts of redemption throughout the film don't make him a good person - just a better person than he once was. And if you can leave this plane of existence a better person than you were before you were pitted against the scariest, most gruesome creature in the galaxy, well that just shows you how hopeful Alien 3 also is! To echo what's been said, the worst of the worst saved the galaxy in Alien 3, with Ripley being their guiding light of redemption.

I do hope that the editor rethinks the narrative decisions, because the color corrected effects in the 4k package would've made this the definitive edition for me.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Let Dillon be Dillon, not just a generic movie good guy please.

SM

SM

Quote from: GrimmVision on Apr 29, 2024, 10:58:04 AMMan, as someone familiar with the ins and outs of the Alien fan edit, I gotta admit these narrative changes are disappointing.

Alien 3, apart from maybe Covenant, is the only Alien movie that actively does not care if you like it. It's divisive, it's mean, and it's ruthless in how much it wants to get that across to viewers. And I think that's a large part of what makes it a great film. Over the years it's become second to the original for me.

While I can understand why you'd want to make Dillon someone to root for - the point is that you can't, or rather, shouldn't. His acts of redemption throughout the film don't make him a good person - just a better person than he once was. And if you can leave this plane of existence a better person than you were before you were pitted against the scariest, most gruesome creature in the galaxy, well that just shows you how hopeful Alien 3 also is! To echo what's been said, the worst of the worst saved the galaxy in Alien 3, with Ripley being their guiding light of redemption.

I do hope that the editor rethinks the narrative decisions, because the color corrected effects in the 4k package would've made this the definitive edition for me.

We root for Dillon because he moved beyond his past and is the spiritual leader, guiding the others and generally keeping the peace.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Apr 29, 2024, 07:03:45 AMTellingly they both die in their last acts of seeming absolution. The only price high enough to pay to redeem themselves is their lives in exchange for countless others - and even that might not be quite enough.

sil

your ability to use the english language is phenominal. you should write a novel or something.

#cough#

essay about burke not working alone...........

*cough*

sorry off topic.

lol

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

My post wasn't to say that you absolutely shouldn't root for Dillon. Heck, I kinda do by the end because he's a bettered person and actually proves it. Without him, Ripley wouldn't have accomplished anything in Alien 3. But, clearly there are a ton of moral intricacies in rooting for someone who has a past which includes killing and raping even though they've seemingly moved past what they've done.

It's evident that it's causation for dilemma. Some people even go so far as to making fan edits wanting to remove Dillon's character flaws because they'd rather Dillon be a morally good character, someone to root for without those second guesses entering the back of their mind.

Rooting for Dillon really depends on moral stances and those can be so intricate that they can even facilitate contradictions. I also root for David because he's a well written, nuanced, and exciting villain so :P

I do believe Dillon is a well written character because he's flawed and not a cookie cutter cutout.

Project A34K

Project A34K

Hi everyone,

Your comments have all been taken on board and you made strong arguments. The line of dialogue explaining Dillon's backstory is being added back in. This isn't caving to pressure, you genuinely changed my mind.

Thanks for the feedback.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

I see this particular project is getting some pushback over certain choices.  But that's the thing with 'fan edits' in general, they're mainly done with the fan editor's own wishes in mind, no matter what anyone else thinks.  Looks like he's done some neat effects tweaks and re-grading work on it so far however, so good luck to him.

But for those like myself who prefer the 'dog-burster' footage over the 'ox' in an 'Assembly Cut', there's already the excellent Alien 3: Third Cut edit by 15MaF which retains the character moments as they are.  And he's done some neat tweaks along the way too, where re-grading is concerned.  Definitely my go-to version - https://ifdb.fanedit.org/alien-3-third-cut/ 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Project A34K on Apr 29, 2024, 04:58:41 PMHi everyone,

Your comments have all been taken on board and you made strong arguments. The line of dialogue explaining Dillon's backstory is being added back in. This isn't caving to pressure, you genuinely changed my mind.

Thanks for the feedback.

:o

Then I hereby retract my earlier criticism.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Apr 29, 2024, 05:21:59 PMI see...
Read the comment just above yours.

Quote from: Project A34K on Apr 29, 2024, 04:58:41 PMHi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

Lovely to see you around here, thank you for all the hard work you have put in to this project.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed